LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

does your LS1 burn bubber easily when you go WOT from 5-10 mph?

Old 10-28-2002, 11:11 PM

What tires do you have and what psi is in them? F1's?

How are you shifting into 2nd? What RPM are you shifting at? Are you using a quality gas of 91 OCT or better? Did you get a bad tank?

If you have F1's with 32-35psi and you are powershifting into 2nd 5800-6000RP and dumping the clutch you should bark!

Again, this is no real way to measure things. Also you don't have to wait till 3K to dyno. I waited until 500mi changed the oil with dino oil and at 1000mi strapped in on the dyno. It's the first 500mi that break in the rings and seat the valves on these new high tech roller cam LS1's.

Then at 3K miles I changed to Mobil 1 syn. and let the mods begin!
Old 10-29-2002, 12:57 PM

Originally posted by blacknight
I'm gonna get it dynoed on a dynojet.
Great. When are you doing it? Let us now how it goes.
Old 10-29-2002, 04:36 PM

i just threw up the idea on the pcm flash. Thought about it b/c mine felt stronger when i did. Although mine does break the tires when shifting at about 6000 grand to 2nd, i can't exaclty break them loose from a stop unless i dump it a little.
Old 10-29-2002, 05:45 PM

Redz 02 I see in your sig that you have 4.10 gears so of course your gonna break the tires loose from 1st to second. I still might reset the pcm for the hell of it. I got my radio code on hand and I need to reset the clock back anyways. Also when I fillup the gas tank I will only go to Chevron. It sucks living in california will only 91 octane gas available. I once put in 100 race gas from my local 76 station in my stang and leaving the station I spun the tires at a 30mph roll in second, never did that with 91. Do any of the octane boosters work or are they all crap?
Old 10-31-2002, 06:25 PM

I've owned 6, 5 litre mustangs over the years (still own 3, one which runs 9's) but on Monday I bought a '00 T/A( traded my '97 T/A). I really have'nt tried to roast the tires off yet but i can tell you it has a completetly different feel. Its so quiet and smooth that it seems like your going slow until you watch the speedometer accelerating at an incredible rate.
This might seem like a stupid question but do you have the traction control on?

-------------------
'88 Saleen- 9.3@145
'89 Steeda-12.5@113 N/A
'95 Saleen S351- stock
'00 T/A-M6,red/black leather,stock except for 17" Torque Thrust II's
Old 10-31-2002, 07:16 PM

I have the traction control, ASR off whenver I decide to drive hard. I do realize that the LS1 is a pretty smooth motor compared to the 5.0. Today I drove both cars and the stang just seems to accererate with much less effort. I am convinced that it just needs more miles. I have read many posts about how the LS1 was a dog until they got around 3000-6000 miles on it and now they smoke the tires really good going into second. I like both cars in different ways. I need to take a long trip in the camaro. I just don't drive it enough.
Old 11-01-2002, 10:16 AM

Unhappy

I still think something is wrong with your car. My Z28 smoked the tires 1-2 right out of the dealer lot with under 6 miles on the clock. Once again, I owned a 1989 5.0 GT that went 12.9 (on stickies) and there is no comparison between the two. The Z28 would especially kill it from a roll. I wish you luck with the car, hopefully it is something minor.
Old 11-01-2002, 10:53 AM

Cool

This weekend I'll reset the pcm since it's worth a shot. Then I will just drive it more and get them miles racked up. Some guys say they can smoke the tires easily and other day they can't so I don't know who to believe. At least with the camaro I got a warranty unlike the stang.
Old 11-24-2002, 03:03 PM

I had been feeling the same way until I had a friend drive my car and crapped in the passenger's seat as he punched it and downshifted @ 60mph. BTW, my friend drives a 2000 GT and just said WHOAAAAAA ****TTT! as the engine kept producing gobs of power well after his Stang would have pooped out.

I don't think my time is representative of what my car can do when I learn how to launch it, but I am doing 13.7's @ Carlsbad (notoriously ****ty track) and I dyno'd @ 295 rwhp and 321 torque.

If you want to race around and see if yours is comparable, I would be glad to. I am in Rancho Santa Margarita. Drop me a line : clever1@***.net

P.S. For a good dyno-jet/performance shop, Goto GRC Performance in Aliso Viejo. Ask for Paul and tell him Daryl sent ya!
Old 11-24-2002, 03:17 PM

10-20mph yea if I floor it I will just spin and keep spin and when I shift to second same thing will happen just keep spinin...Fun stuff. The two cars you are comparing are apples and oranges the ls1 has a different power band so It may not fell has fast but it probably is. Also you could be used to it already. I don't think my car is fast but everyone that drives it or rides in it thinks so...Go have someone ride with you and let them tell you also the dyno thing is a good idea

Seth
Old 11-24-2002, 03:22 PM

P.S. Black....If you want 100 octane fuel and don't mind paying $4.50 a gallon (WOW), just head up the 5 a few exits and stop @
25172 Cabot Rd, Laguna Hills, CA 92653

I-5 N toward LOS ANGELES. 2.75 miles

Take the LA PAZ RD exit. 0.32 miles

Turn LEFT onto LA PAZ RD. 0.19 miles

Turn LEFT onto CABOT RD. 0.09 miles

http://www.osbornauto.com/racing/100locations.htm

D
Old 11-24-2002, 07:45 PM

Wink

I wish my car was fast..its a slow POS....
Old 11-25-2002, 02:37 AM

Originally posted by Camaro ChriSS
2.73 gears in an A4 are definitely more of a highway high speed (top end) gear. Smoking the tires with these is darn hard compared to the 3.23s.

Buy a convertor and that will change things...
thanks for the advice...yeah i wish mine was an m6.
as for a converter, i willl save my money for that day
Old 11-25-2002, 04:42 AM

Hey man, I have a couple questions for you and some good news. Let me start off with the good news. When I first purchased my 02 TA I was very dissapointed with the way it felt. Seemed to be lacking tq and overall just did not impress me that much. As the mile came on so did the power. I cannot even start to explain how different the car feels. It literally gets stronger by the day. When I first got her, she wouldn't lite the tires up or even chirp them unless i punched it at around 5k, then she would chirp. I never had a problem chirping on a 1-2 shift, but we'll get into that later. ANyway, I was concerned about the performance, I asked myself if i got a dud. Well, she laid down a corrected 312hp and 338tq to the wheels. Then I took her to the track and ran a 13.7 at 104 in 90 degree heat and no traction.

As the miles kept coming the car has noticably gotten stronger. Now, at 350orpm is 1st, she will bark the tires and take off like a rocket. Also, I have now run a best of 13.606 and hit a high of 105.9mph in the quater. This is with a bad friggan synchro that locks me out of third if i shift quickly at anything over 5500rpm going into third.

Just wait to get some miles on her and I guarantee you she will feel better.

Now for the questions and some things to try. When you are going for a WOT romp what exactly are you doing? Try this. In first, bring her to about 35-40mph, keep her there for a second, then quickly remove your foot from the pedal, then mash it back down. If this does not work, do it from 5 grand and you should definately bark them.

My other question is how do you shift? These cars will rev to 6200 though I will warn you the factory tach is slow, so you can bang the limiter if you go by the tach. The faster you shift and the higher the rpm you shift at will effect this greatly.

I have never had any issue barking second, occasionally will get third, but my synchro problem ruins that most of the time.

Do you speed shift? I have speed shifted from 1st to 2nd a few times and lost time at the track because it will kick the *** end out a couple feet and lose way to much traction.

Anyway, I would not be that concerned with not burning out in an M6 at that slow of a speed and in time they will bark from about 3500rpm up on a nice throttle mash.

Try some different shifting techniques. Quicken your shift and rev her more and if that don't work, speed shift the bastard and put a smile on your face.

Hope this helps you out.
Old 11-25-2002, 12:21 PM

I have an 02 M6 Firehawk. At first the car was definetly not as fast as I thought it should be. I have a certain stretch of back road where I can get a good WOT run in. I take this road every so often when my foot starts to feel real heavy. Well at about 900 miles it was awful. I was really disappointed that I couldn't even chirp from 1st to 2nd. Partly from me being unfamiliar with the car too. But now, in fact just the other day, I spun like crazy from 1st gear 10-15mph roll, had to let off a little to starighten it out, slammed it into second and spun like crazy, had to let off a bit and go to 3rd where I met traction and the car just took off even faster. I now have only 4000 miles on the car. I can't wait until 10,000!! I dynoed at 2500 miles with 312/326 on a dynojet.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: does your LS1 burn bubber easily when you go WOT from 5-10 mph?