General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

advice on engine rebuild/replace

Old 07-28-2014, 01:28 PM

advice on engine rebuild/replace

Hi, new to the forums so hopefully posting this in the right place. I am looking to buy a rebuilt or re-manufactured engine for a 95 z28 and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on where i should purchase from. I have researched several different sellers but they all seem to have mixed reviews (understandable if you sell a lot of engines, can't make everyone happy) I'm interested in your personal experiences with the place that you'd recommend.
Or if you know of a reputable re-builder near the tidewater area of Virginia that would be great too.

Thank You
Old 07-29-2014, 12:29 PM
Administrator

Re: advice on engine rebuild/replace

I don't have any input on the relative cost of a new long block vs. a rebuild, but one question you need to ask yourself - do you want to upgrade performance? For the cost of a rebuild, supplemented by upgrades of specific parts, you can get in the range of 450-500HP. The key is a set of stock LT1 heads (which you already have) ported by a person that knows how to get the maximum performance out of the LT1 heads, and can supply a matching cam to support your performance and driveability goals.

Alternatively, you could look at a short block, and use your heads, ported, and the new camshaft to produce max performance (or less if that is all you want).
Old 07-29-2014, 08:55 PM

Hey Injuneer,

Thanks for the the reply. I suppose i could/should have supplied a little more information.
The heads currently on the car aren't stock they are these: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-61905
(blew the stock heads)
and they have around 500 miles on them, other new/close to new parts include; optispark, fuel filter, plugs, wires, (head, intake, exhaust, and water neck gaskets) and a magnaflow catback. All of this was installed at the same time and about a month or two later there is a LOUD knock coming from the car (it can be CLEARLY heard over a fairly loud catback). I was told it was rod knock....after just putting nearly $4,000 into those changes/fixes..i now have a car that not only isn't worth the amount of money in it, but is also only useful as a lawn ornament. I would not mind upgrading performance but at this point i'm scared to let anyone touch it. I have talked to 20 different mechanics and have gotten 20 different answers(and prices) on what needs to be done. That's why i am trying to find some others who know of someone reasonable and reliable in or near the tidewater area of Virginia.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:23 AM
Administrator

Those heads will really limit the ability to pick up additional power. Bottom line is the stock heads are better. What do you mean by "blew the stock heads"?

How many miles on it?

I'd say just rebuild the bottom end. Reuse the crank if it's not damaged, but have it refurbished. Stock PM rods are beefy, but hard to reuse, since the wrist pins are press-fit in the rod end. Pistons will depend on whether it needs to be bored (cylinder walls scored or out of round).
Old 07-30-2014, 01:59 PM

cracked the heads that were on it...not sure if they were stock, they were iron. Car has 100k on it. I don't have a clue how to rebuild any part of a car lol...don't know much beyond how to drive them (evidenced by the fact that i paid $1,600 for heads that perform worse than stock apparently ) That's why i am looking for some input on a good rebuilder
Old 07-30-2014, 02:08 PM

Iron heads did not come on the fourth gen F body V8.