Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Check out this GTO concept

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2002, 08:53 PM

Post Check out this GTO concept

Found this today while surfing.
Really nice. Looks like a modern version of the '68 & '69. I only wish the backlight area was a little faster. Good artist,too.

http://www.geocities.com/victorglass222/DutchInjun.html

Old 06-22-2002, 09:39 PM

Talking

Very nice! I like that....modern...yet has the styling cues of the old GTO. That person has some talent!

Colin
98 Z28
Old 06-22-2002, 11:47 PM

Its OK, I have seen others I like better. But at least you could say the car actually has something to do with a GTO.
Old 06-23-2002, 12:40 AM

Hey...I like that!
Old 06-23-2002, 06:36 AM
Prominent Member

Thumbs up

http://www.geocities.com/victorglass222/gto3.jpg
(You may need to C&P......geeez I hate geocities) If this doesn't work, I'm refering to the first picture on the page linked above in the first post.

This is a GREAT interpretation and seem VERY do-able!

Hey Pontiac / GM take a look!!

[This message has been edited by Doug Harden, Pres CICC (edited June 23, 2002).]
Old 06-23-2002, 08:13 AM

WOW!!!
Totally amazing stuff!

I really like this pic: http://geocities.com/victorglass222/gto9.jpg
(c&p as mentioned already)

Its the side profile, and it looks sweet!
That dude is massively talented. I wonder what else he's come up with (other GM cars?).

EDIT: I just remembered, Iv seen that site before. There are a few more concepts, like a C5 Corvette Rebody, BMC Intruder, Pontiac Sprint GT Concept, and Lexus GR450 Concept.
Check em out! http://www.geocities.com/victorglass222/cars.html
Also, more GTO concepts: http://www.geocities.com/victorglass222/newGTO.html
------------------
---Ted Krygier-->

TED ONLINE

[This message has been edited by !!!TED!!! (edited June 23, 2002).]

[This message has been edited by !!!TED!!! (edited June 23, 2002).]
Old 06-23-2002, 08:24 AM

Those drawings are just plain...awesome. I even like the rear. THAT is a car I would buy.

------------------
97 Z28 M6 Black
Moroso CAI, 1LE elbow, airfoil, TB bypass, 160 thermo, HPP+, LT4 KM, AC Delco Rapidfire plugs, Taylor Spiro-Pro wires, B&M Ripper, 1LE tranny mount, polyurethane front swaybar bushings, Borla catback WFO, BMR STB, red badging and custom red interior, chrome 17x9.5" ZR1s, Firehawk SZ50s, synthetic fluids throughout
Old 06-23-2002, 02:18 PM

Woah, some of the concepts in this link http://www.geocities.com/victorglass222/newGTO.html are really good, much better than the "offical." They gave the car what it should have, nice lines and not roundness also.
Old 06-23-2002, 07:39 PM

Thumbs up

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by HuJass:
Found this today while surfing.
Really nice. Looks like a modern version of the '68 & '69. I only wish the backlight area was a little faster. Good artist,too.

http://www.geocities.com/victorglass222/DutchInjun.html

</font>
It's a MIRACLE! Does the artist have his/her resume' together..LUTZ hire this person and fire the chop-shop guy you've got working for you now!

I'd buy TWO of those....THAT'S EXACTLY what I'm talking about...A MODERN rendition of a classic car...

If someone can sit down and do this at HOME why can't GM's high dollar personnel do the same!

That's all that I was asking for in ALL of the previous threds...I saw that car, and WITHOUT looking at the badges, said: THAT'S A GTO! That is how the legend should be brought back. In triumphant fashion!!!

------------------
'69 GTO 400 H.O. 350 HP
'96 Bonneville 231 S.D.
'96 Sunfire 2.4L H.O.
Old 06-23-2002, 09:04 PM

GOATCRAZY,
GM CAN do that, probably better.
But that's a whole new car. It's not feasible to dump close to a billion dollars into a new car & platform for targeted sales of around 20,000 units. Just not gonna happen. Plus, what a better way of testing the market with minimal investment.
I'm sure when GM goes to the drawing board for the homegrown Goat, it probably will be a bit more expressive than the 2004, but we have to wait. I think the 2004 is a GREAT stop-gap until then.
And there's no way they were going to reskin the Monaro. It just costs too much money.

It's fine if you don't like the 2004. I think everybody here knows how you feel.
We get it.
Old 06-23-2002, 09:14 PM
Prominent Member

Question

What about just giving us the front end???? And maybe some tailight treatment?? That's VERY do-able!
Old 06-24-2002, 02:43 AM

Yup, we're not looking for an entirly different car because its not really possible now. (Even though it would probably be nice) But they CAN make it look RIGHT, and not like that thing they say is gonna be called GTO.
Old 06-24-2002, 11:40 AM

Talking

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by IZ28:
Yup, we're not looking for an entirly different car because its not really possible now. (Even though it would probably be nice) But they CAN make it look RIGHT, and not like that thing they say is gonna be called GTO.</font>
Can I get another AMEN!

Here's the philosophy behind what I believe a lot of people are feeling: There are two paths that the "GTO" marketing strategy could take.

1) Integrate the GTO into the current model lineup. Make the styling similar to current models, and use limited amounts of cues from the heritage years.

2) Make the GTO a totally retro vehicle, limited production, special edition, nitche vehicle. Styling heavily influenced by it's heritage, with a fresh twist on an orginal design.

It is obvious that GM is heading down path #1. Again, from a business case standpoint, it's cheaper, and easier to do than #2. It's what GM has done with the Impala, Monte and others.

The real catch is what is GM's long range vision for the car: High-volume sales in the model lineup, or nitche vehicle designed to spark excitement back into the brand? If the intent is to make it into a bread-and-butter car then I can see why they took the path that they did. It's a cheap way to test the waters before opening up the floodgates.

I obviously prefer to see the GTO as a nitche vehicle similar to the Thunderbird. I really can't see that platform as being a high-volume sales long-term; but maybe I'm looking at life through rose-colored glasses.

But path #1 is still in my opinion, is exactly what happened to the Impala and others, and now the goat will face the same demise...Blurred into mediocrity...

------------------
'69 GTO 400 H.O. 350 HP
'96 Bonneville 231 S.D.
'96 Sunfire 2.4L H.O.
Old 06-24-2002, 01:56 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GOATCRAZY:
1) Integrate the GTO into the current model lineup. Make the styling similar to current models, and use limited amounts of cues from the heritage years.

2) Make the GTO a totally retro vehicle, limited production, special edition, nitche vehicle. Styling heavily influenced by it's heritage, with a fresh twist on an orginal design.

path #1 is still in my opinion, is exactly what happened to the Impala and others, and now the goat will face the same demise...Blurred into mediocrity...
</font>
the main difference which is undeniable is that the GTO is not a V6 or a Toyota 4-cylinder, and it's not front wheel drive. It's RWD with a Vette engine.. doesn't that count for anything? R.I.P. Impala, Monte, Nova, etc. but the wording on Pontiac's GTO website and press release are pretty strong indications that it's NOT going down the same path as they did. Let's hope they remember that w/ the next-gen GTO. Those sketches From Dutch Injun should be forwarded to someone at GM who can put 'em into a real car.. I love those sketches. Always amazing how a kid with a pen can do better concepts than a billion-dollar clusterf*** like GM.

------------------
1982 Recaro Trans Am (Y84), LU5/WS6/CC1/G80/J65/etc. 3,070 orig. miles (6/20/2002) - http://ohok.com/82recaro
1985 Base Firebird, F41/LB8/GU5/etc. CB radio, 142kmiles. http://ohok.com/82recaro/kizzsfb.jpg
1984 Firebird S/E, WS6/LL1/MD8/etc. All original, 102kmiles. Sold 5/02 http://ohok.com/82recaro/kizzsse.jpg
Old 06-24-2002, 05:46 PM

I really really like those drawings. I would buy this car easily with not even driving one, and I have never done that before in my life. This is perhaps the best amature concept drawing I have ever seen. That is exactly what a real 2007 GTO should look like. Base it on Sigma, and what a car it would be. What a nice looking car!

Digressing a bit, a great drawing like this really makes it clear how wrong GM was to call the 2004 Holden a GTO. What is so hard about calling it something else? Even leaving it called Monaro would have been more appropriate, and leaving the Monaro front end on it would have made it better looking.

If the wanted a name from the past, why not Beaumont, or Tempest, or Catalina.

Quick Reply: Check out this GTO concept