General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Going out to buy a battery, what Crankamps should it be?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2005, 09:34 PM

Going out to buy a battery, what Crankamps should it be?

I don't have much in my car. My stereo is 200watts and I have a 300w amp with 1 10" woofer in the back and the 4 Kicker speakers. I don't know if that makes any difference. I never leave the car off and the music on either. So I want to know just how many crankamps is safe/recommmended? It does not get very cold down here in TX often but last night there was ice on the cars. So the cold cranks is important I guess as well. Thanks for any info!!
Old 01-17-2005, 09:43 PM

Re: Going out to buy a battery, what Crankamps should it be?

Originally Posted by Megalis
I don't have much in my car. My stereo is 200watts and I have a 300w amp with 1 10" woofer in the back and the 4 Kicker speakers. I don't know if that makes any difference. I never leave the car off and the music on either. So I want to know just how many crankamps is safe/recommmended? It does not get very cold down here in TX often but last night there was ice on the cars. So the cold cranks is important I guess as well. Thanks for any info!!
I just went to wal mart and got there xtreme (one with the yellow bottom), costed around $66. It was the upgrade from their regular battery. Has 2 year free replacement warrenty also. I am running a stock stereo set up.
Try to stay away from the optima, unless you are running an upgraded alternator that can handle the extra charging that battery wants.
You might want to maybe get one with extra cranking amps as you are running amplifier. Are you running a cap on the amp?
Old 01-17-2005, 09:46 PM

Re: Going out to buy a battery, what Crankamps should it be?

Originally Posted by shouldaboughtthez
I just went to wal mart and got there xtreme (one with the yellow bottom), costed around $66. It was the upgrade from their regular battery. Has 2 year free replacement warrenty also. I am running a stock stereo set up.
Try to stay away from the optima, unless you are running an upgraded alternator that can handle the extra charging that battery wants.
You might want to maybe get one with extra cranking amps as you are running amplifier. Are you running a cap on the amp?
No I am not. I think the battery I have now I bought a while back and it was about 700 or so crankamps. I have a 94Z by the way. I am heading to walmart right now. I may get that one.