General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

94 Camaro fog/tail/parking lights issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2019, 12:22 PM

94 Camaro fog/tail/parking lights issue

Hey guys new to the forum and I have done extensive research on this problem and found nothing. My orange turn signal lights and tail lights stay on at all times and I can turn on the fog lights with the switch even if the headlights are set to off. When I turn off the vehicle my ignition does the fast chime (likely due to those lights staying on) and when I open the door, only then do all the lights go off and the chime goes away. When I close the door back they don't come back on. If anyone has any insight on this it would be greatly appreciated as I can't find anything online that has helped me.
Old 05-01-2019, 06:50 PM
Administrator

Re: 94 Camaro fog/tail/parking lights issue

As far as the fog lights - almost sounds like someone has rewired it to pick up fog light power from the retained accessory power (RAP) module, rather than from the headlight switch. If the radio is on when the fog lights are on, when you turn the key to “off” do both the radio and fogs turn off at the same time when you open the door?

From Shoebox

RAP module:

http://shbox.com/1/rap_schematic.jpg

Headlight/Fog:

http://shbox.com/1/headlight_chevy_1995.jpg

Exterior:

1995 4th Gen F-Body Exterior Lights

94 should be similar.
Old 05-01-2019, 07:06 PM

Yes they all turn off at the same time when I open the door. There is no other way for me to turn off the lights, except for fogs but only by flipping the fog switch.
Old 05-01-2019, 09:29 PM
Administrator

I was specifically addressing the fogs. Are you saying the amber turn lights, and the red taillights also go out only when you open the door?

Are you a long-time owner of this car and this is a recent problem, or is this a car you recently bought, and it came with these problems?
Old 05-01-2019, 09:48 PM

Recent car came with these problems. Yes they all go off only when I open the door, including fogs if they are on. I remember on my last z28 the fogs wouldn't turn on unless the headlight switch was at least one click to the right, regardless of whether the fog switch was on or off. On this one, with the headlights completely off, I can still turn the fogs off and on.
Old 05-02-2019, 09:06 AM
Administrator

As I said, appears someone has rewired the fogs. The schematic I posted clearly shows the power only goes to the fog light switch when the headlight switch is in the “park” or “headlight” position. Now it appears they are getting power from the RAP module. The module includes two relays, and one of them stays powered for about 10 minutes after the key is turned to off (so you can listen to the radio or operate the power windows), or until the driver’s door is opened.

Logically, a previous owner may have done the rewiring so he could run the fogs all the time, and they would go off when he left the car. But with the amber turn lights and the rear taillights doing exactly the same thing, it would be running a lot of power through the RAP module, and take some significant, well thought out wiring. Would also seem to have left the turn signals so they no longer blinked. Do the turns blink when you flip the lever?

Also might be a major short in the wiring, but that would seem to take a major coincidence to produce the results you have.

Probably best to find a good automotive electrical shop and let them trace the wiring, comparing it to schematics. You should download (free) the 1994 factory service manual for a correct reference. There were a couple minor fuse changes/relocations in the 1995 model, shown in the diagrams I linked.

https://www.mediafire.com/?40mfgeoe4ctti
Old 05-02-2019, 09:34 AM

Ok thank you. And yes my turn signals still work
Old 05-02-2019, 10:01 AM
Administrator

Is it actually the side “clearance” lights that are staying on? ..... the amber in the wrap around front turn signal lens, and the red rectangle on the side of the rear fenders?
Old 05-02-2019, 11:29 AM

All of them except the actual headlights. Side markers, tail lights, turn lights, fog lights.