LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

does your LS1 burn bubber easily when you go WOT from 5-10 mph?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2002, 09:25 PM

I'm not a mustang lover. The whole reason I bought my LS1 is because the engine is supposed to be so strong. I love the looks of late model camaro's and firebirds. I think my stang is ugly and I can never believe how anybody would buy a new gt over a LS1 which costs about the same. I sure pray that my car justs needs more mileage. My camaro should totally destroy my stang. I have revved her to 5500 about 6 times and she didn't really shove my back in the seat at all. Only time will tell. At this time however I have the slowest LS1.
Old 10-23-2002, 09:31 PM

EX owner of a 89 GT/NEW owner of 98 LS!

Look black....u have a dud.

I owned an 89 Gt and could chirp the hell out of it, but the z28 can do the same and its much faster. I can't feel the difference in first gear, but once rpms climb in 2nd gear...FORGET IT DUDE stang/can't hang. Screw that miles thing you doing. I test drove a z28 with 22 miles on it and the joint flew. Something is obviously wrong.
Old 10-23-2002, 09:55 PM

Can I burn them up froma 5-10mph roll? Hell, I can do it from a 35-40mph roll on a good day
Old 10-23-2002, 10:40 PM

When I got my SS they filled it up with regular gas. After all, the manual says it will run on 87 octane. But it will lose some performance. They also filled it up once when I went back for some additional paperwork. It ran like a dog with that crap in there. Be sure you run Supreme all the time. Even if you just use regular or mid grade every now and then, the PCM will learn the decreased power settings and retard the timing to avoid knock. It took a whill to get it running good after this but it finally did relearn the settings for performance mode. Mine also felt sluggish until after it had about 5,000 miles or so. It seems much faster now than it was when new. I now have 11,000 miles. Last weekend I ran it on a roadcourse and it was very fast. I beat Stang GT's by 5 seconds and even an '03 Cobra by over 3 seconds on a 68 second track. Z06's were running 64.X with race tires. I have Yokohama AVS-I street tires and 16 inch wheels.

Try recalibrating the PCM by disconnecting the battery for a couple minutes. Once you reconnect it, go drive the p*ss out of it. Let it know you want it to run. You'll probably see an improvement. Just be sure to use Supreme gas at all times.

Otherwise there is something wrong. It could be a bad knock sensor causing the PCM to retard the timing in error. It could be anything. An autotap or dealership can hook the car up and tell exactly what the sensors are reading and diagnose the problem for sure.

There is also a little thing called torque management programmed into our cars. After a shift the TM reduces the amount of available torque for a second to keep you from spinning the rear wheels by mistake. I don't know about the HPP3 but the Predator will program this out of the picture. Then you should be able to go through a set of tires in just days rather than having to wait months and months for new rubber. (TM is seperate from TCS. Traction control relies on sensors to dictate what action it takes. TM from what I understand is always there every time you upshift.)
Old 10-23-2002, 10:42 PM

...on a hard 1st to 2nd shift, at almost ANY RPM, especially higher up (obviously), those tires should be breaking loose like crazy!
Good luck with this man, hope things get better
Old 10-23-2002, 10:49 PM

I think this post is somewhat misleading and here's why: We're not getting enough info from this guy.

You say you can't get the tires to chirp or spin from a 5-10mph roll in 1st gear? But at what rpm are you going WOT from at that point? Typically, you'll be in the low rpms at those speeds after just taking off from a dead stop unless you use your clutch aggressively to get up into the higher rpms immediately at a low speed. Basically, an M6 will be a total DOG if you floor the car from the above-mentioned roll while in the lower rpms. Of course the car will be slower because its completely out of its powerband. You'll generally feel the power of an LS1 starting at about 3,000rpm's during a 1st gear roll(usually not a chirp w/ 3.42's, but you'll definitely feel it). And my Z would easily chirp/bark the tires from 4,000 & up during a 1st gear roll(no downshifting) when it was bone stock! From a dead stop, I absolutely could NOT keep my car from spinning and laying rubber during a dead stop launch(only using like 1,500-2,000rpm's).

Also, what kind of pavement are you on? A lot of times that can actually keep a car from burning up the tires. Weather also plays a part(cold vs warm).

I don't think your car is a dud at all. Maybe your just not use to driving an LS1 yet? Their power is very deceiving(and smooth). They "feel" weak in the lower rpms(even though their OK) but their peak torque in stock application is 4,200rpm's and peak horsepower is about 5,400rpm's or so. Just try getting your car into the 4,000-5,000rpm range right at the time you go WOT and you won't stop smiling all day. LS1's make their power up high. So getting on it down low won't help.

Mike

2002 M6 Z28
Old 10-24-2002, 12:03 AM

Originally posted by MARSTAUT
You must have gotten a dud , my 99 A4 will chirp shiftin' to second.
mine too
Old 10-24-2002, 12:45 AM

Here's what's going on. If I go wot at any rpm in 1st the tires won't break loose. Shifting into second at even 6000rpm I have only gotten the tires to slightly bark once. Tonight of course the car decided to run like it had 50% more power with the colder air and no smog. I completely know that the colder the air the denser the air charge and hense more power. However the difference shouldn't be so huge. I read articles of LS1's running low 13's and even high 12's stock in 90+ temps. Even though it ran better tonight I still couldn't get a chirp shifting. Maybe there is a faulty sensor that's causing it to run like a dog in the smog. The air temp lately has been in the upper 60's during the day and about 10 degrees colder at night. As far as what gas I use it's Union 76 91 octane, Cal only has 91. On a previous fillup I used 91 and tried a octane booster because it helped other cars of mine run better. No it didn't run better or worse with the booster. For now on I will use only Chevron 91.
If I reset the pcm will that screwup the electric odometer or oil change tripometer? Will it set the trip back to 0? If not I will reset the pcm tomorrow and will drive the **** out of it like one said. I really appreciate all the feedback and idea's. Keep them coming.
Old 10-24-2002, 01:01 AM

Dont forget if you reset the PCM to write down or find out your stereo's security code. Once you disconnect the batt you will have to enter it to make the radio work again.

I run 93 octane most of the time, but if I plan to run the **** out of it (track/autocross) I step up to the 94 octane and give her a good hard run or few to get the computer in the "go" mood. With this nice cold air (we are freezing+/-) she has been real tail happy at WOT in 3rd at 4500+ rpms... like it wants to rip the tires loose charging straight and hard in 3rd

Shifting at WOT at 6k should produce tire shreds and nothing less. Sounds like you have some sort of sensor problem... no SES light? Check under the hood and count plug wires... make sure you got 8 Seriously tho, if disconnecting the PCM, filling it with high octane, and driving it hard doesnt get it moving its time for a trip to the dealer.
Old 10-24-2002, 07:53 AM

PCM Reset

Here is a link to reset the PCM. Then drive normal , slow, fast and WOT for a few miles to relearn the curves. Do not unhook the battery for just a reset. I chirp hard at 70MPH on the GSC's going into third. Drives the girlfriend nuts. And makes me everytime. I still have less than 5k miles.

http://www.ls1.com/link_ecm.html

If that does not help then get it in for waranty check.

Later>>>>>>>>

Last edited by Z-Attitude; 10-24-2002 at 08:01 AM.
Old 10-24-2002, 09:54 AM

Mine will not spin from a stop or a slow roll, but if I go WOT at 35mph or so all hell breaks loose, and the tires do too From what I hear, the LS1 makes it's power a little higher in the RPM band.

With only a lid though, my car will chirp 1st, 2nd, and sometimes 3rd but i have an A4 car.

Originally posted by MARSTAUT
You must have gotten a dud , my 99 A4 will chirp shiftin' to second.
Old 10-24-2002, 10:23 AM
Banned

my 2 penny's:

my tires will get loose in 1st at almost any rpm...
HOW EVER they DONT always "bark".
a lot of the times u CANT hear the tires breaking,
they just have that "stealth" type of "barking".

what do u have anyway M6 or A4?
and gears? 2.73's?
Old 10-24-2002, 10:39 AM

When I reset the PCM that won't effect the tripometer and make it reset to 0? I've got my radio code. I will give that a try later today when I get back from work. I'm not looking for traction problems but it sucks that I can't even get the tires to even feel like there gonna break loose at speed in 1st when the engine is whinned up to 4000+rpm's and the car should get tail happy going into second and lay down some serious rubber. When I've watched episodes of Car and Driver tv and they have tested stock LS1's there always sliding when they shift into second and laying down lots of rubber and there crappy drivers who shortshift there cars. Let you know later how it goes.
Old 10-24-2002, 10:40 AM

Question

Did you post this on LS1.com also? If so, I replied with my user name "benjamin russick". If not, let me tell you that I had a worked 89 GT that was a solid 12 sec car on stickies and my bolt-on Z28 would eat it alive in any situation. You have either a serious defect, or are overlooking something obvious. Did you check the throttle stop? Plugs? Carpet under gas pedal? Seriously, my car will incinerate the 275s out back at WOT alll the way into 3rd. Good luck!
Old 10-24-2002, 11:52 AM

The only things I checked was the seal of my new airlid which I fine and I've only had that for less than a week and I once had the hood opened and I would give it gas and see if the throttle linkage was opening. Later today I will reset the pcm and remove the floormat and see how it goes. Last night it ran better f course with the slighty cooler air but still couldn't get a chrip shifting and I have 245's tires. Don't you think I should be able to light them up in the higher rpm range in at least 1st?

Quick Reply: does your LS1 burn bubber easily when you go WOT from 5-10 mph?