Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Don't click if you don't like long rants..Farewell Firebird and Camaro.

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2002, 02:21 AM

Post Don't click if you don't like long rants..Farewell Firebird and Camaro.

Camaro...Firebird...Z28...Trans Am. I feel as though losing them is like losing a brother or sister. I remember the first time I saw an F-body. It was 1983 and I was 8 years old. It was a blue Camaro. I remember thinking "wow, I've never seen a car that low and sleek. I can actually see the top of the roof." The car just looked plain Bad-***.
Some may consider the Corvette to be the heart and soul of GM Performance. I respectfully disagree. The corvette began life in 1953 as a "sporty" 6 cylinder roadster in 1953. Camaro and firebird sprang to life 14 years later as two purpose- built machines offering 396ci and 400ci engines respectively. The corvette became an awesome performance car. The F-body was BORN an awesome performance car. Until I was 7 I thought my Hot Wheels Camaro was actually the Corvette, because it was the best looking car I had ever seen.
Camaro and Firebird have always offered ***** out performance and style at a price that is accessable to the masses--even today. In the mid 20 thousand dollar range you can buy a boring front wheel drive family sedan, or a rear wheel drive, tire smoking, ***-hauling, take no prisoners, 310 RWHP Fbod. Camry, Accord, Grand Prix,Impala etc. all fall into the <b>same</b> price category loaded. The Corvette is a great value when compared to exotics and the Viper, but lets face it, there are many among us who will NEVER be able to affors a $45,000 two seat car.
Some of us are Chevy guys, and some of us are Pontiac Guys. You can file me away in the Pontiac Category. I've only owned 1 non-Pontiac which was my first car-a 1992 Chevy Lumina (Euro!?). Since then I've had a 1995 Grand Prix and a 1999 Grand AM GT, and currently a 2001 GTP, 1999 T/A, and '79 T/A reside in my garage. There will ALWAYS be a Trans Am in my garage, from now until the casket drops.
I will continue to buy and drive Pontiacs that appeal to me, but make now mistake--Iam pissed that our cars are leaving, even for a short hiatus. I have no doubt that the Camaro will be back, because it obviously has true enthusiasts in key positions. Maybe the Firebird does too, but whoever that person may be makes no attempt reach out to the loyal masses, and that folks, is a tragedy. When the Camaro returns, I will not buy one. Not out of petty spite, but simply because Chevy styling does not appeal to me or reflect my personality. I'll buy a GTO or a Solstice or I'll drive my T/As 'till the wheels fall off. Then I'll bolt them back on and keep driving 'till they fall off again.
The really sad part is that I believe politics have brought us to this point. I believe that when GM was less then a week away from a strike at their Canadian plants in 1999, they had to make some hard decisions and compromises, and we are one of the casualties. Out-sourcing of components was a key issue in that contract. GM loves it, and the CAW wasn't having it. GM could hardly afford a strike in the middle of the launch of several key new products the recently introduced high volume '99 Grand Am, as well as the Highly profitable all new '99 fullsize trucks which were barely trickling out anyway, and the upcoming 2000 Impala. For lack of a better term, I believe they "made a deal with the devil".
I don't know if I really have a point with this post except to say that I love Camaro and Firebird. It make me sick to the stomach to see them go, even for a while. There are many more important things than cars, but they are interwoven with key people and events in our lives. Sometimes we live in them, and even die in them. I loved cuising with my uncle in his 1976 two-tone silver and Burgundy Impala with the half moon headlight covers (it was the style then). My uncle is currently battling Leukemia and no matter what I will always associate that car with him.
The bottom line is, bring 'em back. Bring both of them back better than ever so that we can start the love affair all over again. Thanks for reading. If you made it this far then you must love these cars like I do, or you have no life .

------------------
'99 Black T/A MN6, SLP LOUDMOUTH, Pro 5.0

'79 T/A Sport Gold Metallic
"I'm gonna need a speedy car. Speedier than that."

[This message has been edited by Hoodshaker (edited August 26, 2002).]
Old 08-25-2002, 01:36 PM

Hey Hoodshaker,
Yeah I'm with you on that all the way. I remember riding in my brother in law's '90 GTA for the first time and how I fell in love with it, and knew I had to have one. And also, no matter how corny this sounds, wanting a firebird becuase of Knight Rider. Ever since then, I've had a fascination and love for firebirds and Trans Ams ever since. I currently own a '02 TA and I damn well know that I'll own it forever. The joy I get in cruising in my car is unmistakeable, that's why I find many reasons to hop in and fire her up, and to take the long way home. I, like you, will continue to drive it til the wheels fall off, and also am hoping to find a nice restoration project in the future from a 1st or 2nd gen TA. I just hope that when a 5th gen returns, somebody up in Pontiac makes a hell of a push to bring back the firebird, if not I'm gonna be pissed. In short, noone can understand the love we have for our cars until they get behind the wheel of one. I know I'll be enjoying ripping it up and down the streets for a long time.
Old 08-25-2002, 06:32 PM

Hell yeah! Got any pics of the '79?! Mine is gold too, and I don't know anyone else on the board with a gold T/A! What shape is the car in? What's it got in it? My engine just ran for the 1st time since the rebuild saturday.......I am starting to break it in, and it kicks all ***. I like the little lump in the cam I got too.

------------------
1978 Trans Am, Pontiac 400 + .030", milled/decked 9:1 comp., High Energy 268H cam, comp cams rr's, valve job, balanced, edelbrock intake/carb, hooker headers, dual exhaust, flowmaster 40 series 2 chambers, B&M holeshot 2000 TC, B&M ratchet shifter, and march pullies. http://www.cardomain.com/member_page...=225185&page=1
Old 08-25-2002, 11:35 PM

Thumbs up

Thanks for the replies guys. i'm glad to see there are others who feel as I do.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by AJ1978TA:
Hell yeah! Got any pics of the '79?! Mine is gold too, and I don't know anyone else on the board with a gold T/A! What shape is the car in? What's it got in it? My engine just ran for the 1st time since the rebuild saturday.......I am starting to break it in, and it kicks all ***. I like the little lump in the cam I got too.

</font>
I checked out you site and your car looks sweeet! Nothing puts a smile on my face faster than a well maintaned 2nd gen T/A. My '79 has the Olds 403 and is pretty much stock. I've done mostly suspension,interior, paint and body so far. I've got some small chamber heads in the closet waiting for a cam and an Edelbrock intake. How do you like you comp cam so far? Here's a pic--&gt;&gt;&gt; http://members.directvinternet.com/heroii/shaker3.jpg

I need to put the decals back on.

------------------
'99 Black T/A MN6, SLP LOUDMOUTH, Pro 5.0

'79 T/A Sport Gold Metallic
"I'm gonna need a speedy car. Speedier than that."
Old 08-26-2002, 11:53 AM

I know what you mean exactly. When I was about 8 I told my dad I wanted a Mustang, he replied "why get a mustang when you can buy a camaro and blow the doors off of that ford?" Since then I have always been a GM and mainly F-body man. I just bought my first F-body last winter, resisting the usual imports that my generation seems to like so much. Since then plenty of kids have bought f-bodies, about 4-5 in half a year. Everything from 3.4's to LS-1's. I guess they're just easy to love. I'm accually going threw depression after seeing them leave, and seeing so many pony cars come up to fill the void. I read about the RX-8, the 350Z and all the rav about them, and I just think d***, where is my hero? Where is my all american badass with no apologies to no one that can melt tire and smoke all competition in its class?

------------------
1996 Camaro RS
Black M5 T-Top
Old 08-26-2002, 04:29 PM

Thumbs up

I'll tell you A story.I had A 78 malibu 2d that I got for A $125 cdn.Idid A little bit of work on it.Then one day my stepfather came by my work to talk to my boss(they were friends)and mentiond he just picked up A camaro(he drove A towtruck).Well me being the chev guy I had to take A look.As i went outside I seen it.The most beutiful car I had ever seen.Ther it was A 79 z28 black with gold stripes.I asked him what he was going to do with it and he said he might sell it.So I asked him how much?how about $150?SOLD! I said.I sold the malibu,gave him the money and it was mine.When I turn 16 i phoned my mom's insurence company,I was told $6000/yr,so I had to sell it.When it came time that I could afford A newer car 2 years ago,there was only one car I wanted and now I have it.It's A 97 Z28 black(no stripes)and I love it,I'll never sell it.This all started with that 79 Z28 that I got for cheap and I'm glad I did.
Old 08-27-2002, 02:24 PM

I feel the same way as you guys. I have always liked the Camaro's but the one that got me hooked was z28wilson's car. He let me drive it and I knew I had to have one. I got my car 8 months later but due to the economy and a personal matter I had to sell the car less that a year later. It broke my heart but I hope in less than 2 years to get another one.
Old 08-27-2002, 02:32 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 2K1SunsetSS:
I feel the same way as you guys. I have always liked the Camaro's but the one that got me hooked was z28wilson's car. He let me drive it and I knew I had to have one.</font>
Yeah you HAD to one-up me didn't you, Tom? I have a feeling we'll both be looking for SS's down the road...somehow I don't think the '94 will keep me satisfied until at least 2006 for a 5th Gen.

------------------
Mark

94 Z28, Red, A4, 3:23
Lone Mods--LPE CAI, !Lapeer Dragway.

Best time: 14.658 @ 95.1
with SES light on and Driver off! (First and only time at track)

The F-body will NEVER die.