General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Weird problem with third brake light

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2005, 02:42 PM

Weird problem with third brake light

After installing my new '01 OEM SS spoiler today I noticed a weird problem. When I push the brake very lightly only the third brake light come on, the other brake lights come on about a second later. If I use the brake in a “regular” way all brake lights come on. What is causing the third brake light to act this way ?

Thanks for you help

Alex
Old 01-30-2005, 04:04 PM

Re: Weird problem with third brake light

There is one set of contacts in the brake switch for the the 3rd light and another set for the regular lights. Though they operate in tandem, there might be a slight mechanical separation on when they each "make". That, coupled with the fact that the LEDs will illuminate at a faster rate than the regular filament bulbs makes the LEDs glow quicker than the other lights.
Old 01-31-2005, 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by shoebox
There is one set of contacts in the brake switch for the the 3rd light and another set for the regular lights. Though they operate in tandem, there might be a slight mechanical separation on when they each "make". That, coupled with the fact that the LEDs will illuminate at a faster rate than the regular filament bulbs makes the LEDs glow quicker than the other lights.
Thanks for your help, so basicly your saying that its normal and there is nothing I can do about it ?
Old 02-01-2005, 05:15 AM

Could it be related to do the ABS INOP synthom I've read about when installting an SS Spoiler on a ODB1 car ?
I've read that this can be solved by putting a 10 Ohm resistor in series. How exactly would I do that ? Do I just cut the wire and "extend" each end with the resistor ? In that case I would need 2 resistor each 10 Ohm . Would that work ? I'm really a novice at this...sorry
Old 02-01-2005, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by Blue_SS
Could it be related to do the ABS INOP synthom I've read about when installting an SS Spoiler on a ODB1 car ?
I've read that this can be solved by putting a 10 Ohm resistor in series. How exactly would I do that ? Do I just cut the wire and "extend" each end with the resistor ? In that case I would need 2 resistor each 10 Ohm . Would that work ? I'm really a novice at this...sorry
IMO, I don't think it is related, especially if you are not having any ABS or cruise problems. There is a diagram of how to add resistance to the circuit in the "how to" or "schematics" sections of my Tech Page.

You might try changing the brake switch to see if that has any effect, but I have seen other (non f-body) cars with the same thing-an LED third brake light that appears to come on a fraction of a second before the normal brake lamps. You could also pull the connectors off the switch and rig it up to manually and simultaneously power up all the lamps for testing (bypassing the switch), to see if it made any noticeable difference.
Old 02-01-2005, 07:50 AM

Thanks a lot for your help Rob ... outstanding information on your site