General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Convertible weight questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 08:52 AM
H2O

Convertible weight questions

I wanted to start another thread on this subject vs. hijacking another.

I understand that the convertible weighs 90# more than a non convertible.

My question is why? I would assume that the hatchback glass is pretty heavy and also the t-tops are pretty heavy also. A convertible top is not all that heavy and I cannot imagine that the frame for it is any heavier than the b pillars and cross frame for t-tops ect.

I also assume there is some more framing under the car. Again I dont see that being that signifiacntly heavier. The only thing I have seen so far that is different under the car is sub frame connectors. I notice that there are two types one regular one for verts. My guess is there might be some more bracing under the middle of the car, but I really am not sure.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:34 AM

90# isn't that much. I know the area around the rear wheel wells are different/reinforced. And have read that there is a lot of reinforcement through out the center section of the car.
Old 06-22-2009, 05:11 PM
Administrator

The 90# is copied from GM shipping weight data.

As I recall, instead of the simple, straight sheet metal tunnel brace, bolting on each side of the tunnel, that the coupes use, the convertible has a more extensive "X" shaped brace, that bolts to 4 locations. We also found the reinforcing behind the rear inner fender liners when we tried to hammer the wheel wells for 28.0" and then 30.5" slicks. Add the convertible hydraulic pump, lines and mechanism, full firewall between the back seat and the trunk, and the 90# makes sense.

The 90# difference also refers to the comparison between a non-T-top coupe and a convertible. Per the GM weights, the T-tops add 12# to the coupe, reducing the convertible to 78# heavier than a T-top Z28.

With regard to the statement in the other thread that Firefox lists the f-body.org site as an attack site, this is an explanation from the website:
January 21, 2009
What a Load of Crap

Like many sites, we got hit with a SQL Injection Attack some time ago. I cleaned things up immediately. But whoever it is that keeps track of that stuff, I think it's Google, hasn't done their job of updating sites that are clean. We've been clean since 2-3 days after the hit, yet Firefox STILL reports us as a suspected attack site. What a load of crap, so it's not like anybody will see this.
I had no trouble reaching the site from a system that includes significant safeguards.

Last edited by Injuneer; 06-22-2009 at 05:14 PM.
Old 06-22-2009, 07:46 PM
H2O

Thanks for the info injuneer.

I removed the x brace when I put headers on. I do feel like the car flexs more since then. Perhaps I can try to re fit it!!!