LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

does your LS1 burn bubber easily when you go WOT from 5-10 mph?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2002, 01:12 PM

Thats strange. The other day ran me rpms up to about 6 grand then slammed it into 2nd and i could feel the rear break loose. Actualy swayed i little rather than just a chirp. How do you drive your car? Sometimes if you drive to conservatively all the time
the computer goes into a conservative mode (trys to get more gas mileage than hp). Personaly, i would try clearing your computer (unplug the battery for about 10 minutes) since your off the breakin period, let the car learn a different driving style. If no go on that, i would try driving another car, or hell get a lid and exhuast, it may wake it up.
Old 10-24-2002, 01:14 PM

thats also with the stock 3.42's. Haven't had a chance to get the 4.10's and girdle put on.
Old 10-24-2002, 03:01 PM

My '02 SS spins them hard from 5-10 MPH, and chirps 2nd and sometimes 3rd on a powershift. With the N20 and street tires it's all smoke
Old 10-24-2002, 03:25 PM

I cant buy traction in the TA...First, second, third, chrip fourth...Yes in 3rd the tires are spinning still, even if I let them catch up in 2nd... The Z will chirp first-second and its an auto
Old 10-24-2002, 03:32 PM

blacknight--

I know Irwindale is only 1/8th mi, and Carlsbad has tumble weeds blowing across the track, but there's another track you might want to try. Have you heard about the track at Fontana (California Speedway)? It's about half an hour from where you live (off of the I-10 at Cherry Ave). I go out there every weekend during the racing season and run my car(s). It's a 1/4 mi track and it's pretty decent (not as good as Pomona was though). I run about 13.60s bone stock out there. You might wanna give it a shot. Go to their site: www.californiaspeedway.com and see when they have the season starting back up again.

As for you not being able to chirp the tires with an M6....I dunno, buddy, that does seem very odd. Bring it to Fontana and run it against one of the other 50 LS1s out there (more go on Saturday than on Sunday). I'm sure there's nothing wrong with your car and you're right in with the rest of the mix.

Anyways, if you do decide to come out and race look for my group (a couple of black LS1 camaros and a red '97 SS).
Les

Last edited by 2001z28Shark; 10-25-2002 at 02:25 AM.
Old 10-24-2002, 03:40 PM

What's your tire pressue\re?
Old 10-24-2002, 05:01 PM

I agree that your car must have a problem. My '02 Z has similar miles (just over 2k now) and I have to be careful NOT to turn them over if I accelerate hard from any dead stop (and usually ASR is on). I remember the first time I chirped them on the 1-2 shift- it was an accident. I was getting frustrated following a slower vehicle, so I shifted and changed lanes- and that was when it happened- a nice little chirp. At the time, I thought it had more to do with the lateral movement of the car but, regardless, I thought it was pretty cool. I have reproduced the 1-2 chirp a number of times but have never attempted the 2-3 or 3-4. Based on my experience (and I'm no expert) I agree that you should get the car checked.

I have a related question. I don't have any problem mildly turning them over when ASR is on (I've never attempted a lengthy burn out, ASR or not). So can I assume that ASR will always eventually kick in?

I only remember a couple of occasions where ASR really kicked in during semi-normal driving (minimal squirreling) unless it has been very subtle.

I'm not sure if I should have posted my question to a new thread. I Just thought it might be related here.
Old 10-24-2002, 08:29 PM

I first drove all the time with ASR on the first couple months but since I hit 1000 miles I turn it off all the time. I have revved the sucker to 5500-6000 about 6 times in first and about that many times in second and only chirped going into second once. The throttle response most of the time is crap even near peak power. I'm gonna toss out the floormat and take my shoes off tonight so I can feel the gas pedal better. I was gonna reset the pcm but I don't want to have the tripometer go to 0 and have the oil change program timer reset to 0.
Old 10-24-2002, 08:34 PM

Ive got a stock 99 trans am and it will break traction crusing at 20mph. A4 with 3.23's. If I nail it from a dead stop I will leave a patch 25-30 feet long with the air pressure in my tires at 28. It will chirp the hell out 2nd which I think is pretty common.

Last edited by Pewter99_Trans; 10-24-2002 at 08:49 PM.
Old 10-24-2002, 08:42 PM

Originally posted by blacknight
I was gonna reset the pcm but I don't want to have the tripometer go to 0 and have the oil change program timer reset to 0.
Oil change reminder is on a 5000 mile increments anyhow... you should be changing your oil more often than that no matter what type of oil you run

Just for you I decided to do a little test tonight...

rolling at 5 mph ... floor it -> smoke
rolling at 10 mph ... floor it -> controlled wheelspin

rolling at 65 with it wot -> tires dont want to hold on... lil squirrelly

also... if you reset the trip odometer. whats the big deal? Write down the current number and add it to new numbers.
Old 10-24-2002, 11:15 PM

Smile

rolling at 5 mph ... floor it -> smoke
rolling at 10 mph ... floor it -> controlled wheelspin

That's what my car should be doing. Thank's for doing that test. Now you'll need tires sooner. I can spin the tires from a stop but not one inch from a roll. Yesterday I was in a parking lot and 5 times I slowed down to 5 mph and floored it and nothing. Ok one time I went over a pothole so I got a little hop and lost some traction but barely. Back to resetting the pcm that won't effect the odometer at all? If not I will try that tomorrow. If that doesn't help then it's back to the dealership for the fourth time. Fallout removal, bad alarm shock sensor and 1000 mile oil change.
Old 10-24-2002, 11:53 PM

dont know about it affecting the trip odometer, but the cars overall odometer will remember no matter what you do with the battery.

You are quite welcome for the test. It was fun Not to worry, it wasn't on one of my good sets of tires. (Yes I have different sets for different "moods", Autocrossers tend to do that)

Also, if the dealer cant find something wrong, give your car some time. Mine really didnt start to wake up till about 10000 miles. Went to the track at 7000, ran a best of 13.7 @103 ; at 12000 miles ran a best of the times below. Note the much higher mph, in spite of virtually identical conditions.
Old 10-25-2002, 12:59 AM

it doesnt mess with the odomotor. I actualy did it on accident, had to use teminal posts for my side post battery to hook up my amps, left the + off too long and it cleared it, could tell b/c it had an extremely rough idle when i started it. Had to give it gas to keep it from dying, scared the crap out of me. Next start, vvvvvrrrooooommmm, gas mileage kinda sucked for a few weeks though. But know instead of a chirp into second with the asr off, it now rocks a little, kinda like its trying to get traction, then you feel it snap. still need to get it dynoed.
Old 10-25-2002, 02:12 AM

My LT1 A4 chirps 1-2 and 2-3 consistantly =] I just used GM CLeens (simiar to seafoam) two days ago and it chirped going 50mph when it downshifted...
Old 10-25-2002, 08:48 AM

1) My Stock LS1 Slaps around 5.0's daily.
2) Just yesterday, I had the tires squealing in second for a good two-three seconds with the shift from first to second, and that was good ol granny-shifting. Had I tried harder, that woulda been insane. And three people in the car might have helped that situation, maybe more traction?

Quick Reply: does your LS1 burn bubber easily when you go WOT from 5-10 mph?