LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

E3 plugs??

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2018, 12:15 AM

Question E3 plugs??

Heys guys, just thought I would ask the LS1 EXPERTS on their opinion about these plugs for my 98 Z28. I bought a set and put them in my daughters 2003 Suburban 5.3 and they seemed to work great but it’s not a performance motor just soon to be a kid hauler( I will be a first time grandfather). I did some reasearch and it seems that people really like the TR55?? What would the LS pros on here recommend for a stock LS1 with 100,000 miles on it? I actually bought enough of the E3 plugs to do my Z28, 03 Z71 and my 95 Vette but after reading reviews it seems it might be a gimmick plug? Please help an old man keep his toys going. Thanks again and you guys are really a wealth of information. I LOVE THIS SITE!
Old 08-25-2018, 07:57 PM

Re: E3 plugs??

I've actually been running the Bosch Platinum +4 in my '98 Z28 for years. Four electrodes have got to be even better than three, right?!

In all seriousness, there was some discussion years ago over at ls1tech.com about the Platinum +4 being a gimmick plug or not and some of us have had great results with it, others didn't really think they did anything. I ran the +4's in my original LS1 and then swapped over to an LS6 longblock with the stock GM plugs since i bought it new from Chevrolet. After several years and less than 10K miles, I developed a missfire and swapped back in the +4's from my original LS1 along with new plug wires, and it runs great. Granted it could have been a wire too, but I really like the plugs too. They're harder to find nowdays for some reason, but I've got a spare set of +4's and TR55 plugs and to be honest, when it's times, I'll probably go with the +4's again.

I'd say try the E3's and see what happens...
Old 08-26-2018, 04:44 PM
rwb

I put e3's in my Audi a4, it didn't make any difference in power or milage on that car. I doubt it will make a difference on your car. I run tr55 in my boosted LS without any problems on it so I'll stick with them.
Old 08-28-2018, 11:18 AM
Administrator

Multi ground electrode plugs were "invented" to extend spark plug life, in the era before precious metals like platinum and iridium were used. The laws of physics dictate that electricity seeks the path of least resistance. Even though there may be 2, 3, or even 4 ground straps, a SINGLE spark jumps the smallest gap. The other electrodes go unused, until the gap on the sparking ground strap opens up larger than the next closest ground strap. In effect, where single electrode (non-precious metal) spark plugs used to last 15,000 - 20,000 miles, a 4-strap plug could last 60,000 - 80,000 miles.

Important thing is, there is a SINGLE spark, and it has no different properties than the spark from a plug with only one ground strap. The possible down side to the multi-electrode design is shrouding of the SINGLE spark by the mass of the surplus electrodes.

E3 has a TV commercial that shows the spark jumping all over the place, from one electrode to another, implying that it will produce a stronger multiple spark. Doesn't work that way. A misleading commercial.
Old 08-28-2018, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Multi ground electrode plugs were "invented" to extend spark plug life, in the era before precious metals like platinum and iridium were used. The laws of physics dictate that electricity seeks the path of least resistance. Even though there may be 2, 3, or even 4 ground straps, a SINGLE spark jumps the smallest gap. The other electrodes go unused, until the gap on the sparking ground strap opens up larger than the next closest ground strap. In effect, where single electrode (non-precious metal) spark plugs used to last 15,000 - 20,000 miles, a 4-strap plug could last 60,000 - 80,000 miles.

Important thing is, there is a SINGLE spark, and it has no different properties than the spark from a plug with only one ground strap. The possible down side to the multi-electrode design is shrouding of the SINGLE spark by the mass of the surplus electrodes.

E3 has a TV commercial that shows the spark jumping all over the place, from one electrode to another, implying that it will produce a stronger multiple spark. Doesn't work that way. A misleading commercial.

Thanks for your insightful reply.
Old 10-07-2018, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by BandDirector Blk98ZM6
I've actually been running the Bosch Platinum +4 in my '98 Z28 for years... there was some discussion years ago over at ls1tech.com about the Platinum +4 being a gimmick plug or not and some of us have had great results with it, others didn't really think they did anything.
I jumped onto the Bosch +4's when they first came out. Delco had just released the V-shaped Rapid Fire plugs and these +4's looked amazing, lol. My only issue with the plugs was the threaded tip... the caps kept coming loose and then I'd develop a misfire. I'd pull the wires, tighten the tips as best I could and a few thousand miles later... misfire again. Frustrating. Finally just pulled all the plugs and tightened the tips with pliers till I felt like I was gonna strip them. Never had an issue again, lol.

Old 11-28-2018, 08:00 AM

I always ran the Bosch platinum 4x with the 4 prongs but I just tried the e3 .44s for the lt1 and will be installing them soon..
Old 03-20-2019, 10:49 AM

Smile Re: E3 plugs??

I run the NKG TR55 copper plugs in Sara (2001 garage queen), I only average 1600 miles a year. I have never heard anything good about the E3 plugs.