General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

New Oil Pressure Gauge, how do I install?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 01:31 AM

New Oil Pressure Gauge, how do I install?

I got a Auto Meter gauge from Mopac and Im wondering what the best way to install this gauge would be. It came with an in dash style mounting system so I am going to make a metal angle plate to mount on my dash. I would buy a piller mount system but not sure if thats out of my price range.

Anyone know how to mount and run the gauge and hose line to the engine? I got the braided one for extra piece of mine and strength.

Last edited by Oxygen454; 05-25-2008 at 01:38 AM.
Old 05-25-2008, 09:22 AM
Administrator

There an oil pressure port in the LT1 block, right above the oil filter. Shoebox has a photo of it if you don't know where it is. That's where the stock pressure sensor connected in the 93 and early 94's. You'll need a fitting that screws into the 1/4" NPT threads in the block, and converts to your hose AN size. May need a 90-deg elbow as well. I ran a -3AN braided line to my gauge, which was easy to mount in the center A/C vent in the Firebirds, but that's not going to help you with your Camaro. How about a plate to cover the cubby below the radio?
Old 05-25-2008, 04:11 PM

hey Injuneer

I got the hookup figured out since I have been checking pressure on the back of the engine. I was thinking of removing the oil sending unit and putting it there. I know the gauge will spike but right now the gauge reads low and then shows check gauges. So I was thinking of just getting rid of the electric sensor and running my mechanical one to the inside.

How do you run the lines through the underside of the dash? I was thinking of drilling a hole into the fire wall but I dont want to hit anything like wires or what ever else is behind there. Anyone have a pic where they drilled the hole?

Do I also have to remove the dash to run the hose line? I hope not!

I have all the fittings, 90deg and all that.
Old 05-25-2008, 05:44 PM
Administrator

You can use either oil pressure port.... but they each have different threads. I ran the hose through the hole for the clutch master cylinder, because I converted to a TH400 tranny. But you can also run the hose through the big rubber grommet behind the PCM. The hose gets a bit long, but I have my nitrous pressure gauge hose routed through there (it was installed before the tranny was swapped). You can also drill a hole under the power brake booster, and it comes out right at the top of the carpet near the pedals. I have a photo of where I located mine somewhere. But I used that hole for wires, not for a stiff hose. I've got gauges and switches all over the place, and never had to remove the dash.
Old 05-25-2008, 06:19 PM

Sweet, well I was thinking of bringing it in from the drivers side and mount the gauge on the dash near the driver side piller. Im not too sure how Im going to get the hose up from the floor through to the top of the dash. I have a 5 foot stainless braided hose.
Old 05-25-2008, 06:38 PM

Took a look at the engine bay and in the car and it doesn't look that hard at all. Contemplating getting a A-pillar for the gauge. And thinking of putting a hole just above the wiring harness that goes through the fire wall on the drivers site. The other side (passenger side) is getting the fan switch mod.