General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Got Trounced by a 6 Cyl.

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2004, 12:10 AM

Re: Got Trounced by a 6 Cyl.

The Olds Aurora did come with a 4.0L V8 a couple of years ago. I am not sure of which year it was but I know it is recent. And I cant remember the hp rating.
Old 08-19-2004, 12:21 AM

Auroras came with a 4L V8..but break 15s when they are lucky. I ran 14.1 @ 97mph bone stock with an Auto. Something is wrong with your car.
Old 08-19-2004, 02:12 AM

Tomorrow I go to all of the places that I asked for an estimate to do a tune up for my car. I took them a list of all the things that I felt needed done a few days ago.

I just got my plugs and wires in (TR-55 in silver box, $2.25x8, and Taylor 8.5mm Spiro pros from Thunderracing.com) and my K&N filter should be here tomorrow too. I went and picked up a case of my oil and filter (Castrol Synth 5w30 and K&N HP2003 for a '77 Gremlin) just a few hours ago. My fuel filter will be replaced by the shop when they do everything else.

My friend had someone cut off his cat in town. I'm going to try to track that guy down tomorrow.

I'll keep you guys posted.
Old 08-19-2004, 12:02 PM

Change the fuel filter yourself, seriously. It's a 5-10 minute job.

Be prepared to pay through the nose to have someone change your plugs and wires. I paid around $200 (it took them 8 hours to change the plugs, wires, and waterpump) and I got a smokin deal. Major PITA of a job. Change your O2 sensors too if they've got more than 50K on them.

Don't feel bad man, my car had a pair of clogged cats and I got smoked by a frickin diesel F-350 a couple weeks ago. Talk about humiliation! Car was barely running at the time and I knew it at least.
Old 08-19-2004, 12:20 PM

Man, I hear you.

I started thinking today about doing it myself. I wish I had more free time. I might run by Auto Zone and pick me up a Chilton, then go get a case of MGD and head out to a friend's house.

Hell, I might just leave work to go do it. It's a great day outside.

Change the O2 sensors? Why? I work for the news paper and I gave this one place a lot of press recently. They told me they would change the plugs and wires for $60-$80 labor.
Old 08-19-2004, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by NorthernSS
The Olds Aurora did come with a 4.0L V8 a couple of years ago. I am not sure of which year it was but I know it is recent. And I cant remember the hp rating.
It was a 2-door.
Old 08-19-2004, 12:24 PM

How do you change your fuel filter? Or how do you know its bad?
Old 08-19-2004, 12:30 PM

I was going to ask that as well, but I'm going to pick up a Chilton at AZ. I don't even know where it is...
Old 08-19-2004, 12:34 PM

O2 sensors will make the car run really rich if they're dying, (bad mileage, fouls cats, poor performance)

The shop that quoted you $60-80 has never worked on a 4th gen F-body before, guaranteed. If they will give you that price in writing, TAKE IT!!! Probably be the last time they offer that price to anybody, lol.
Old 08-19-2004, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Gos2Slo
O2 sensors will make the car run really rich if they're dying, (bad mileage, fouls cats, poor performance)
Cool! I'll pick one up while I'm at AZ. I have pretty well convinced myself to take the day to do all of this.
Old 08-19-2004, 01:06 PM

Red face Re: Got Trounced by a 6 Cyl.

Change the fuel filter yourself, seriously. It's a 5-10 minute job.

Be prepared to pay through the nose to have someone change your plugs and wires. I paid around $200 (it took them 8 hours to change the plugs, wires, and waterpump) and I got a smokin deal. Major PITA of a job. Change your O2 sensors too if they've got more than 50K on them.

Don't feel bad man, my car had a pair of clogged cats and I got smoked by a frickin diesel F-350 a couple weeks ago. Talk about humiliation! Car was barely running at the time and I knew it at least.
You should never run if your **** stinks. I was in my 87 six banger (BUICK) when a 750/ or larger Honda tried me from a light, he saw my brake lights come on about 3 blocks down the road at a 100 mph plus. At the next light he pulled up on his near new bike and said, "MAN THAT THING RUNS GOOD" I said, "IT REALLY NEED'S A TUNE UP."
Old 08-19-2004, 01:33 PM

No kiddin huh, bad for the team. It's ok, next time the F-350 driver pulls up next to an Fbod (GOD let it be me!) He'll be in for a very rude awakening. I wasn't trying to race him in the first place, he just romped on it from a light and I just plain couldn't keep up.

/wouldn't have been so bad if my girlfriend wasn't riding shotgun next to me. Oof, that was hard to live down.
Old 08-19-2004, 02:01 PM

No kiddin huh, bad for the team. It's ok, next time the F-350 driver pulls up next to an Fbod (GOD let it be me!) He'll be in for a very rude awakening. I wasn't trying to race him in the first place, he just romped on it from a light and I just plain couldn't keep up.

/wouldn't have been so bad if my girlfriend wasn't riding shotgun next to me. Oof, that was hard to live down.
Oh, man, that sucks even worse than my story.

Just got back from AZ. I didn't get the two o2 sensors, didn't have the $$$ on me ($100). Got every thing else, air and fuel filter included.

Got to looking in my Haynes and see that I need to relieve the fuel pressure before replacing the filter. So, I looked at how to do that. It looks like I have to first remove the fuel filter cap drain out all of my gas. Is that right? That sucks! First of all, can I just remove the FF and let it drain out there or do I have to do it around the top of the engine like it shows in the pictures?
Old 08-19-2004, 02:04 PM

Ok, I just got on the Internet and found out how stupid that question was. Sorry. I'll shut up now.
Old 08-19-2004, 02:06 PM

Don't sweat it, just undo the gas cap and it will bleed off most of the pressure.

Quick Reply: Got Trounced by a 6 Cyl.