General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

carbon pellets in fuel line/hose

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 12:16 AM

carbon pellets in fuel line/hose

Hey guys stupid problem came back a thread I wrote last year about my hesitating,missing n jerking problem, just gonna learn the hard way I quote "never let stupid mechanics work on your camaro" ok I decided to check the fuel lines n pulled out the hose that connects to egr solenoid n runs all the way to the charcoal canister,n just all this carbon pellets poured out,I blew out the rest after disconnecting the one off the canister.

And after I blew them out alot,I was thinking n I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I hope I found my hesitating problem I been chasing for a year now, n also hoping that finding the carbon pellets in my line will solve this missing n hesitating issue.

Btw I already changed the canister last year but didn't blow the line out when I discovered the fistful of pellets from the old canister. Thank you guys
Mike 94 z28 lt1 stock m6
Old 05-03-2016, 10:36 AM
Administrator

Re: carbon pellets in fuel line/hose

It's not a fuel line. It for the air/vapor mix from the canister. And it shouldn't connect to the EGR solenoid. It connects to a u-shaped pipe on the driver side of the engine. The pipe wraps around under the throttle body, and a plastic line goes to the EVAP purge solenoid on the bracket on the passenger side of the intake manifold.

That would only affect operation of the engine when the PCM activates the EVAP purge, generally at higher throttle loads. This is where a data log helps you out, because you can see when the PCM opens the EVAP purge solenoid, and how far it opens it (duty cycle). If you had carbon in the line, you have to clean the solenoid as well. If the solenoid is sticking open due to carbon, that might cause a problem.

http://shbox.com/1/1995_evap.jpg
Old 05-03-2016, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
It's not a fuel line. It for the air/vapor mix from the canister. And it shouldn't connect to the EGR solenoid. It connects to a u-shaped pipe on the driver side of the engine. The pipe wraps around under the throttle body, and a plastic line goes to the EVAP purge solenoid on the bracket on the passenger side of the intake manifold.

That would only affect operation of the engine when the PCM activates the EVAP purge, generally at higher throttle loads. This is where a data log helps you out, because you can see when the PCM opens the EVAP purge solenoid, and how far it opens it (duty cycle). If you had carbon in the line, you have to clean the solenoid as well. If the solenoid is sticking open due to carbon, that might cause a problem.

I'm sorry Fred about calling it a fuel line lol,n also saying the egr solenoid, I thought that's wat it's called but I'm getting confused about the egr solenoid n evap solenoid? But yes I do know it's a u shape that runs around n connects to the evap solenoid. Ok thank you yes I cleaned up the evap solenoid there was carbon pellets in that part really bad.

What kind of problems can the evap solenoid give u if it's filled with carbon pellets ☺ hoping the hesitating problem is over
Old 05-03-2016, 05:10 PM
Administrator

It's either going to plug the line and prevent the EVAP system from pulling vapor out of the canister (which can saturate and damage the canister), or, if the solenoid sticks open, it could present a small vacuum leak, although most of the time there would still be fuel vapor/air mix in the line as well, just reduced flow.
Old 05-03-2016, 09:09 PM

It's either going to plug the line and prevent the EVAP system from pulling vapor out of the canister (which can saturate and damage the canister), or, if the solenoid sticks open, it could present a small vacuum leak, although most of the time there would still be fuel vapor/air mix in the line as well, just reduced flow.
Cool thank you Fred
Old 05-09-2016, 05:10 PM

Hey Fred that cleaningup of the vapor line did help a lil bit,but now I'm only getting a miss/jerk/stutter at 4000 rpm like I have to shift before 4000 rpm so I don't have to feel it.

I decided to pull the throttle body off n look at the Tps sensor n iac valve,the tps was stripped,n the spring inside of the iac valve was ripped/broken. I had extra Tps sensor laying around still in the box from previous owner was inside camaro when I first bought it. And a iac valve

I'll put it together tonight and see what happens,any thoughts u guys have I really appreciate it
Old 05-09-2016, 07:28 PM
Administrator

Did the TP sensor have a foam seal around the throttle shaft?
Old 05-10-2016, 09:36 AM

Did the TP sensor have a foam seal around the throttle shaft?
Yes Fred it did
Old 05-16-2016, 11:53 AM

Can those carbon pellets get inside the fuel filter,problem is still going on,still getting misfiring at 3500 to 4000 rpm only in that range.

I watched a YouTube video of 95 camaro lt1 doing the same exact thing as mine,n I was able to get a hold of him,n I sent him a video of what happened with mine. And he said mine sounds exactly like his.

But my fuel filter I remember getting it changed probably 3 or 4 years ago
Old 05-16-2016, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by 94Z28LS1toLT1
Can those carbon pellets get inside the fuel filter,problem is still going on,still getting misfiring at 3500 to 4000 rpm only in that range.

I watched a YouTube video of 95 camaro lt1 doing the same exact thing as mine,n I was able to get a hold of him,n I sent him a video of what happened with mine. And he said mine sounds exactly like his.

But my fuel filter I remember getting it changed probably 3 or 4 years ago
https://youtu.be/y5OG0KtgXLA

This is what my camaro is doing
Old 05-16-2016, 03:35 PM
Administrator

No way for the carbon from the EVAP canister to get into the fuel tank/fuel filter/injectors.
Old 05-17-2016, 08:49 PM

No way for the carbon from the EVAP canister to get into the fuel tank/fuel filter/injectors.
Ok at a loss then