General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

HVAC vacuum question

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 09:14 PM

HVAC vacuum question

Noticed that I'm losing vacuum to my A/C vent actuators (vents r redirecting to upper/lower instead of front) when engine lugs such as cruise control on during steep grade...I have T56...or when attempting to accelerate in high gear at low speeds.

Followed shbox instructions and:

1) replaced vacuum check valve (wasn't broken and didn't appear damaged but part was only $4)
2) actuator line holds vacuum
3) manifold line holds vacuum when manifold end plugged
4) vacuum tank line holds vacuum, however, this requires many pumps of my handheld vacuum pump...i'm assuming this is purging the tank?

Since several posts referred to degradation in the vacuum tank line; i replaced it with vacuum hose and a test drive revealed no difference. Actuators close when engine lugs.

BTW local dealer indicated that vacuum tank line p/n 12124134 is discountinued and that even Vintage was out of stock...told me to try salvage. Picked up 7ft. of vacuum hose from O'Reilly's for $.80/foot.

Is there a problem here or is this system operating normally? In other words, does lugging the engine create such a drop in manifold pressure that there is insufficient 'stored' vacuum in the vacuum tank to compensate? I'm asking since I'm thinking this is an 'extreme' condition because the system operates fine under all other conditions during which i'm assuming the system could be using the 'stored' vacuum from time to time.
Old 08-06-2009, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Not normal. It may be related to lugging the engine at very low engine speeds. What RPM are you running when this happens?

Are you running the stock cam, or an aftermarket cam?

Have you measured engine vacuum under various operating conditions?
RPMs r usually under 2k.

All stock.

Have not measured engine vacuum. Only verified vacuum present in manifold line.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:51 PM

Measured engine vacuum

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Not normal. It may be related to lugging the engine at very low engine speeds. What RPM are you running when this happens?

Are you running the stock cam, or an aftermarket cam?

Have you measured engine vacuum under various operating conditions?
Measure the vacuum at the manifold line.

20 @ idle with A/C off
18 @ idle with A/C on
Old 08-12-2009, 02:23 AM

please don't mind my curiosity, but i don't think we have a vacuum problem on our hands, we have a vacuum control problem. it would be normal for vacuum to almost disappear at wot and extreme lugging at low rpm's, but what ever check valve in the dash control is supposed to retain vacuum to the switch actuators isn't working, and is allowing the vacuum to escape back to the system. does this logic make sense?
Old 08-12-2009, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by cusz28
please don't mind my curiosity, but i don't think we have a vacuum problem on our hands, we have a vacuum control problem. it would be normal for vacuum to almost disappear at wot and extreme lugging at low rpm's, but what ever check valve in the dash control is supposed to retain vacuum to the switch actuators isn't working, and is allowing the vacuum to escape back to the system. does this logic make sense?
The purpose of the tank and check valve (he already replaced) is supposed to negate vacuum control problems during those periods of low engine vacuum. It is possible under some conditions to deplete the vacuum supply.
Old 08-12-2009, 06:02 PM

I know, but i'm asking if something in the dash control itself may be letting vacuum back.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by cusz28
I know, but i'm asking if something in the dash control itself may be letting vacuum back.
He also said the actuator line (which goes to the controls) held vacuum and I am assuming he had it in the mode he is having trouble with. If tested in every mode, then all the in-dash lines and actuators would be good.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:17 PM

If it only happens during the lugging I would guess that the vacuum is going away while it lugs and it depletes the vacuum enough to switch the vents to default. I would find out why the car is lugging down, fix that problem and I bet it will not have any problems with the vents anymore.
Old 08-13-2009, 06:26 PM

injun, he never said he tested the dash switch, and i never said that IS the problem. i'm not saying i'm right, i'm just asking if somebody knows if the dash switch itself COULD possibly be the problem. the check valve i'm thinking about might not even be present. I was wondering if the dash control itself had a check valve built in. lets not argue just for the sake of arguing, it was just a misunderstood question.