General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Got Trounced by a 6 Cyl.

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2004, 02:12 PM

Re: Got Trounced by a 6 Cyl.

So, don't worry about depressing the schrader valve on the fuel rail?

http://shbox.com/1/fuel_filter.html
Old 08-19-2004, 02:19 PM

Nah, don't bother. You'll get gas on you no matter what, just don't freak out if it seems like a lot.
Old 08-19-2004, 02:21 PM

1) relieve presssure in the fuel system at the shrader valve located on the fuel rail ontop the intake manifold. Use a rag and a small screwdriver. Soak up the gas with the rag.

2) remove the gas cap

3) jack up the car.

4) the filter is under the car just forward the drivers ide rear tire. Remove it quickly and replace it. Some gas will leak out. Have several rags handy and be prepared to smell like gas for the rest of the day.

5) No smoking!!
Old 08-19-2004, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Gos2Slo
Nah, don't bother. You'll get gas on you no matter what, just don't freak out if it seems like a lot.
Alright, Thanks.

It's just the gas in the lines, right?
Old 08-19-2004, 02:33 PM

Yeah, remove the gas cap first and it will be a lot less. You'll need to prime your fuel system a few times (key on, key off, key on, key off) to refill the filter and lines after you're done too.
Old 08-19-2004, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by sharpe
Alright, Thanks.

It's just the gas in the lines, right?
If you allow it to, the entire tank will siphon itself out onto your garage floor once the line is disconnected from the filter. If you work fast, only a little will and up leaking.

It's not a big deal, just work quickly in a well ventilated area and wash up well afterwards.
Old 08-19-2004, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by TABAHR
If you allow it to, the entire tank will siphon itself out onto your garage floor once the line is disconnected from the filter.
Really? From reading I got the impression that all it could drain was what was already in the lines, not in the tank.
Old 08-19-2004, 02:51 PM

I'm taking off from work now. Going to try and track that guy down and get my cat sliced off.

Later all. I'll keep you all up to date on my car. Thanks.
Old 08-19-2004, 03:26 PM

There is a new Regal running around my town running low 12's I heard. Don't be scared, do some mod's and youll be fine.
Old 08-20-2004, 10:07 AM

Sounds like your motor is under the weather. The LT1 is not a pooch by any means...it sounds like the cars hasn't been well maintained. My buddy is running a stock LT1 from a caprice (100k + miles, iron heads) in a 94 S-10 pulling 11's on the juice. But he takes great care of the motor.

On the other hand, remember there are some stupid people who buy alero's and accords and slap a 150 shot N2O kit and are pulling 300RWH sucking on a bottle. Especially at 45 mph. That would be a great point to flip a switch and give you a run for your money.

Just remember, when their motors are toast you'll still be running 13's at 100,000 miles. That why we buy these 300 hp v8's!!!
Old 08-20-2004, 10:47 AM

Thumbs up Re: Got Trounced by a 6 Cyl.

Originally Posted by smurfman
There is a new Regal running around my town running low 12's I heard. Don't be scared, do some mod's and youll be fine.
It's not me, I don't pick on f-bodys when I'm in my g-body however I think everyone will like this. On my way home down the four lane main drag I saw not one but four Mustangs getting ready to race from the red light in front of my 87 (black) G-body. I pulled behind what turned out to be the slowest of the 4 Mustangs in the slow lane, a pickup truck pulled next to me which I had to wate to clear before changing lanes, I than in short order pasted the other two of the three left, the third and last was pasted by the 1/8 mile per say. I than slowed, the slower I went the slower the four of them went way behind me until they could turn around. It was great to kick 4 Mustangs in various states of mods. all at one time, that was a very good day. PS: I also kicked a 69/70 Boss 429 (HEMI) Mustang (very rare) on the street from a light with my 82 TA when it had a small block in it (ran 11.80 with it at the track that very day). I slowed down to let the Boss catch up so I could spank him from a roll but he pulled into a gas station and out the back to get away, the shame of it all, getting beat buy an 82 F-body. Taking down the baddest of all Mustangs (on paper) in my book I will not soon forget. That was my best day.

Last edited by 10 seconds; 08-20-2004 at 11:16 AM.
Old 08-20-2004, 10:49 AM

I didn't get a hold of the guy to cut off my cat, but I talked to his wife and got his phone number. The fact that it will be raining all day may help me get him to take my car into his garage.

I put in the bottle of FI cleaner (STP, black bottle) yesterday. I didn't notice any difference.

Today, I will hopefully be changing my spark plugs and wires, and my fuel filter. After I do those two jobs and remove my cat, I hope my car will be running well. If not, I'll invest in O2 sensors next pay check. If those four jobs don't help my car, I'll be quite upset as I won't know what to do.

I'll keep you all posted.

Oh, big news: I saw that car again. Same road, same time, but I was going in the opposite direction. The guy waved to me real big. It was a Grand Am Coupe GT with the appearance package (ram-air hood). When it went by it sounded like it had a cat back. So, the car that beat me had about 175-hp.

Unless they put those 260-hp, 280 lb-ft torque supercharged
engines in them. Remember, this is a 2-door, not a 4-door. I went on Pontiac’s site and I couldn't find a 2-door model with a supercharger.
Old 08-20-2004, 11:23 AM

The supercharged two-door pontiac is a GTP, apparently can be made fairly quick (high twelves is the quickest I know of, but I'm sure some guys are faster.) They are still wrong-wheel drive though.
Old 08-20-2004, 11:37 AM

I don't remember seeing that silver badge on the fender, though.

SLP made those cars, right? What is SLP's site for their cars? Not slponline.com or slpeng.com, I mean the site where they have their line up of cars and trucks.
Old 08-20-2004, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Gos2Slo
The supercharged two-door pontiac is a GTP, apparently can be made fairly quick (high twelves is the quickest I know of, but I'm sure some guys are faster.) They are still wrong-wheel drive though.
I know a guy who had a stock red one with a K&N box filter set-uo. The best he could get out of it was 14.3 and now that I think about it, it may have been 14.5 but I will give him credit for 14.3. For some reason the same engine in the Buick's run better.

Quick Reply: Got Trounced by a 6 Cyl.