General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Motor wont turn, any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 07:24 PM

Motor wont turn, any ideas?

Son is driving my 94 Z28 383 with vortech. Calls me up and tells me the car was making a weird noise and shuts it down. He goes to crank it so I can hear the noise and all he gets is click, click. Tow the car back home and removed an tested the starter but that was fine. I decide to try to push start but can't get enough momentum. I pull the car behind my van with ropes to about 10-15mph and shift to second and release the clutch slowly, tires are screeching and dragging but the motor will not rotate. I'm sure something would be broke and jamming somewhere. The noise was describe as the whining the supercharger makes but he said it was very loud.
Any ideas on what could have happened??
Old 01-07-2009, 11:38 PM

So the starter is just clicking but not actually trying to crank the engine? Sounds like a weak battery to me?
Old 01-08-2009, 07:27 AM

No idea. First thing is try to turn engine with a breaker bar from the crank hub bolt to make sure it turns. The way you describe it sounds like it's locked up and needs to be pulled and torn down.

Last edited by RUDEDOG; 01-08-2009 at 07:29 AM.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:38 AM

"Done blowed up!!"
Do the usual. Drain and check the oil for antifreeze and big chunks of shiny metal. Pull the plugs and check for antifreezes and see if any of the tips are smashed. If no signs of damage, try turning the engine over with the plugs out. Remove all belt driven accessories, etc. etc, until you have eliminated everything but the motor, then pull it and rebuild.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by RUDEDOG
No idea. First thing is try to turn engine with a breaker bar from the crank hub bolt to make sure it turns. The way you describe it sounds like it's locked up and needs to be pulled and torn down.
I'd go with this first... Good Luck
Old 01-08-2009, 03:35 PM

lol its broke'ed

as said above, try to turn it over with a prybar or big socket on the crank bolt. if the motor wont turn you know you have some major issues lol if u get it to turn, then its a process of narrowing down possibilities. in order i would:

change/check oil
same with coolant
check some plugs
compression check

those will usually tell u if you have major engine breakage. if all that stuff does check out, its likely that its a more minor issue. then you can start checking for spark and fuel pressure etc
Old 01-08-2009, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Z28SORR
"Done blowed up!!"
Do the usual. Drain and check the oil for antifreeze and big chunks of shiny metal. Pull the plugs and check for antifreezes and see if any of the tips are smashed. If no signs of damage, try turning the engine over with the plugs out. Remove all belt driven accessories, etc. etc, until you have eliminated everything but the motor, then pull it and rebuild.
I think it's bad. Did check the oil and no metal, didn't check plugs almost impossible because of the headers. Tried to turn motor with big wrench, it will not budge. It's going into the shop Saturday
Old 01-08-2009, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by sn8ke eatr
lol its broke'ed

as said above, try to turn it over with a prybar or big socket on the crank bolt. if the motor wont turn you know you have some major issues lol if u get it to turn, then its a process of narrowing down possibilities. in order i would:

change/check oil
same with coolant
check some plugs
compression check

those will usually tell u if you have major engine breakage. if all that stuff does check out, its likely that its a more minor issue. then you can start checking for spark and fuel pressure etc
Thank for the suggestions, the laughs were not appreciated, I'm hurting here.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:08 AM

Sorry man! Only laughing because we've been there before. Had a 74 Camaro that lost a main bolt and trashed the engine. Got a used 350 and rebuilt it, 20 miles later a rod bearing when bad. Some times you just can't win.