General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Solid Roller Daily Drivers

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2004, 08:23 AM

Solid Roller Daily Drivers

Do these type of cars exist? Is this even a practical setup for a daily driven car. I've got a 389 Stroker in progress and I'm going to start out with a good hydraulic cam and ported LT1 castings, but my next move will be to get some AFR's either 195 or 200's and at that point would consider going to a solid roller. Is there really any advantage though except for higher RPM motors. I'm running a stock computer and at this point have plans to stick with that. Would I be better off staying with a good hydraulic setup. Love to see some opinions especially from say Injuneer, KMOOK and the Bauers.
Old 11-02-2004, 10:18 AM
Administrator

Re: Solid Roller Daily Drivers

The solid roller advantages include higher rev capabilities (assuming you have the rest of the engine to support it and take advantage of the RPM) and more aggressive opening and closing, giving you more "area under the curve" compared to the same duration in a hydraulic roller. The disadvantages include the need for periodic valve lash checking, possible lubrication problems, and the need for a stronger, more reliable valve train to support the typically high spring pressures involved.

My setup is fairly mild, since it was selected on the basis of being able to pass NJ rolling emissions. And its a nitrous setup, hence the 230/242 114LSA 0.590/0.590. I drove the car as a daily driver, for the first year after the engine was built, with no problems. 3 years later, as a "race" car, its still running strong.

You may have problems with the knock sensor. I don't run one. But I also have a huge amount of dyno time, both engine dyno and chassis dyno, tuning for options ranging from 500HP NA to 800HP on the juice. I don't use the stock computer.

For a street car, I don't think the advantages offered by a solid roller are all that important. You really don't need to run 7,500RPM on the street, unless you do an awful lot of street racing. The sound is pretty cool, though

Last edited by Injuneer; 11-02-2004 at 10:20 AM.
Old 11-03-2004, 09:22 PM
Advanced Tech Moderator

Re: Solid Roller Daily Drivers

It really just depends on what you want out of your car, what you can put up with, and what you like.

There will be a little more cost with a solid vs hyd setup. There is more maintanence. There is a totally difrent sound to the car. etc

I had a 242/248 112lsa solid roller for a stock bottom end SS I had. It ran well with no tuning, no cam surge at all. The valvetrain sound is Very loud and difrent, and it was cool for the first hour. But after that it got VERY annoying to me and I wish i hadn't gone with it. It was so loud it was drowning out my LTs & Duals. But that is just me, i am sure a lot of people love the sound. But i won't be running a solid roller setup for a long time if i ever do again.