LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

does your LS1 burn bubber easily when you go WOT from 5-10 mph?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2002, 11:46 AM

These cars should do 13.5 at 106 RIGHT OFF THE DEALERS FLOOR! Faster with age. If NOT, something is WRONG...period
Old 10-26-2002, 11:22 PM

Burning the tires

I have a 2000 TA and I also have a prob breaking the tires... my brother has a 94 camaro and he can smoke his with no problem. I head that the 98-2000 had a slow bottom end but a higher top end..... well they fixed that in 2001 i hear thay have a stronger bottom end.... however you cannot compar the LS1 to the 5.0 or the 4.6 mustangs have a prob sticking to the ground well if all you are doing is spining tires than you are not going anywhere camaros and Trans Am's Always have had better traction than mustangs. I had a 91 Mustang 5.0 and even with the mods I put on it My 2000 TA still feels stronger despit no tire spin from a stop.
I have 30,000 mi on mine
Old 10-26-2002, 11:54 PM

I am still thinking if I should reset the pcm tomorrow and then go drove the crap out of it. Maybe since I drove is so carefully the first 1000 miles, breakin period the computer is programmed into running slow. Any imput into that theory? Either way when I get to 3000 I will have it dynoed. Then if all is not good then it's off to the dealership, but if it's putting out the power it should then I will take it to a track. Our cars have much better suspensions then stangs, with the factory torque arm and panard bar. Though the factory ones both kind of suck and I will probable in the future replace the panard bar and lower control arms will aftermarket one's. In 2001 Gm put in the LS6 intake and the 6.0 liter cam from the silverado for more bottom grunt and removed the egr and some other things. They make around 300 pound feet of torque at just 2000rpm on up. Mine sure doesn't feel like it does and the airlid didn't improve the throtte response or nothing at this time.
Old 10-27-2002, 01:12 AM

I have a 99 TA with 33,000 miles on it and I have never had a problem chirping my tires going into second and I have a automatic yeah I know I made a mistake with that but the price was right. and when I have my TCS off and have the pedal mashed it goes sideways and sometimes almost out of control shifting to second. maybe check your injectors or intake something maybe blocking one of the two. My buddy bought a brand new 2002 TA and had this problem. It was his ignition and plugs the dealer couldn't explain why the computer wasn't makeing the check engine light go on but it was only fireing on six instead of eight so if you have performance problems through out your gears this maybe it.
Old 10-27-2002, 07:58 AM

You may want to see what Gears you have in the rear end you might have 2.73's I think mine does
Old 10-27-2002, 09:51 AM

You have to be kidding right? You are basing your cars performance on tires chirping and spinning?

There are way to many factors to even think about comparing 2 cars in different areas on how one spins one dosnt.

1. Road surface
2. type/condition of tires
3. weather condition/altitude

I can tell you some roads my car will spin the tires in first nailing it other roads it pretty much hooks.

Take the car to the track and see what it runs. Tire spining is not a measure of power. The MPH it runs at the track is.
Old 10-27-2002, 01:01 PM

yha mines good . just hade it out today made a left on to my street, and said what the hell . i was rolling at about 10 - 15 mph and nailed it. oboy did she go, 1st all the way past my house 2nd still spinng 3rd time to slow, the end of road comming fast. i came back home to find black stips all the way up the street. hehe heh thats cool !!!
Old 10-27-2002, 01:45 PM

Originally posted by Pewter99_Trans
Ive got a stock 99 trans am and it will break traction crusing at 20mph. A4 with 3.23's. If I nail it from a dead stop I will leave a patch 25-30 feet long with the air pressure in my tires at 28. It will chirp the hell out 2nd which I think is pretty common.
Same thing here...

Nate
Old 10-27-2002, 06:16 PM

You guys that are easily breaking traction from a roll is that just one's with automatics? I can see how going wot from a roll in a auto and having the trans downshift would shock the rear and break traction. I've tried going wot at any speed in 1st on all different surfaces and nothing. No spin into second. Also most of the guys that are breaking traction have 98-2000 models so they have lots of miles and are well broken in. I have now just under 1500 miles. I know that loosing traction isn't a way to measure power. Hell a 4cyl compact will chirp into second. However with all the power the LS1 makes and it supposed to have gobs of lowend torque and a great topend I should be able to easily smoke the tires shifting into second and from a roll at higher rpm's. I have some videos of test drives of LS1's smoking the tires all the way through 1st and from around a 30mph roll hitting the gas and getting a chirp out back. I still don't know if resetting the pcm would do anything. Since I drove the car easily like one should the first 1000 miles maybe the pcm needs to be reset and then go drive the car like I stole it which is what a couple people suggested.
Old 10-28-2002, 04:07 AM

I have an a4 w/ 2.73s and it's never spun the tires unless from a dead stop
Old 10-28-2002, 12:25 PM

LS1's are deceptive. Sometimes they don't feel like they have pull down low - I've taken 5.0 and LT1 guys for a drive and they tell me they think their car can take mine. I respond with "ok, let try it." Then I proceed to put 6-12 lengths on them in a 1/4 mile, and suddenly they say to me "man, is the feel of that engine deceptive...". And it is.

Roads vary everywhere. Tires, weather, driving habits, weight distribution of car (the 5L's are well known for a light back end), etc... all greatly influence tire smoking abilities. Never EVER trust your SOTP meter. It's way too inaccurate.

Don't wait for 3000 miles to dyno. Just go do it now.

As for the theory of driving it slow for the first 1000 miles causing a problem with the pcm, that's not the problem I'm sure. I drove like that with my car too, and now it runs like a raped ape... no problems at all.

My .02.
Old 10-28-2002, 03:19 PM

I have a 2002 M6. When I get it dynoed, what is the absolute minimum HP to expect before coming to the conclusion that something is wrong? The reason I ask is that it feels like it should be a lot faster.
Thanks
Old 10-28-2002, 03:35 PM

Not all dynos measure the same, so keep that in mind. Some will vary by as much as 10 rwhp. And Mustang Dynos measure a lot lower than Dynojets (so you need to know which type it is). So its hard to give a precise number, but for a 2002 6-spd, I say 300 rwhp is a minimum (I'd be very happy about 310, and ecstatic with anything higher, bone stock). Some are as high as 330 rwhp, some as low as 275 rwhp (for '98-9 A4s). That's the range.

With a few mods, on one dyno ('00 A4) I ran 322/333, yet on another a year later, I pulled only 312/315. Yet my car was just as fast. Some dynos are more liberal while others are more conservative.
Old 10-28-2002, 03:39 PM

Originally posted by TerrorDome
I have an a4 w/ 2.73s and it's never spun the tires unless from a dead stop
2.73 gears in an A4 are definitely more of a highway high speed (top end) gear. Smoking the tires with these is darn hard compared to the 3.23s.

Buy a convertor and that will change things...
Old 10-28-2002, 08:35 PM

I'm gonna get it dynoed on a dynojet.

Quick Reply: does your LS1 burn bubber easily when you go WOT from 5-10 mph?