General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

To buy or not to buy?

Old 03-06-2016, 08:21 PM

To buy or not to buy?

Sorry I'm new, so please don't castrate me if this is the wrong place. I plan on buying a Z28 and having it as a toy. From what I see this car is great, but when I look at it is there things I should look for or be aware of? Thanks in advance! I look forward to being a part of this community. http://charleston.craigslist.org/cto/5479462185.html

Last edited by JakeRobb; 03-07-2016 at 06:54 AM. Reason: fixed link
Old 03-07-2016, 12:11 AM

Re: To buy or not to buy?

Is it the white convertible with 70,000 mi plus on it at a dealer?Pretty scary when they don't post a price.
Old 03-07-2016, 06:02 AM
Administrator

What year? I went to the link you posted and it says the posting has been deleted. They have been making a Z28 on and off for decades.

This posting has been deleted by its author.

(The title on the listings page will be removed in just a few minutes.)
If its a 4th Gen LT1 (93-97) this is a copy and paste f something I posted a couple months ago:

If possible, scan it for codes. Hard to do on a 95 because it has an OBD-1 PCM and a 16-pin OBD-2 style ALDL connector. You need an older GM OBD-1 scanner with a couple of jumper wires to pull codes. Shorting the ALDL connector to flash the codes won't work on anything after 1993.

These engine will go 200,000 miles if well cared for. Weak point is the "Optispark" distributor, with its integral optical cam position sensor. Located below the water pump, can be damaged by leaks and it's a very expensive part (~$400 for AC Delco or Delphi - the only recommended replacements). Ask if the Opti has been replaced, and with what brand.

Look for oil leak at the rear of the block/intake manifold, passenger side. Ditto on the front of the engine at the Opti, (gear driven) water pump and crank seal. The water pump drive shaft seal in the timing cover is difficult to install.

Watch for engine overheating. The LT1 has a unique "reverse flow" coolant system, and needs to be carefully purged of air to cool effectively. Middle of the gauge (~210-degF) is normal.

Oil pressure - I'd look for at least 20psi at idle, and 10psi/1,000 RPM above idle.

Inspect the throttle body bores and the nearby inside of the intake manifold for funky oil/carbon buildup. That can be the sign of bad rings, causing crankcase pressure, reversing air flow in the line from the passenger side valve cover to the throttle body, blowing oil into the throttle body.

At 20+ years old, it's normal for vacuum lines to be cracked and leaking.

Ask about age of plugs and wires. Can be a bit difficult to replace.

If original, shocks and suspension bushings can be worn, needing replacement.

If it's a "snow belt" car, check for severe rust at the sub frames, suspension attachment points and floor pans.

Engine should start quickly at turn of the key. Extended cranking can point to a faulty fuel pressure regulator, leaving injectors, or faulty check valve in the fuel pump.

Pull the carpet up on the package shelf behind the rear seat. It isn't unusual to cut a "hatch" to access the fuel pump. Nothing wrong with that, but the workmanship should be neat and the cover effectively sealed to the body sheet metal.
Old 03-08-2016, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
What year? I went to the link you posted and it says the posting has been deleted. They have been making a Z28 on and off for decades.

If its a 4th Gen LT1 (93-97) this is a copy and paste f something I posted a couple months ago:

If possible, scan it for codes. Hard to do on a 95 because it has an OBD-1 PCM and a 16-pin OBD-2 style ALDL connector. You need an older GM OBD-1 scanner with a couple of jumper wires to pull codes. Shorting the ALDL connector to flash the codes won't work on anything after 1993.

These engine will go 200,000 miles if well cared for. Weak point is the "Optispark" distributor, with its integral optical cam position sensor. Located below the water pump, can be damaged by leaks and it's a very expensive part (~$400 for AC Delco or Delphi - the only recommended replacements). Ask if the Opti has been replaced, and with what brand.

Look for oil leak at the rear of the block/intake manifold, passenger side. Ditto on the front of the engine at the Opti, (gear driven) water pump and crank seal. The water pump drive shaft seal in the timing cover is difficult to install.

Watch for engine overheating. The LT1 has a unique "reverse flow" coolant system, and needs to be carefully purged of air to cool effectively. Middle of the gauge (~210-degF) is normal.

Oil pressure - I'd look for at least 20psi at idle, and 10psi/1,000 RPM above idle.

Inspect the throttle body bores and the nearby inside of the intake manifold for funky oil/carbon buildup. That can be the sign of bad rings, causing crankcase pressure, reversing air flow in the line from the passenger side valve cover to the throttle body, blowing oil into the throttle body.

At 20+ years old, it's normal for vacuum lines to be cracked and leaking.

Ask about age of plugs and wires. Can be a bit difficult to replace.

If original, shocks and suspension bushings can be worn, needing replacement.

If it's a "snow belt" car, check for severe rust at the sub frames, suspension attachment points and floor pans.

Engine should start quickly at turn of the key. Extended cranking can point to a faulty fuel pressure regulator, leaving injectors, or faulty check valve in the fuel pump.

Pull the carpet up on the package shelf behind the rear seat. It isn't unusual to cut a "hatch" to access the fuel pump. Nothing wrong with that, but the workmanship should be neat and the cover effectively sealed to the body sheet metal.
Great info! Thanks for the tips for others like myself looking to buy.