General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

How to fix sagging bumper?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 03:51 PM

How to fix sagging bumper?

How do I lift my rear bumper up? In the pics you can see how I guess time has taken its toll on my car. Under the taillight it sags pretty good. Does anyone have any quick fixes for this?

Old 05-10-2006, 04:06 PM

Re: How to fix sagging bumper?

That's just the nature of those urethane bumpers. Like you said, time definitely takes its toll. My '91 5.0 Mustang sagged terribly around the taillights. Beautiful car, by the way!
Old 05-10-2006, 06:07 PM

my 94 does it to buddy time does horrible things to our beautiful cars over time but they still shine
Old 05-10-2006, 08:58 PM

this has been posted before.. nobody knows a fix for some reason. something has to be bending..
Old 05-11-2006, 10:08 AM

To anyone but the owner this isn't even noticable. However if it's really bugging you, there is plenty of structure under the cover. I wouldn't think it would be to difficult to fabricate braces. I did this on my 84 to get the aftermarket fiberglass fenders to align with the doors. Pretty crude, just welded some bar stock to the body.
Old 05-11-2006, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Z28SORR
To anyone but the owner this isn't even noticable. However if it's really bugging you, there is plenty of structure under the cover. I wouldn't think it would be to difficult to fabricate braces. I did this on my 84 to get the aftermarket fiberglass fenders to align with the doors. Pretty crude, just welded some bar stock to the body.
haha its true all this little **** we notice with our cars
Old 05-11-2006, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by porksoda
How do I lift my rear bumper up..... time has taken its toll.... it sags pretty good. Does anyone have any quick fixes for this?

When you figure it out, lemmie know. Sounds like something I'd be interested in for the wife..... <runs and hides>
LOL

Allen
Old 05-12-2006, 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by RMC_SS_LDO
When you figure it out, lemmie know. Sounds like something I'd be interested in for the wife..... <runs and hides>
LOL

Allen
LOL!!!

I have noticed this as well...My old 99' had it.

I went so far as to take it to a body shop and have them see if they could fix it and to find out if there was any evidence of a previous collision...(I bought the car used)...

They said that there was NO sign of a previous collision and that the bumper itself is just sagging a bit...They said that basically its warped a little and that it happens to just about any cars that have urethane type bumpers...

Just like mentioned though,most people do not notice these things except for enthusiasts like ourselves...He said the most they could do was that they could order a whole new bumper from GM and paint/install it.

I don't think he mentioned that to sucker me into an expensive fix because,he kinda cautioned me against it saying that its not worth the money for such a small problem and that (of course) would bring down the value on my car (it was a 30th anniversary TA) if I were to replace a body part on the car.

In the end,I sold the car but...I understand how you feel because I was about a day or two away from going back to the body shop and telling them to order the new bumper before I sold it off!!!!

We notice alot more little things about our cars than most people do with their vehicles...

On every F-Body I have ever had...

The squeeky rear end suspension creak when you get in and out of the car.Or going over speed bumps.

Coolant level sensors.

Clunky rear ends.

Lousy spacing between the camaro headlight and the front bumper (LS1s).

Lousy fitment between the rear camaro bumper and the rear panel (the one people do the Berger mod to) its ALMOST always uneven.

Two words,window motors!

Firebird headlight motors...

Bulging front fender by the Z28,SS emblem from someone jacking the car up incorrectly!!(Boy I hate that one! )

Oh and the biggest problem of all....

ALL THAT DAMN HORSEPOWER!!!!!

(Oh wait,thats not a problem... )