LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Convertable vs. Coupe vs. T-Tops

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2003, 03:48 PM

Originally posted by 99blackSS
You must talk to the same few people, the majority of people who have t-tops don't leak and if they do it can be easily fixed. Certainly not a reason to no get t-tops.
So you know for a fact that the majority of people with t-top cars have never had a leak?

I think this represents a wide majority of people with t-top F-Bodies.

Take a look for yourself:
http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread...hreadid=412704
Old 11-16-2003, 04:12 PM

Only in heavy rain + wind will I ever get the occasional "drip" of water leak into my car, and it's right near the front seam where the driver's side T-top meets the A-pillar, but otherwise my car is virtually leak free. Also, I have two friends with T-topped F-bodies (a '95 Z28 and a '96 T/A) and neither of them have complained about serious leaks.

IMO, convertibles are great for weekend cruisers, or strictly nice weather cars, but as a daily driver, I would never want a convertible since my first car was a convertible (**cough** '85 VW Cabriolet **cough**) and I hate the poor visiblity out the small back window, and the tops never look that great when they're up either.

Trying to compare for racing differences though? I think that's been covered pretty well already. I think everyone would agree that a hard top would be the best, while T-top cars are not really that far off in weight or "structural rigidity" (especially with SFC's) but convertibles will definitely have a slight weight disadvantage, and more body flex.
Old 11-16-2003, 04:22 PM

t-tops or coupe..

1/4-time/speed aside: my friend has a '95z conv. and he couldnt stop talking about how much better driving my '99z was because his conv. has so much roll and flex in the body. i think for true versatility (if ya like the open conv feel but dont want its looseness and wieght) the t-top might be the way to go.

now there are debatable issues with t-tops (that we wont get into..) but im gonna through a vote in for the coupes im loving mine. id give second thought to owning a t-top; but id never drive a convertable. Period.

/IMO
/tek.
Old 11-16-2003, 04:35 PM

I have had 2 f-bodies so far with t-tops and I never had a leak unless I spray them directly with the hose. I am lucky I guess. I don't like the look of a convertable with its top up, especially on f-bodys.
Old 11-16-2003, 06:12 PM

None of my Birds leak. That's a 5 year old and an 11 year old car.

I say go T-top
Old 11-16-2003, 06:37 PM

Originally posted by SFB767
So you know for a fact that the majority of people with t-top cars have never had a leak?

I think this represents a wide majority of people with t-top F-Bodies.

Take a look for yourself:
http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread...hreadid=412704
People with leaking t-tops probably feel more inclined to say they leak then they are ok. Just like more people post here with engine problems then say that there engine is ok.

So you know for a fact more t-tops leak then don't leak?
x2

Last edited by 99blackSS; 11-16-2003 at 06:39 PM.
Old 11-16-2003, 09:11 PM

my '95 z t's leaked like crazy.

go with a hardtop for better performance, and rigidity.
Old 11-17-2003, 10:15 AM

Performance difference??? NONE. SO a vert weighs 200 pounds more... i know plenty of hardtops and ttop cars that can not touch my times with the same mods... on this board. Ur performance difference is all in the motor, driver, track conditions, and elevation. Consider them equal. As for body roll and handling... U are comparing an LT1 vert to a LS1 ttop car... there are some differences. However, that statement does hold true most likely. Verts handle worse then ttop or coupe cars. However, I personally didn't buy a TA for its Handling... ours cars are a joke for handling. Want Handling, buy a vette

96SFLZ- Majority of the tracks realize this flaw in the rule and will allow u to run to the closes flat number till u need a cage. Example, i was told by my local tracks (3 of them) that i can run until i hit 12.9's. which is about a tire mod away. I personally do not mind the cage (getting one soon). it does not interfere with the front 2 seats and the rear seats are comfortable but not very spacious. So no one sits in my rear seats anyway heh.

p.s the looks of a cage with the top down look good to me too heh

Last edited by StylezZ28; 11-17-2003 at 10:21 AM.
Old 11-17-2003, 11:15 AM

My T-tops are great! Even under a high pressure washer spray, no leaks at all....

T-tops are a beautiful thing... I love them. Nothing beats the tops off on a beautiful day!
Old 11-17-2003, 11:43 AM

I have a hardtop and my dad has a vert...If i could choose between the two cars, i would definitely take his over mine any day of the week. I love driving his car w/the top down, there is no other feeling like it. His car is an '00 SS with every single possible GM and SLP option you can get on that car (except chome wheels). Needless to say, his car is a pig. Not sure how much it weighs exactly, but its damn heavy. That car still manages to pull off a 13.56 ET in complete stock form. Oh yeah, its an A4. My car is pretty much a stripper '01 Z28 M6 with intake and exhaust mods, and a set of drag radials...i'm trapping upwards of 109 and running consistent 12.8's. Neither one of these cars leak whatsoever. Basically, it comes down to driver and conditions. If I had a choice between my car and my dad's car, i wouldn't even hesitate and take his car over mine any day. Not because the intereior and such is nicer, but just because I love the feeling of driving w/the top down. Our track has never mentioned anything about the roll cage rule for the vert. Then again, they don't make whoever is driving the vert where a helmet either....they're pretty lax on stuff.
Old 11-17-2003, 11:53 AM

My T-Tops never leak... but I dont drive my car willingly in the rain. I have been caught with it in the rain a couple of times but they never leaked.

T-Tops own. Resale value for a T-Top is much higher than a hardtop. Its a $500 factory option, but Ive seen two identical cars one T-Top one hard top sell, same mileage, both good condition, same year, options and everything, with the T-Top car sell for about $1k more. Convertibles are with the top up. Hard Tops are boring and T-tops give you the awesome convertible feeling without looking liek sh*t when you put them back on.
Old 11-17-2003, 04:16 PM

I went from a coupe to a vert...
The vert does seem a bit more unstable....visability sucks...no trunk space...somebody decided to slice my top and take my CDs

On the other...the vert has gotten me 100x more a%$ than the coupe. I just can't resist the attention I get from the ladies. From now on every car I buy will be a vert
Old 11-17-2003, 05:01 PM

I have never had a single drop of water. My t-tops seem to seal great.
Old 11-17-2003, 06:26 PM

Originally posted by Black01_Z
T-Tops own. Resale value for a T-Top is much higher than a hardtop. Its a $500 factory option, but Ive seen two identical cars one T-Top one hard top sell, same mileage, both good condition, same year, options and everything, with the T-Top car sell for about $1k more.

Actually, t-tops were a $995 option, not $500.
Old 11-17-2003, 06:26 PM

Originally posted by 99blackSS
People with leaking t-tops probably feel more inclined to say they leak then they are ok. Just like more people post here with engine problems then say that there engine is ok.

So you know for a fact more t-tops leak then don't leak?
x2
What are you talking about?

First you say that most people who have t-top cars have no leaks, but you present no information to support this. I posted that link to the LS1.com thread and I think like 90% of the people in that thread had leaks. I'd say a good portion of F-Body owners are online and probably frequent LS1.com or this site, see what I'm saying? There are probably some DIE HARD F-Body people on that site with leaks too, but they didn't bother posting because they don't want to admit that their F-Bod has any problems.

After I washed my car yesterday, I just cut two fresh pieces of electrical tape and sealed off my weatherstripping where it leaks. The bottom line is that I responded to this thread's author with the honest truth about what to expect from a large majority of t-top cars, so he would be informed about a negative aspect of owning a t-top car.

Quick Reply: Convertable vs. Coupe vs. T-Tops