LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

K&N Filter question?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2005, 03:40 PM

K&N Filter question?

Has anyone put in a k&n fuel injection performance kit for a 02 z28 if so how do you like it was thinking about getting one thank you.
Old 06-13-2005, 03:42 PM

Re: K&N Filter question?

Get a lid and a clean paper filter. It'll do you just as good for about $250 less....which you can use on an Austin Ram Air kit (Super Sucker) that will actually get some cool air in your motor.
Old 06-13-2005, 03:53 PM

what kind of lid and paper filter?
Old 06-13-2005, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by black02z28
what kind of lid and paper filter?
Well everyone will tell you a lid is a lid and for paper I would recommend getting ac delco, seems to be the best paper filter. Since I run slp cai and slp lid, I use a k&n eventhough it does not offer the greatest hp gains versus a paper filter, I like the fact that I can clean the filter since it gets dirty pretty quick.

Charlie
Old 06-13-2005, 09:28 PM

Depends on your plans ... if all you are going to do for induction is a lid, then it is not a legitimate comparison as the cost of the FIPK will be around $350.

But if you have any plans of going to any kind of "cold air" induction system, then the FIPK will be as or more cost effective ... and the FIPK will deliver the same or better performance.

Other thing to keep in mind is hydrolocking. All other CAI systems are bottom or near bottom feeders ... in the 4 years I've been on the f-body boards, about every 6-8 months you will read where someone has hydrolocked their engine with one of the bottom feeding induction systems. Now someone will invaribly rebute this with how they drove through the second coming of Noah's flood with a FTRA/SLP CAI/Supersucker with nary a problem ... but the fact is it has happened ... I've yet to see anyone say they hydrolocked thier engine with a FIPK.

I'll let my bolt on time in my sig speak for itself ... 3650lb race weight +1600 D/A
Old 06-13-2005, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by black02z28
Has anyone put in a k&n fuel injection performance kit for a 02 z28 if so how do you like it was thinking about getting one thank you.
I have a FIPK kit on my car and can't recomend it enough. I used to have a slp lid and slp ram air and it did great. But to me it seemed the engine would be able to breath much better with the FIPK than the lid.

I started shopping around and then I ran into an outstanding deal on the FIPK, $221 + $15 shipping. I bought that and installed it and upon first start up the exhaust sounded so much deeper. It broght a smile to my face. Then when the rpms dropped to idle you could actually hear the air being sucked in. I took it for a test drive and didn't regret buying it one bit. It pulled so much harder all through the power band. I was able to spin my tires at a 30 mph and on more than one occasion at about 50 mph with an automatic! I sold my lid and ram air for about $120.
Old 06-13-2005, 10:09 PM

Hmmm...stock for stock car...

K&N FIPK @ 70mph
Lid+SSRA @ 70mph

...and your IAT temps will be quite a bit lower without having to spend $1000 on a ram air hood. Cooler air = more dense air = more power. That's just my $.02 .

Last edited by SSpdDmon; 06-13-2005 at 10:11 PM.
Old 06-13-2005, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by SSpdDmon

...and your IAT temps will be quite a bit lower without having to spend $1000 on a ram air hood. Cooler air = more dense air = more power. That's just my $.02 .
IAT temps with a the FIPK are exactly the same as with any other system ... including stock ... they will be high while the car is static, but once it is in motion the temp will drop to ambient with all systems ... the temp will never be cooler than ambient.
Old 06-14-2005, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by V6toZ28
IAT temps with a the FIPK are exactly the same as with any other system ... including stock ... they will be high while the car is static, but once it is in motion the temp will drop to ambient with all systems ... the temp will never be cooler than ambient.
I don't know how that's possible with a plain lid or an FIPK on a Z28 with a stock, insulated hood. The air being pulled into the motor is coming from a warm engine compartment...and the last time I checked, you can't do the !FRA mod with an FIPK. On top of that, I have read where independent tests have shown kits like the VaraRam for the C5's and the SSRA's for our cars have dropped IAT temps by >10*. Yes, it will never be cooler air than outside of the car. But, it will be cooler than the air trapped or swirling around in the engine compartment.
Old 06-14-2005, 09:32 AM

I don't know how that's possible with a plain lid or an FIPK on a Z28 with a stock, insulated hood. The air being pulled into the motor is coming from a warm engine compartment...and the last time I checked, you can't do the !FRA mod with an FIPK. On top of that, I have read where independent tests have shown kits like the VaraRam for the C5's and the SSRA's for our cars have dropped IAT temps by >10*. Yes, it will never be cooler air than outside of the car. But, it will be cooler than the air trapped or swirling around in the engine compartment.
As opposed to reading about tests, I've done them ... the IAT temp drops to ambient with every system as soon as the car is moving ... including the stock airbox.

Air doesn't "swirl" around the engine bay ... there are two airflow systems engineered into the Camaro. One drives the engine cooling system, the other drives fresh air directly to the front of the airbox The FIPK is designed to maximize the air flowing to the air box area ... the bottom feeding CAI induction systems ignore the air flowing to the airbox and cannabalize the air cooling the engine.

Last edited by V6toZ28; 06-14-2005 at 09:44 AM.
Old 06-14-2005, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by V6toZ28
As opposed to reading about tests, I've done them ... the IAT temp drops to ambient with every system as soon as the car is moving ... including the stock airbox.

Air doesn't "swirl" around the engine bay ... there are two airflow systems engineered into the Camaro. One drives the engine cooling system, the other drives fresh air directly to the front of the airbox The FIPK is designed to maximize the air flowing to the air box area ... the bottom feeding CAI induction systems ignore the air flowing to the airbox and cannabalize the air cooling the engine.
I'm confused...where exactly does the air come in then? Without modification to stock parts, there's styrofoam behind the stock grille, a radiator shroud covering the opening from underneath, the headlights and turn signals are relatively sealed off, and the foglights aren't exactly pointing air in the direction of the lid. So, where is all of this cool air you speak of coming from?

And let's not forget the +70mph part of a kit like the SSRA or VaraRam where air pressures begin to change. This is evident in the common positive LTFT's seen after the install of these systems. The operating range of the VE table has changed and the PCM is correcting for the increased quantities of air entering the motor.

Then again, I could be wrong about all of this...good discussion.

Last edited by SSpdDmon; 06-14-2005 at 10:13 AM.
Old 06-14-2005, 08:11 PM

I'm confused...where exactly does the air come in then? Without modification to stock parts, there's styrofoam behind the stock grille, a radiator shroud covering the opening from underneath,
Most people don't know ... that styrofoam behind the stock grill is a splash plate ... it directs the air up though an opening in the bumper. The air will then splash against the closed hood, flowing along the hood directly to the intake. It's actually pretty clever engineering in it's simplicty.

If you can't spot it, just pull your car into the garage, turn out the lites -or wait till dark - and shine a flash lite into the stock grill ... you will see the light ...
Old 06-14-2005, 08:26 PM

I love mine. Definately felt a good gain right from the go. And you never have to replace the filter. (just cleaned mine for a second time)