General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Ignition switch???

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2023, 06:13 PM

Ignition switch???

Hey everybody I went to go start my camaro it's a 94 lt1 m6 and has the common mods to it, the key lock cylinder felt like it broke and there's no resistance on my key to like start it it just turns like it's loose it won't start. I changed the key lock cylinder and it's doing the same exact same thing as my old key long cylinder. I'm not getting any lights on my dash either. My buzzer beeps on key lock cylinder, radio n headlights do come on, and battery is fully charged.

I did research and came across it can be a bad ignition switch. Any help or information I'd appreciate it guys. 😁👍🏼
Old 04-16-2023, 10:00 PM
Administrator

Re: Ignition switch???

When you replaced the key cylinder, did you connect and adjust the rod that runs down the column to the ignition switch? The free movement/ lack of resistance could suggest that is the problem.

Or could be the ignition switch is worn and heat damaged:

4th Gen F-body Ignition Switch Replacement
Old 04-17-2023, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
When you replaced the key cylinder, did you connect and adjust the rod that runs down the column to the ignition switch? The free movement/ lack of resistance could suggest that is the problem.

Or could be the ignition switch is worn and heat damaged:

4th Gen F-body Ignition Switch Replacement
thank you for the reply back Fred, when I inserted the new key lock cylinder, I didn't even know about having to adjust the rod to the ignition switch. But I'm guessing that ignition switch is bad, because my old key lock cylinder did the same thing, I just wanted to go out for a drive and as I went to go turn my key it felt like something broke in the ignition and then I had no lights on the dash. That's why I bought a new key lock cylinder, I never even knew there was an ignition switch until I researched it.

I already got the steering column down and I'm going to check the ignition switch after work.
Old 04-17-2023, 10:57 AM
Administrator

The rod might have come loose with the old key cylinder.
Old 06-17-2023, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
The rod might have come loose with the old key cylinder.
Hey Fred I apologize for the late update and to the others, my car starts up again and is running like a champ. That thin rod that connects to the ignition switch and the other end to the steering wheel column came loose. I reattached it and now we have resistance to the key lock cylinder.

I'm glad I changed the key lock cylinder because on my old one my security light would alwayes stay on and there were times when I went to go start it the light will just stay on the dash and it wouldn't start and I would have to wait until the light came off to start it.

With the new one no more security light on the dashboard.
Old 06-17-2023, 09:57 AM
Administrator

Thanks for the feedback. Always glad to hear that my suggestion helped.