General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Common 4th Gen Problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2006, 11:54 AM
Administrator

Re: Common 4th Gen Problems

Originally Posted by ZRedLT1
95's had an option for dual cats, I believe dual cat cars come with OBD2?...
The only 95's that had dual cats were A4 "CA emissions" cars..... A4's sold in California. And they were not OBD-II. They were still OBD-I. 95 M6 cars sold in CA were "50-state emissions" models, and had the single cat setup, like the cars from the 49 other states.
Old 03-05-2006, 02:27 PM

Thanks. I would like to get a t top car deffinitly thats also manual. The 95 is a much better pick over the 93-94? The OBD-II makes it easier to tune? The t-56 is stronger? is ther interior that much different in 97? Thanks for all of this so far..........
Old 03-05-2006, 04:34 PM
Administrator

95 is not OBD-II, its OBD-I. OBD-II has more diagnostics, and sets more codes when you start to alter things, making it harder to work with.
Old 03-05-2006, 06:11 PM

Smile Re: Common 4th Gen Problems

o sorry... lol and its right above what i just typed lol.. So OBD1 is good. So 95 is one of the best years to get? For the price and the performance? All i would do in the beginning is some exhaust and intake stuff. When i get more money i would get a cam or some other things. So anything people know about the 95 that sucks? Some problems anything? All i know is that i want a 95 and i can only hope to be able to get a loan for one this summer, thats when i will get one. I am just starting to save now. thanks... if you have more, keep it coming.
Old 03-06-2006, 08:21 PM

If you want an honest opinion, get the newest, lowest mileage vehicle you can afford. And look for a 6-speed. Bone stock is also a plus.

The difference between a car that has 50,000 miles and a car that has 150,000 is enormous most of the time. You would be much happier saving your money and finding a sweet 97 Z28 with 50k miles like I did.
Old 03-06-2006, 09:09 PM

ha reading thru this post could confuse some definately. let me help a little.
the t-56 or m6 standing for just a manual 6 speed car is plenty strong enough even for a supercharged or nitrous'd camaro. the optispark is basically the distributor. unlike most cars, this one is mounted behind the bottom engine pulley on the crankshaft. 94's actually had a better optispark then the 93's and 95's were better yet. 96's added a crankshaft position sensor which helps with emissions and a tiny horsepower addition along with very minor fuel mileage gains. the problem with the optisparks is moisture. basically the 95 just added a vent line running to the intake and it helps draw moisture out by the vacuum the motor creates pulling in air. 95's and up all have this vented line.

96 cars are in my opinion the best year. in 97 the interior dash changed. i dont like it as much. in 98 the ls1 was added instead of the lt1.

96 cars also have a BCM and obd-ii which the 95's didnt. obd-ii can be harder to mod, but its also better at diagnosing some engine problems.
the biggest difference is the addition of the BCM or body control unit.

basically it added things like factory alarm...way nicer keyless entry keyfobs, interior dome light that slowly dims down when you shut the door, and retained accessory power so when u turn the key off a passenger can listen to the radio for 15 minutes still with the key out or until the driver side door gets opened again.

the BCM is nice. my main reason for wanting a 96 is that. also the best rear axle ratio in my opinion is the 3.73's. you get more accell then the 3.42's most z28s had and not as bad gas mileage or high rpms as the 4.11's.

you had to order the performance axle option to get this ratio. it also dropped the speed governor.

http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech1.html

bookmark that site. it will be of great reference. the best camaro technical site i ever found. its simply amazing.

there really arent any huge problems with the z28s. one thing you will notice on most is an oil leak dripping down the backside of the motor. it leaks from where the intake plenum is bolted to the engine in the valley they call it. they use simple RTV sealant. the hi heat that runs back there from the air pump/EGR setup creates the issue. either deal with it or tear it all down and fix it.

you'll find sites on how to do it just searching and i think that shbox site even has a step by step on it.

if you do have a bad optispark most auto parts stores can get them for like 200 or so range last i looked. maybe a little more.

start with a cold air intake. a good one like SLP. http://www.slponline.com/car.asp?C=1993-1997%20F-Body

its under induction.

an LT4 knock module is a good mod its like 30 bucks. you can do a search and find the part number and buy it right off http://gmpartsdirect.com/

also a decent exhaust will help. start with that stuff. then worry about cams. do the easy things first. you can do things like egr and air pump removal as well. theres a bunch of free mods. bore out the throttle body, coolant bypass on the throttle body and tons more.

http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/ click his fbody install and fix it guides link.

camaros are a blast. get a manual tranny and t-tops. you'll love it.
Old 03-06-2006, 09:19 PM

WOW, thanks a lot!!! that really helps alot. I would like to start with the easy stuff anyways like the Air intake and Exhaust, Manual and t-tops is what i want. I still have awhile til i can even get one though... i am sure i want to get one though. so 96 is the best year for me... in less i hit the lotto lol. 98's get an ls1, someone at work told me the engine can't be machined very much because of the cylinder sleeves aren't that big or something... well thanks a lot everyone... the more the better i think 96 will be a good year then.
Old 03-06-2006, 11:27 PM

well when you get into that (machining) its big money anyways. i mean seriously will you really need it? they have great power stock, and with a supercharger you're pushing more horse then 95% of the cars on the road. i mean there comes a point when the money just isnt worth the gains when you already have so much.

you're on a limited budget it seems so no need to get crazy.
besides seems like your a younger guy correct?
several years down the road sooner then you think u'll start wanting things like a house. things like that become priorities and the cars fade some.
good money and good jobs are harder and harder to come by, so just dont go too crazy on the car... keep your future in your head too. play it smart.

im 25 and a few years ago i'll i wanted was a hot car. its amazing how fast things can change. just trying to offer a little advice.

Last edited by gerard143; 03-06-2006 at 11:31 PM.
Old 03-06-2006, 11:57 PM

i bought a 96 auto trans-am lt1 of course about 2 1/2 years ago. when we first bought it, it sounded normal and everything and it had about 16000 miles on it. I was just like you, i wanted a trans-am and the cheapest way i got one was a high mileage one too. so like a month ago my engine messed up bad i guess i didnt have any oil pressure. it costs me almost 4 g's to rebuilt it and i through in a bigger camshaft. the shop that rebuilt it said the car wouldnt get the oil changed when supposed to and all that. I took a 99+ mach 1 stang while rebuilt. anywayz try to stay away from high mileage cars unless ur absolutely sure they took care of it and all that. because even tho they sound good at first they could turn out to be very crappy.
Old 03-07-2006, 02:47 AM

Good post gerard143, however I should point out that this may be worded strangely. You could NOT get a 3.73 or 4.10 posi rear standard in a 4th gen. M6s came stock with 3.42s 1994+ (93 had 3.23s for M6s) and autos are standard with 2.73s, the optional performance package gave them 3.23s.
Old 03-07-2006, 06:47 AM
Administrator

Some further clarifications.....
Originally Posted by gerard143
... 94's actually had a better optispark then the 93's and 95's were better yet.
Why is the 93 Opti any different than the 94?
96's added a crankshaft position sensor which helps with emissions and a tiny horsepower addition along with very minor fuel mileage gains.
The CKP sensor was added for misfire detection. It serves no other purpose.
basically it added things like factory alarm...way nicer keyless entry keyfobs, interior dome light that slowly dims down when you shut the door, and retained accessory power so when u turn the key off a passenger can listen to the radio for 15 minutes still with the key out or until the driver side door gets opened again.
RAP was used before 1996. My 94 has it.
also the best rear axle ratio in my opinion is the 3.73's. you get more accell then the 3.42's most z28s had and not as bad gas mileage or high rpms as the 4.11's.

you had to order the performance axle option to get this ratio. it also dropped the speed governor.
The 3.73 did not come with the "performance axle package". The performance axle package was for A4 cars, and changed the rear axle ratio from 2.73 to 3.23. There was never a factory option on the 4th Gens for 3.73 gears.

there really arent any huge problems with the z28s. one thing you will notice on most is an oil leak dripping down the backside of the motor. it leaks from where the intake plenum is bolted to the engine in the valley they call it. they use simple RTV sealant. the hi heat that runs back there from the air pump/EGR setup creates the issue. either deal with it or tear it all down and fix it.
The AIR pump does not cause high temperatures at the rear corner of the intake manifold.... the AIR pump connects to the exhaust manifolds closer to the front of the engine. Only on the 93 did the factory combine the AIR and EGR piping. After that, they are two independant systems, and AIR does not contribute to the intake manifold leak.
Old 03-07-2006, 08:31 AM

This oil leak isn't a big problem? Does alot of these car's have it out there? So when i go to get one i can look for it and show it to the guy and make the price cheaper? Thats if he doesn't know as much about it though. Well is 96 the best year for me you think? I like there interiors i went to cardomain last night checking them out. my sister has a 98(v6) and her interior isn't as nice i think as the 96. whats the mileage out there i should look out for what should be my limit's, Thanks alot so far..... the more the better.
Old 03-07-2006, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by urbaNHunter44
M6s came stock with 3.42s 1994+ (93 had 3.23s for M6s) and autos are standard with 2.73s, the optional performance package gave them 3.23s.
93 M6's also were available with 2.73's... That signifies it has a "M28" tranny.
Old 03-07-2006, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by pitbull14218
This oil leak isn't a big problem? Does alot of these car's have it out there? So when i go to get one i can look for it and show it to the guy and make the price cheaper?
Sure, alot of them have oil leaks. Sure, show it to him, try to get the price knocked down as low as you can. If it's a rear intake oil leak all you need is a new intake gasket and you could probably do it yourself.

My car has 134k on it, I replaced a Fuel Pump when I first got it 3mos ago.
Old 03-07-2006, 08:50 AM

Wink Re: Common 4th Gen Problems

What else should i look for to get the price down.... and how much are replacing the clutch/and whatever needs to be done with replacing a clutch. I never had a stick vehicle and I want one badly I know how to drive them. Well whats the total price of this replacement. What else could i find on these cars to knock down the price. Thanks alot again

Quick Reply: Common 4th Gen Problems