General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Storage?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2005, 08:52 AM

Storage?

Hey guys I will be storing my car for 4-5 months outside covered now I hear the tires will get a flat spot what is the best thing I can do to prevent this maybe a little more tire pressure or what and also should I add anything to the fuel..thanks peeps.
Old 11-22-2005, 09:00 AM

Re: Storage?

go to the store and get some Stabil fuel stabilizer, i think that's how it's spelled.

one thing you aren't supposed to do from what i'm told is put the car on jack stands under the frame. the car is designed to sit on it's loaded suspension, no need change that.

but to prevent flatspots and cracking to your wheels maybe put jackstands under the control arms. this will keep the wheels off the ground, yet keep the suspension loaded.

wouldn't hurt to liberally coat the tires with wheel protectant or armoral.
Old 11-22-2005, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by teke184
go to the store and get some Stabil fuel stabilizer, i think that's how it's spelled.

one thing you aren't supposed to do from what i'm told is put the car on jack stands under the frame. the car is designed to sit on it's loaded suspension, no need change that.

but to prevent flatspots and cracking to your wheels maybe put jackstands under the control arms. this will keep the wheels off the ground, yet keep the suspension loaded.

wouldn't hurt to liberally coat the tires with wheel protectant or armoral.
Junkyards will almost give away old donut spares. They could even be bald and flat, it wouldn't matter as long as the car can sit on them for the winter.

I've always parked my car on its regular rims over the winter and never had a problem. 5 months is not long enough to cause any harm. I would only worry about it if it was 9-12 months or longer.
Old 11-22-2005, 05:36 PM

I'd drive it once in a wile when you have a clear day, IMO I think it's better to run the engine then let it sit outdoors covered for 4 months.

I wouldnt worry about the tires as long as they are on pavement, if dirt or gravel park on wood.
Old 11-22-2005, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Chrisz24
I'd drive it once in a wile when you have a clear day, IMO I think it's better to run the engine then let it sit outdoors covered for 4 months.

I wouldnt worry about the tires as long as they are on pavement, if dirt or gravel park on wood.
I have to disagree.
Driving a car on salty winter roads is terrible for it. Even if the roads appear dry, they are still covered in salt powder until after the first good rain.
Also, it is not better to run the engine occasionally over the time period of a winter. 4 or 5 months is nothing to store a car. You dont even need fuel stabilizer for that short a time period. Tires will not flat spot in that time. Also, why would you put wood under the tires if the car is on dirt or gravel? Dirt or gravel will not harm the tires.

What will harm the car over a 4 or 5 month winter is:

1) exposure to salt
2) exposure to moisture
3) being started in cold temperatures while the oil is thick
4) condensation built up from short runs or idling
5) melting ice can scratch the paint as it slides off from melting.
6) constant exposure to sun will fade and deteriorate just about everything

to store a car you should:

keep it away from salt
keep it dry, put down a vapor barrier under it so moisture from the ground cannot get up into it
do not start it in the cold, or at all for that matter.
do not allow it to idle and build up condensation in the oil
keep the elements like sun, snow and ice off the paint by keeping it indoors or under a heavy duty outdoor cover.

If you are going to keep it outside under a cover, get a thick weatherproof cover and follow the manufacturers instructions for outdoor use. Make sure both car and cover is very clean. Make sure the cover is secured tightly so it does not buffet in the wind.

I really dont like the thought of storing a car outside under a cover. I'd much prefer getting a storage unit for a few months to stash it in. You could cancel your insurance and use the spare insurance money to get a storage locker.

Come springtime, all you need to do is drop a battery in it and change the oil.
Old 11-23-2005, 09:50 AM

There sure seem to be a lot of "winter storage" threads this year, eh?!