General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Plug wire question.

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2005, 11:16 PM

Plug wire question.

I can see the spark traveling through most of my Taylor wires(routed OVC) while i look under the hood in the dark, and was wondering if i should be seeing any at all. I'm trying to track down what is causing popping from the exhaust between each shift, and during deceleration while in gear.
Old 06-13-2005, 01:38 AM

Re: Plug wire question.

You should be seeing NO blue sparks at all. Where are you seeing the escaping sparks? It may be a bad wire or connection, or if the escaping sparks are in front of the opti-spark unit, I would suspect that as the culprit.

Johnny-Z-Man
Old 06-13-2005, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Johnny-Z-Man
You should be seeing NO blue sparks at all. Where are you seeing the escaping sparks? It may be a bad wire or connection, or if the escaping sparks are in front of the opti-spark unit, I would suspect that as the culprit.

Johnny-Z-Man
I can see it travel along most of the wires, and just where a few of them have bends. I guess it's safe to assume that these are junk? I thought Taylor were quality wires...

Well with that in mind, should i try another set of Taylors so i can keep my OVC set-up? Or would i be able to route some other set of wires in this same way?
Old 06-13-2005, 03:23 PM

Most of us run 8mm Taylor wires. I think their a step up from stock.

I would first pull each wire and closely inspect it including the end terminals.

Since you are running an OVC set-up, I would replace them with a new set of Universal Cut-to-Fit wires, however you just may need a end terminal repair kit.

I still would not rule out the opti-spark.

Johnny-Z-Man
Old 06-13-2005, 03:30 PM

To answer your question about using other wires...Yes, you can use any universal 8mm wire with 90 deg spark plug ends, just get the Taylor Opti-end terminal kit to crimp on to your new wires on the Opti side...

I have heard of the Taylors arcing although I've had mine on for a year with no issues. I'm thinking that they get broken when trying to install the opti boots because they are somewhat hard to slide on without LOTS of silicone spray...Just a thought...If you installed them then you know if you had a problem with the boots...

--Alan
Old 06-13-2005, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Johnny-Z-Man

I still would not rule out the opti-spark.
Well opti was replaced just before i ran into this problem, i sure hope i didn't get a crap opti...