Fuel and Ignition Fuel Pumps and Systems, Ignition and Spark Systems

engine just runs when it wants too

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 02:38 PM

Unhappy engine just runs when it wants too

been all through this 97 camaro, lt1 engine. the car will start when i get in it, sometimes it won't, some times i can drive it for a day and it will be fine, then the next day it wont start, some time i drive it down the road and have to tow it back to the house, been noticing fuel pressure droping when driving, i cut a hole in trunk and changed fuel pump, change fuel regulator, changed complete distributor, i do have a external fuel pump on the frame rail, this car was at one time set up for drag racing with nox, can anyone help me with this, thanks, i'm pulling my hair out
Old 12-20-2012, 03:42 PM
Administrator

Re: engine just runs when it wants too

What happens when it won't start - turn key to "start" nothing happens, not even a click from the starter? .... starter engages but engine will not fire at all? ....starter engages and it sounds like it's firing but won't run?

Have you scanned it for codes? Have you checked the fuel pressure since the pump was replaced?
Old 12-20-2012, 07:10 PM

i can start it and the next time i can't start it, it will crank till the battery is dead, engine turns over fine
Old 12-20-2012, 11:19 PM
Administrator

Could be a problem with the ignition control module (ICM), optical cam position sensor in the Optispark distributor, fuel pump. That's why you need to check for codes and check the fuel pressure. You could also check for spark by pulling a few plug wires, one at a time, and holding the end of the wire near the block to see if there is a spark.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:03 PM

heres the codes i got,
po140
po372
p1371
p1441
Old 01-17-2013, 11:56 AM

hey guys, hope you all are doing good, i had a chance to drive my car down the road today, she left me on the side of the road again, when i pulled the vacuum line off the fuel pressure regulator she started up and was able to get her home, but she could not be pushed hard, does this mean i have a bad regulator or the wrong one in it, i did replace the regulator when i was having problems with her, i bought it from o'reillys, i see where alot of the guys are talking about the 13101 fuel regulators in here can someone give me full detail on this matter, thanks guys.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:31 PM
Administrator

The LT1 fuel pressure regulator (94-97) mounts on the back end of the driver's side fuel rail. In that configuration, the fuel supply goes in the back end of the passenger side rail, flows forward, through the crossover tube that connects the rails at the front, and then flows backward through the driver's side rail, into the fuel pressure regulator inlet. Only a regulator specifically designed for the LT1 will fit in that configuration.

The Aeromotive 13101 regulator is an outboard mounted regulator that requires you to run a line (or two lines) from the rails to the regulator. You can't use that type of regulator unless you have -AN hose connections welded to your fuel rail(s).

Aeromotive also makes a fuel pressure regulator for the LT1. Unfortunately, it has a history of frequent failures. Is that what you bought at O'Reilly's? Is the regulator you bought adjustable?

Aeromotive 13101:

Aeromotive LT1 regulator:

Have you checked the fuel pressure? When you pulled the vacuum line, was there any sign of wet fuel in the line, indicating a leaking fuel pressure regulator?

Last edited by Injuneer; 01-17-2013 at 02:35 PM.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:05 AM

FRED, when i replaced the regulator it was a standard regulator same as the one that came off of her, round with a o'ring and mounting plate, one bolt to mount it on the drivers side of engine, when she stalled on me yesterday and i pulled the vacuum line there was no sign of gas there, and the pressure ran between 38 and 40 psi, but she could hardly get up to speed and missed alot, she will set in the driveway with vacuum line on and start up every time and run smooth at high rpm, the trouble all starts when i drive her, pulled codes again, here what i got, p0113intake air temp sensor circuit high voltage, now on this one, i notice what i think is the Mass Air Flow, square box in the air intake right after the air filter with a electrical connection, i noticed an arrow on it and turned it around to where the arrow was pointing in the dirrection of air flow, it was oppitsite at first, (2) p0372 and p1371, oh yeah, the regulator i got is not adjustable, thanks for your help

Last edited by cargotec; 01-18-2013 at 09:47 AM.