General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Pipe with flanges to replace cat

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 10:50 AM

Pipe with flanges to replace cat

I have been searching the site and the internet for a while now trying to find a pipe that will bolt in where the cat is. I want to be able to replace my cat so I dont want to just weld in a pipe. Does anyone make a pipe with flanges on both ends that will bolt up to the factory flanges for the cat? Thanks.
Old 10-17-2006, 10:56 AM
Administrator

Re: Pipe with flanges to replace cat

Problem is the front end of the factory cat is welded to the Y-pipe. You would have to cut it off, and get a pair of flanges and make your own pipe.
Old 10-17-2006, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Problem is the front end of the factory cat is welded to the Y-pipe. You would have to cut it off, and get a pair of flanges and make your own pipe.
Yeah, you are right. For some reason I was thinking that it wasnt welded in. Ok, time for plan B. I am trying to do this for free or as cheap as possible. I have read that if you gut the cat, it will cause turbulance in the exhaust, hindering performance. Is this true, or is it really not significant enough to worry about? Would it be wise to gut the cat, and just stick a piece of exhaust pipe in there?

Im about tempted to just get it removed and a pipe welded in. Will cost me ~$55, which I am trying to avoid, and would be more obvious.
Old 10-17-2006, 01:10 PM

Gutting the cat isn't going to hinder your performance, it may even give you a few extra ponies. It will add some extra noise and raspiness to your exhaust tone though.
Old 10-17-2006, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by 2000GTP
Gutting the cat isn't going to hinder your performance, it may even give you a few extra ponies. It will add some extra noise and raspiness to your exhaust tone though.
Thats the reason for doing it actually. I had my cutout installed Friday, and I almost had them replace the cat with the cutout, but decided to just leave the cat for backpressure. Now I am riding around with an open cutout all the time, and its just not loud enough for me

Will be gutting the cat this week. I have vids of before the cutout, after the cutout, and will make one with a gutted cat. If it sounds like ***, I will just break down and get a pipe welded in.

Last edited by The Captain; 10-17-2006 at 01:30 PM.
Old 10-17-2006, 11:36 PM

I'm running an open cutout with headers and no cat and its unbearable. Not just loud, but a terrible sound, raspy and such
Old 10-17-2006, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by convertz
I'm running an open cutout with headers and no cat and its unbearable. Not just loud, but a terrible sound, raspy and such
I still have the stock manifolds.
Old 10-18-2006, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by The Captain
I still have the stock manifolds.
I think it will sound pretty good, I originally had a cutout on a stock manifold/ypipe car and it sounded really good.