LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

"Drove 2000 SS through flash flood and now I'm paranoid" question

Old 03-04-2015, 07:28 PM

Question "Drove 2000 SS through flash flood and now I'm paranoid" question

Hey fellas (and gals),

I lost my '95 LT1 to hydrolocking recently (I didn't know what hydrolocking was then). I think it sucked up loads of water during a flash flood thanks to the K&N FIPK I installed.

Bought a 2000 SS Camaro after this, and, wouldn't you know, ran into another flash flood Sunday night. The car struggled to go through the water, which was about 4 inches high, but never shut off on me, like the LT1 did. I drove relatively slow, but water still flew up pretty high while making my way through. Checked under the hood when I parked, and there were some droplets scattered about, but the air filter (K&N) and everything else seemed dry.

There's been some squeaking from under the hood since then, and I'm suspecting it's one of the a/c pulleys (water messing up one of the pulleys makes sense, right?), but drives normally.

My main question is, should I go through the steps one goes through when they hydrolock, like checking spark plugs, changing oil, even if it didn't shut off? Or are there other precautions I should take?

Trying to make this Camaro last for the long haul, would hate to lose another one. Any help is appreciated.

-Paranoid

Last edited by jasonduaine; 03-04-2015 at 07:30 PM.
Old 03-04-2015, 08:04 PM

Re: "Drove 2000 SS through flash flood and now I'm paranoid" question

The air filter is considerably more protected from water with the ls1 setup compared to a cold air lt1 setup.

Unless the air filter was soaking wet I wouldn't worry about it. The squeaking is no doubt from an idler or tensioner pulley in the accessory drive.

Water flew up pretty high huh? maybe take it easy through standing water? These cars are low slung bottom breathers, dont make the same mistake twice..
Old 03-04-2015, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by 8cylinders>4
The air filter is considerably more protected from water with the ls1 setup compared to a cold air lt1 setup.

Unless the air filter was soaking wet I wouldn't worry about it. The squeaking is no doubt from an idler or tensioner pulley in the accessory drive.

Water flew up pretty high huh? maybe take it easy through standing water? These cars are low slung bottom breathers, dont make the same mistake twice..
O.K., I'll check the pulleys tomorrow morning and take the time to change them out myself. Thanks for the reply! Yep, it sucks, totally wasn't expecting that amount of water out of no where. Next time I'm just going to pull over and wait. Not going to press my luck.
Old 03-07-2015, 09:44 AM
Administrator

A squeaking pulley due to water intrusion should respond to a liberal spray of WD40. The "WD" stands for "water displacement".