General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Got Trounced by a 6 Cyl.

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2004, 09:23 PM

Got Trounced by a 6 Cyl.

This is not a race story post.

Today on the way home I got trounced by what I think was an Olds Alero. Hell, I didn't even bother to look because it was just a stupid economy car. Nice, but it shouldn't have been able to take a 350/6-speed in a rolling drag race.

We turn the bin. He hammers on it and so do I. I don't start even catching up until we are at 100 MPH, which is way, way more than a 1/4, more like a 1/2 or farther. But, then my governor shuts me down. It's right as I'm looking like I'm going to pass so it really made me look bad. Seriously, I felt like taking a gas can and torching my piece of **** car. Now that I know anything with 170 horsepower or more will take it in a race I wouldn't really miss it. Paying $100 a month for nothing wouldn't make it worth it.

My car has no ***** under 2500 RPM. If I were to be sitting a stop sign and mash it, the car would die. No matter how hard I try, it won't spin its tires until about 2000, then it just chirps. Being an LT1, it never really had too much grunt after 4000, but it sure as hell should have taken a damn 6 cylinder. It may have even been a 4 cylinder for all I know. If the car had a carburetor, I would say it had a dead spot, a big dead spot that lasts from 900 to 2500 RPM. When I first got the car a year ago, it was hard to keep from spinning the tiers.

I can't remember when my car started acting doggy, but it has been a while. I ordered some spark plugs yesterday, but I can't see this miraculously curing my problem. The car "wakes up" at around 2500 like I say, so I doubt it to be the plugs.

This is just a general tech question. It isn't LT1 or even Chevy specific. Anyone know a good answer to help me out?

While I'm at it, I guess I'm going to complain a little more since my car won't feel me kicking the hell out of it. Why do we even buy these huge 8 cylinder cars? They do the same thing for the same money with 6 and even four cylinders. An LT1 off the assembly line has what, 300 horsepower? Big deal.
Old 08-17-2004, 09:36 PM

Re: Got Trounced by a 6 Cyl.

Oh, and I'm going to have the local shop change my fuel filter at the same time. Is that a gripe on these cars (I know changing the plugs is)?

This is my first FI car. Should I ask them to clean the injectors somehow? How do you clean them? Do you just pull them out and take a toothbrush to them? Would it maybe help?

Anything else and I would appreciate it.
Old 08-17-2004, 10:00 PM

fuel filter real easy to do and if its clogged will seriously feel like a 60 horse loss... i changed mine after car sat for months and it was insane... i went from not being able to chirp gears to breaking tires loose at 40mph -( car is modded more then sig...hehe)

but ya makes a huge diff
Old 08-17-2004, 10:14 PM

I nice tune should help you out and remove that damn speed limiter. but something sounds wrong with your car, definately check the fuel filter and check your fuel pressure, maybe even check if you have a clogged cat. As far as cleaning the injectors just ad fuel injector cleaners to the gastank and that should help out alot.
Old 08-17-2004, 10:18 PM

Coulda been a buick regal. The newer ones look like an olds alero but can be had with a supercharged 3.8. Not shabby cars.
Old 08-17-2004, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by Spinner
Coulda been a buick regal. The newer ones look like an olds alero but can be had with a supercharged 3.8. Not shabby cars.
They came with 240 hp i believe, not horrible but should have easily been beaten by a lt1 (if thats what it was). Something is obviously wrong and I wouldnt be surprised at all if it was a clogged fuel filter. There was a thread about this a couple months back where quite a few people were saying what a huge difference it makes. I just changed mine and it made a pretty big difference; and I'm in a 2001 and ALWAYS use premium fuel.

Keep us updated on what happens.
Old 08-17-2004, 10:41 PM

The fuel filter is a good place to start, and maybe a fresh set of sparkplugs and wires. Put a bottle of injector cleaner in the tank too.

Does it idle rough? Have a miss?
Is the check engine light on?
Does it bog at all directly off idle?

Your car is 10 years old just like mine. It is not a new car. If you expect it to continue to perform you are going to need to stay on top of maintenance. My 94 is not a daily driver. I spend alot of time making sure everything is proper under the hood. I've rebuilt the throttle body with new gaskets, replaced the intake manifold gaskets, replaced the exhaust gaskets, fuel filter, spark plugs, a few vacuum hoses, PVC valve, K&N filter... It runs great, but there is usually a small project waiting for me somewhere on the car.

Also try the throttle body heat bypass mod and the IAT resistor mod to sharpen up throttle response at full operating temperature.

FYI, the 1994 LT1 was 275 HP stock. It is it's torque figure of 325 and the limited slip rear wheel drive that makes it so much fun to drive.
Old 08-17-2004, 11:04 PM

i notice u have a 6 spd....can u shift?

just checking...

cory
Old 08-18-2004, 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by kinyu
They came with 240 hp i believe, not horrible but should have easily been beaten by a lt1 (if thats what it was). Something is obviously wrong and I wouldnt be surprised at all if it was a clogged fuel filter. There was a thread about this a couple months back where quite a few people were saying what a huge difference it makes. I just changed mine and it made a pretty big difference; and I'm in a 2001 and ALWAYS use premium fuel.

That what you think.
Old 08-18-2004, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by kingman109
fuel filter real easy to do and if its clogged will seriously feel like a 60 horse loss... i changed mine after car sat for months and it was insane... i went from not being able to chirp gears to breaking tires loose at 40mph -( car is modded more then sig...hehe)

but ya makes a huge diff
I'll make sure to get it changed. Thanks for the info. I hope it helps me as much as it helped you. I could spin my tires at 40 a few months ago. It got squirly with me right after a first to second shift only three months ago.

Originally Posted by dabez1
I nice tune should help you out and remove that damn speed limiter. but something sounds wrong with your car, definately check the fuel filter and check your fuel pressure, maybe even check if you have a clogged cat. As far as cleaning the injectors just ad fuel injector cleaners to the gastank and that should help out alot.
Damn, I would love to get rid of that thing! It makes me so mad! I'll dump some cleaner in it and see if it helps. To tell you the truth, I thought that stuff was gimmicky, but if it works, I'll use it.

As for the clogged cat, my car backfires a lot, would that also be a symptom?

Originally Posted by Spinner
Hmm, maybe. I thought I rememberded seeing the new Olds symbol in back, and it wasn't an Infiniti.

Originally Posted by kinyu
Dude, I will. I was so pissed for so long, but now I'm getting over it. I felt like I had been kicked in the stomach. I still feel crappy.

Originally Posted by TABAHR
Does it idle rough? Have a miss?
Is the check engine light on?
Does it bog at all directly off idle?

Your car is 10 years old just like mine. It is not a new car. If you expect it to continue to perform you are going to need to stay on top of maintenance. My 94 is not a daily driver. I spend alot of time making sure everything is proper under the hood. I've rebuilt the throttle body with new gaskets, replaced the intake manifold gaskets, replaced the exhaust gaskets, fuel filter, spark plugs, a few vacuum hoses, PVC valve, K&N filter... It runs great, but there is usually a small project waiting for me somewhere on the car.

Also try the throttle body heat bypass mod and the IAT resistor mod to sharpen up throttle response at full operating temperature.

FYI, the 1994 LT1 was 275 HP stock. It is it's torque figure of 325 and the limited slip rear wheel drive that makes it so much fun to drive.
A. #1: No and not that I can tell.
A. #2: No.
A. #2: Yes, Big time! Sounds like it even dies, though it doesn’t. She is scheduled for a complete tune up, oil, spark plugs, wires, air filter, and fuel filter. I am putting my whole entire paycheck -- all of it -- into the car by the end of this week.

Originally Posted by CamaroZBoy
i notice u have a 6 spd....can u shift?

just checking...
Yes, though I need some practice on my launch. That isn't an issue here since we were both rolling at like 45 when we raced.
Old 08-18-2004, 12:43 AM

I looked up pictures of the new Reagal on Buick's website, but they only showed pictures of a 4-door version. So, unless they come in 2-door version, it wasn't a Regal.
Old 08-18-2004, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by sharpe
Damn, I would love to get rid of that thing!
Why don't you get rid of it? Get a pipe welded in its place! The only counties in IL that have emissions are by the biggest cities.
Old 08-18-2004, 12:41 PM

I was talking about the governor, but yeah, I would like to get rid of that damn cat too.
Old 08-18-2004, 05:18 PM

If your car wasnt ordered with the performance package back in 97 or when ever it will have a limiter. Doesnt matter what you do or dont have now. No Z rated tires on delivery its a dog that wont hunt. I dont know of any dealer that will remove the rev limiter but a Hyper tech or preditor will. Good luck
Old 08-18-2004, 08:40 PM

I have a Grand Prix with the 3.8 and the car is damn quick. Have to watch the smaller engines now.

Quick Reply: Got Trounced by a 6 Cyl.