LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

2000 LS1 vs. VTech Integra

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2002, 12:28 AM

well, i just thought i would add this, since today was another day. I met up with a few friends in a Dunkin' Donuts parking lot, also in the lot were a few other people i knew, and were all standing around their imports. So i went over to say whats up and one the kids asks to race, seemingly kidding. i ask what he was driving and he pointed out a 2002 VW GTI with the new 1.8 Turbo, then asked how much boost he was running, he replied 16lbs. So i accepted the challenge. We ended up having to go from a rolling start due to traffic, but low and behold 16lbs wasn't quite enough to keep up to the Trans AM. Sorry guys some Imports are fast, but the majority should really just keep to playing playstation in them.

------------------
Old 07-08-2002, 10:55 AM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GaRn:
[B]alrighty, get a CRX, ill strip it down, to about 1800 lbs.. drop a b18c1 in it, do some headwork to it, mabye some JE 12.5:1 pistons/Eagle rods, id be pushin 210+ hp at the wheels in that car, and weigh next to nothing, id prolly keep up with just about anything on the strip, and stay NA! track wise, id beat the living **** out of you.. B]</font>

okeydokey... whatever. i guess you could mod just about anything enough to take anything else.

my point was that, stock vs. stock, the z-28 will beat the integra in just about ANY performance contest that you could care to mention. as in when you posted that the integra could hang with a z-28 on a road coarse, you were wrong. period.

------------------
jay
san francisco

[This message has been edited by jthomas (edited July 08, 2002).]
Old 07-08-2002, 05:24 PM

ScottSS#2658 writes:
"Though the ricer mentality simply amazes me at times."

Why does the ricer mentality amaze you? it is a simple matter of power to weight. yes some do add ground effects and things, but thats more about having a car that they think looks "tight". but the power to weight ratio is what is essential to performance. if those ricer's said screw the turbo etc.... and spent the money trying to fit an ls1 and drive line into their 2500 pound cars it would smoke the doors off most the cars on the road.
Old 07-08-2002, 05:57 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by EddyZ28:
Integras are very slow. I find it very hard to belive that a so called turbo integra "walked" a 6 speed Corvette.

</font>
Buddy's Integra: 244 horsepower @ the wheels, weighs 2550lbs

Stock C5: ~290-300 horsepower @ the wheels, ~3100 lbs

What's so hard to believe about the Integra winning? It makes maybe 50 hp less, but weighs about ~550lbs less. It's more than believable. In fact, if you're ever in the area, shoot me an email and you can race the car yourself.

------------------
White 1990 LX Hatch 5.0 Nitrous:sold. Coming: Vortech S trim Black 1995 Honda Civic Ex Daily driver, 36 mpg

bigredjim.corral.net
Old 07-08-2002, 10:44 PM

Exclamation

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Stangdstryer:
ScottSS#2658 writes:
"Though the ricer mentality simply amazes me at times."

Why does the ricer mentality amaze you? it is a simple matter of power to weight. yes some do add ground effects and things, but thats more about having a car that they think looks "tight". but the power to weight ratio is what is essential to performance. if those ricer's said screw the turbo etc.... and spent the money trying to fit an ls1 and drive line into their 2500 pound cars it would smoke the doors off most the cars on the road.
</font>
But do you really think that the 2500lb frame is meant to handle an engine that weighs nearly twice as much??? You could probably fabricate a motorcycle with an LS1, but is the frame going to be able to handle the weight for as long as the Camaro (designed for the motor) would??? Probably not.

------------------
2002 Z28 - A4, 2.73's, Blk/blk, leather, T-tops, sport appearance package - just bought on June 26, 2002! - Pics

1981 Z28 - 383 stroker, TH350 trans., 3.42 posi - sold August, 2000 - Pics

1973 Camaro - Dad's & my project in the works - to be built: 355 Chevy, 11.5:1 pop-ups, "camel hump" heads (w/2.02 valves), solid cam, 4-speed.....it should be quick! - No Pics yet.
Old 07-09-2002, 11:06 AM

Motor is aluminum, weighs very little. few proper suspension components solve that problem, its like putting a Big block into a car that came with a small block back in the day, the front suspension was designed for the small block so to do the conversion you need to upgrade the front suspension. again the motor is aluminum and weighs very little that is one of the advantages of the new f-bodies when it comes to handeling, because the motor is aluminum weight is more equally distributed over all four wheels. and what do you mean by "But do you really think that the 2500lb frame is meant to handle an engine that weighs nearly twice as much??? "
an engine that weighs twice as much as the frame or the original motor. there is no way the motor weighs anywhere near 2500 pounds. but if you mean the motor that was in the car then you may be correct, but like i said that problem is quickly and easily resolved assuming someone has the correct parts for sale somewhere and you dont have to fabricate your own.but hey there are some pretty crafty people out there.
Old 07-09-2002, 12:20 PM

speedy,

Thanks for keeping us updated. Nothing worse than when a reacing thread is posted and no one follows up on it.

It's always dissapointing when another driver, who wants to race you, doesn't really acknowledge you before or after the race.

I haven't met an import car willing to race me yet, but I look forward to the today if I ever meet one that can keep up. I'll definitely give the driver a thumbs up salute.
Old 07-09-2002, 05:49 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GaRn:
alrighty, get a CRX, ill strip it down, to about 1800 lbs.. drop a b18c1 in it, do some headwork to it, mabye some JE 12.5:1 pistons/Eagle rods, id be pushin 210+ hp at the wheels in that car, and weigh next to nothing, id prolly keep up with just about anything on the strip, and stay NA! track wise, id beat the living **** out of you.. did you ever see that video of that ferrari f50 vs the lotus elise(honda powered)? that lotus had around 140 hp, at the flywheel, and kept up with the ferrari, because of his ability in the turns(weighed around 1900 lbs) and yes they were both pussin all the way.. eventually the ferrari disappeared but the lotus kept up for a while, and this was a track with some long straights too.. oh and nice win on the rx7! you must have quite a car.. the car i really want... an s2000! man! they arent near the fastest car, but they are so damn classy.. and on autocross tracks, obviously lighter cars have the advantage. there is this review on the honda prelude i read comparing its handling prowess to the vette... ill try to find it, quite a good handling car. Just wanted to say theres more than domestic muscle out there..</font>
Um....but you'd still be driving a CRX.

Seriously, there are some fast imports out there (Yes imports, not rice, rice isn't fast, it's gay). On a shakedown pass at the track once, testing out the car on spray, I lined up against a very stock appearing Integra. No 3ft spoiler, no body kit, no stickers. Hitting the nitrous in 3rd gear I ran an 11.40 @ 127, and the Integra was right on my ***! I was shocked when I looked in the rearview and didn't see him, had to check the side mirrors. I was impressed to say the least. Just goes to show, don't judge a book by it's cover.

Old 07-09-2002, 09:54 PM

Cool

"Stangdstryer", yeah, I realize that the LS1 is aluminum, and therefore lighter than an older 350 Chevy, so of course, I know it wouldn't be that much more weight on an import car. Also, my "weighs twice as much" comparison was between motors --- ie: original 4-cylinder vs LS1 V8 --- probably twice the weight (roughly).

I remember when I was younger seeing an old Toyota Celica with a 454 Chevy --- yup, an old big-block in a little Toyota!!! My dad and I were at the drags just to watch one day, and this guy was running in the 10's, all motor and with bad traction!!!

I know some imports are fast, but it's the mentality of people like my friend with the '90 Integra, who just tonight told me that with a supercharger on his car, running 10lbs boost, he would "guaranteed" beat my car (2002 Z28). I don't even wanna make bets on it, cause maybe he would, but I sure would have to see it to believe it.

------------------
2002 Z28 - A4, 2.73's, Blk/blk, leather, T-tops, sport appearance package - just bought on June 26, 2002! - Pics

1981 Z28 - 383, TH350 trans., 3.42 posi - sold August, 2000 - Pics

1973 Camaro - Dad's & my project in the works - to be built: 355 Chevy, 11.5:1 pop-ups, "camel hump" heads (w/2.02 valves), solid cam, 4-speed.....it should be quick! - No Pics yet.
Old 07-10-2002, 12:13 PM

Talking

I've gotta say that, coming from an interesting perspective, I am enjoying this thread immensely. :-)

I currently drive a '00 Integra GS-R VTEC. The lease is up in a few months, and I've already got my deposit down on one of the last '02 Z28's out there. This will be my third Camaro ('74 350V8 and '97 V6). Since the '97, I've owned a '98 VW Jetta VR6. As you can see, I've tried all the flavors and I think I'm returning to where I belong. :-)

I grew up in a house where my dad's only hobby was muscle cars -- he's the original owner of a '69 Mustang Mach 1 428CJ and is currently working on dropping a new small block into his '71 Chevelle.

I have NEVER EVER NOT ONCE experienced a tiny bit of mechanical difficulty with my Acura. My mother has had two Infinitis in the past 6 years and never had a single problem. My sister's Infiniti has been flawless. Unfortunately, all our domestic cars have been mechanical nightmares, including my '97. So what's my point?

My point is that I'm still going back to the F-body. I am not foolish enough to think that my new Camaro is going to be as reliable as my little 'Teg. But, even though the Acura is "peppy", I'm not STUPID enough to think that I could ever in any way shape or form smoke an LS1 off the line.

And as for "road courses" -- they vary a lot, unlike drag strips. Lap times are meaningless for the most part because a good driver in a small car might be able to take a big heavy powerful V8 if the course is very tight with short straights (if any at all), but if you open the course up a bit... there is no way an Integra is going to keep up with the power that the V8 is going to put down in the straights. Race an SCCA Solo II race and you'll know what I mean.

Steve
Old 07-10-2002, 12:37 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by TireSmoke:

And as for "road courses" -- they vary a lot, unlike drag strips. Lap times are meaningless for the most part because a good driver in a small car might be able to take a big heavy powerful V8 if the course is very tight with short straights (if any at all), but if you open the course up a bit... there is no way an Integra is going to keep up with the power that the V8 is going to put down in the straights.

Steve
</font>

actually, i have yet to see a road course that wasn't a great deal faster (more open) than what one would likely encounter on the street. even the newish "streets of willow" course, which is about as tight a track as you are going to find, has a straight that is at least a quarter mile long. anyone know of a really tight track here in the states? oh, orange cones in parking lots don't count... =)

------------------
jay
san francisco
Old 07-10-2002, 08:20 PM

I do a little road course stuff, and on the 2 tracks I've been on, not only couldn't the little import cars keep up .... neither could the M3's
Maybe I just haven't been on enough tracks, but I can't imagine being beaten by an Integra on an actual road course, no matter how tight it was. Maybe someday it'll happen, but I honestly doubt it.
Old 07-11-2002, 06:49 PM

Well, today I was called out again to race an Import. This was a kid that I graduated high school with in 2000, who then had a Talon FWD Turbo, now is driving a 1994 Mazda RX-7. I pulled up just to say "What's up?" and he asked to "Run It", so i said sure, then he realized that he knew who I was. Anyway, we drove to the local drag spot and ran it. Guess, just guess who took it. Yes, again the LS1 destroys the competition. So that makes a 3-0 record on the imports side, beating and Acura, VW GTI w/ boost, and now a Mazda RX-7. By the way, the RX-7 was not the Twin Turbo, just the six cylinder.

Also, I started this post for thoughts on wooping Imports, not for those of YOU that are defending them!!! SO QUIT THE BITCHIN' Anyone can make a car move with money invested. Simply the LS1 obviously doesn't need the hopping up, an Import does!

------------------
2000 Trans AM, Black on Black Leather, T-tops Hurst shifter on the T56 6 speed, Totally stock.

Kills:
Domestic: 1-0
Imports: 3-0
Old 07-11-2002, 07:39 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by speedy0009:
By the way, the RX-7 was not the Twin Turbo, just the six cylinder. </font>
lol, six cylinder, eh?

Old 07-11-2002, 10:14 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by TireSmoke:

[snip]I've owned a '98 VW Jetta VR6. As you can see, I've tried all the flavors and I think I'm returning to where I belong. :-)
</font>
I can relate. I've owned three Camaros ('78 Z, '84 Z, '94 Z) and driving a '96 VTEC Prelude for a year when I test drove an '98 LS1 Z28. That ended my Honda ownership almost instantly. I ended up selling it and getting my current '99 SS after that drive.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">

My point is that I'm still going back to the F-body. I am not foolish enough to think that my new Camaro is going to be as reliable as my little 'Teg. But, even though the Acura is "peppy", I'm not STUPID enough to think that I could ever in any way shape or form smoke an LS1 off the line.
</font>
Again, have to agree. My Prelude was flawless. Thus far, my '99 has been in the shop a number of times for a variety of minor flaws, the most recent being the ignition cylinder failing. While the fun factor on our favorite cars is off the scale, and the quality gets better every year, there is still a ways to go.

Oh yeah ... the LS1 will fry any stock VTEC motor.

------------------
'99 SS #4414, 6-Spd, T-tops
B&M Ripper, SLP Shift ****, BMR STB PHR, GW SFCs
TA Diff Cover, MacEwen Overlays w/TransAm Bezel

Quick Reply: 2000 LS1 vs. VTech Integra