General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

1996 Camaro Z28 radiator hoses.

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 11:52 AM

1996 Camaro Z28 radiator hoses.

Does anyone know if the smaller lower radiator hose on the drivers side is a different diameter on each end. It's the smaller diameter lower hose from the lowest part of the radiator to the water pump. It's only about 3/4" ID and has a larger diameter clamp on the water pump end than on the radiator connection end. It's not available from GM, so I cut to length what I needed from heater hose, and only the water pump end fits snug, the radiator end slides on too easily, but seemed tight enough with the smaller OEM clamp on that end. It's now dripping as I expected it might, but I'm having a difficult time fathoming that GM would have a hose manufactured for any car with different sized ends. It seems to be about a 1/16" smaller on the original hose at that end. There seems to be several parts no longer available for these cars from GM, yet they aren't old enough for anyone to be remanufacturing parts like on the first generation Camaros. After seeing what GM did with the design of the OEM heater hoses on these models, I guess nothing should surprise me! Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 10-15-2017, 06:08 PM
Administrator

Re: 1996 Camaro Z28 radiator hoses.

Post #5 in this thread indicates one end is 5/8” ID and the other is 3/4” ID.

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1...erpump-137879/

How about a length of each ID, and try a 3/4” barbed connector/clamps to join them? Might be easier to fit them up, forcing the lubed 3/4” barb into the 5/8” end, before you have to crawl under the car.
Old 10-16-2017, 10:00 PM

Ok guys, I found the correct hose at auto Zone and Advanced auto parts. Auto Zone right in my neighborhood said they had it in the warehouse and got it to the store for me by late afternoon. It's a Dayco part #87939 and is listed as a heater bypass hose. I know it has nothing to do with the heater, but that's what they were calling it, and it's exactly the same as the OEM hose. I tried getting it there last week and no one seemed to know what I was looking for, until I went back there today and called it a bypass hose.
Thank you Injuneer for pointing me in the right direction to that older post on this subject, with all the helpful replies to it with the bypass info.

Last edited by Chicago; 10-16-2017 at 10:06 PM.
Old 10-17-2017, 10:13 AM
Administrator

Thank you !

Valuable info for future reference. I'll see if Rob/Shoebox can add it to his parts list. Also might be a good time to start a "sticky" thread identifying discontinued parts and cross-referencing to aftermarket replacements.

Thanks again.