General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Common 4th Gen Problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 08:55 AM

Re: Common 4th Gen Problems

http://www.charm.net/~mchaney/optisprk/optisprk.htm

http://para.noid.org/~muttvette/opti.html

about the opti i could be wrong, i thought i recall that when tearing it down the 94 had a different part number on one of the parts.

also the addition of misfire detection allows the motor to adjust for this better thereby running better and increase mileage and horse, but the measure is so tiny you can hardly measure it,maybe an extra .5 mpg and .25 horsepower.

about the axle i could have sworn when my father ordered his 1996 camaro, he had a high performance axle option offering 3.73's. it was the only way to order it to get totally rid of any speed governor.

i had a ton of info that took me forever to find about 4th gens all saved and i got rid of it god knows why. that too had info about 3.73's i came across.

Well, WE found the problem. The EGR pipe...yep, that's right...there are two types, the solid and the flex. The flex is the more common...of course, I have the solid. The pipe does a 180 degree bend right down the back left side of the intake manifold heading for its final hook up. On long trips, the temp inside that pipe can reach upwards to 700 degrees Farenheit! Now folks, that's darn hot! The intake is torqued down with 35 ft. pounds a bolt...that's not much. The sealant is weak, we knew that. The liquid sealant is used in the front and rear instead of cork because of the "wavy-dippy" surface on the manifold. Bottom line: pipe gets hot, left rear corner of mainfold lifts ever so slightly, pressure under manifold is looking for a way out...finds its weakest link and carves a passageway...drip drip drip, right down the left rear of the block. The hotter the motor, the bigger the drip...the longer you wait for repair, the bigger the drip

http://shbox.com/ci/AIR.jpg see number 22 for high heat location area.

http://shbox.com/ci/intake_bolts.jpg leaks at point A

you are correct about retained access. power sorry.
Old 03-07-2006, 09:00 AM

http://www.z28.com/forum/showthread....highlight=3.73

just found that. he has a factory 3.73 setup
Old 03-07-2006, 09:14 AM

Talking Re: Common 4th Gen Problems

OK now i know some more things, anyone think that there is a better year for me to get other then a 96-97 camaro? 95 is ok? The most important thing is the car won't break down on me while i have to pay crazy insurance and car payments. so..... what seems to be the best year for me is what i need to know, i think 96-97 seems like it. Whats the mileage i should limit up to. On the year you guys suggest what do i need to look out for? The oil leak, what else? Thanks a bunch so far i love this forum
Old 03-07-2006, 09:34 AM

only year i would avoid are 93's maybe 94's cuz of the opti. 93's for many reasons.

there is no set mileage to avoid. other then over like 170k haha, but seriously it all depends on how it was taken care of.

again 97's have the newer interior. it all depends if you like it or not.
Old 03-07-2006, 10:09 AM

Smile Re: Common 4th Gen Problems

Well I was just reading and I heard about a skip shift problem... do all m6 cars have them? I seem to want the 96 the most... and I looked at edmunds abd other sites like Kelly's Blue Book. It seems there price on these cars are cheap for z28 and SS. Around $6,500. You think i would actually be able to get one for that price and have decent miles on it?
Old 03-07-2006, 10:12 AM

you could pick up a ok mileage 95 z28 m6 with t-tops and leather for around 6,500 i'd say if you look around. watch ebay
Old 03-07-2006, 10:14 AM

idk about a skip shift problem, i've heard people want to disable it but thats no big deal.
Old 03-07-2006, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by pitbull14218
What else should i look for to get the price down.... and how much are replacing the clutch/and whatever needs to be done with replacing a clutch. I never had a stick vehicle and I want one badly I know how to drive them. Well whats the total price of this replacement. What else could i find on these cars to knock down the price. Thanks alot again
Well the parts you would need are a clutch, throwout bearing, and flywheel. Expect $200-500 in labor, maybe more.
Old 03-07-2006, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by pitbull14218
Well I was just reading and I heard about a skip shift problem... do all m6 cars have them?
All except the 93, it's called CAGS. It's easily disabled, search.
Old 03-07-2006, 04:02 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by gerard143
http://www.charm.net/~mchaney/optisprk/optisprk.htm

http://para.noid.org/~muttvette/opti.html

about the opti i could be wrong, i thought i recall that when tearing it down the 94 had a different part number on one of the parts.
The 93-94 Optis are identical. Your references point out the differences bewteen the 93-94 units and the 95-97 units.
also the addition of misfire detection allows the motor to adjust for this better thereby running better and increase mileage and horse, but the measure is so tiny you can hardly measure it,maybe an extra .5 mpg and .25 horsepower.
I think you're making this stuff up. The misfire detection is there because OBD-II requires it. Any adaptive strategy would be to protect the catalytic converters from meltdown... hence the flashing SES light to get your attention. Hard to see how responding to misfires would increase gas mileage and add ".25 horsepower". You have a reference for that one?
about the axle i could have sworn when my father ordered his 1996 camaro, he had a high performance axle option offering 3.73's. it was the only way to order it to get totally rid of any speed governor.

i had a ton of info that took me forever to find about 4th gens all saved and i got rid of it god knows why. that too had info about 3.73's i came across.
Plain an simple..... 3.73's were NEVER available from the factory on a 4th Gen. The speed governor was tied to the tires put on the vehicle. If you kept the "base" non Z-rated tires that came on the V8 models, you got a PCM speed limiter in the range of 108-117mph (varies by year). If you bought the RPO "QLC" Z-rated tire option, the entry in the speed limter field in the PCM was increased to "255", the largest possible number in an 8-bit binary field.

The A4's came "base" with 2.73 gears. The "performance axle ratio" package included the 3.23 gears, and a few other things. The 3.42 rear axle ratio has been put in EVERY 4th Gen M6 built since the 1994 model year. 3.73's were never used.

Well, WE found the problem. The EGR pipe...yep, that's right...there are two types, the solid and the flex. The flex is the more common...of course, I have the solid. The pipe does a 180 degree bend right down the back left side of the intake manifold heading for its final hook up. On long trips, the temp inside that pipe can reach upwards to 700 degrees Farenheit! Now folks, that's darn hot! The intake is torqued down with 35 ft. pounds a bolt...that's not much. The sealant is weak, we knew that. The liquid sealant is used in the front and rear instead of cork because of the "wavy-dippy" surface on the manifold. Bottom line: pipe gets hot, left rear corner of mainfold lifts ever so slightly, pressure under manifold is looking for a way out...finds its weakest link and carves a passageway...drip drip drip, right down the left rear of the block. The hotter the motor, the bigger the drip...the longer you wait for repair, the bigger the drip

http://shbox.com/ci/AIR.jpg see number 22 for high heat location area.

http://shbox.com/ci/intake_bolts.jpg leaks at point A

you are correct about retained access. power sorry.
You seem to be dancing around every error I pointed out in your post.

We all know what the EGR riser tube is, and in the 94 and later models, the EGR riser tube has NOTHING to do with the AIR system. EGR may contribute to the intake manifold leak, but has nothing to do wth AIR. It may happen to be shown on Shoebox's diagram, but it is not part of the AIR system, and that was the point which you seem to have missed.
Old 03-07-2006, 04:05 PM
Administrator

http://www.z28.com/forum/showthread....highlight=3.73

just found that. he has a factory 3.73 setup
He is pointing out he had 3.73 gears in a factory 10-bolt rear axle assembly. HE added the 3.73 gears, they did not come from the factory. Only the 10-bolt came from the factory.
Old 03-07-2006, 04:26 PM

yes ok i agree about 3.73's. and the air pump was a mistype sorry, what i meant was the air intake/egr setup meanign where the egr tube bolted to the intake.
sorry.
Old 03-07-2006, 05:44 PM
Banned

only year i would avoid are 93's maybe 94's cuz of the opti. 93's for many reasons.

there is no set mileage to avoid. other then over like 170k haha, but seriously it all depends on how it was taken care of.

again 97's have the newer interior. it all depends if you like it or not.
93 is good! get the facts right
Old 03-07-2006, 06:29 PM

Question Re: Common 4th Gen Problems

a little bit confusing right now... Well I guess i want a 96 Camaro or trans am, they are the same right? Installing a clutch Throwout bearing and a flywheel all by myself how much are just the parts? If should try to grab one with around 50,000 or less? How much rust is bad i mean i think almost every car has rust so where should i look for it? Where is the most common part that gets rusty and can be a problem? Thanks for all you guys info
Old 03-07-2006, 06:41 PM

93 is good? they blow... busted yellow gauges, different starter, different gearing in the manuals, no mass air flow. and various other changes

Quick Reply: Common 4th Gen Problems