Fuel and Ignition Fuel Pumps and Systems, Ignition and Spark Systems

Car shutting off after replacement of cd receiver head unit

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 02:50 PM

Re: Car shutting off after replacement of cd receiver head unit

It's kind of odd to me that the opti is having this problem again only after a year or less since replacing it when I did the LTCC conversion. I don't know if this is a stupid question.. but after I changed the cd receiver, first the battery died and then a couple weeks after the car started shutting off.. So is there a possible chance it could have something to do with replacing the battery or somehow with a wire that that was fiddled with when replacing the cd receiver? We didn't touch any wires underneath the steering wheel which I imagine are where the ignition wires are. Just don't understand why the opti would be having the same problem this soon especially after doing the LTCC conversion which is supposed to prolong the life of the opti. Not to mention I drive the car probably about 10 mi at the most per day on local roads so highest rpm I get to is around 2000. The car is driven very mildly.
Old 03-16-2017, 04:28 PM

Or it could just be that the opti is a **** no name opti "Richie" or something.
Old 03-16-2017, 05:31 PM
Administrator

Probably Rich Porter....could be the problem.

Just to clarify - did you ever SCAN the PCM for codes? You mentioned you were able to get a code, but not clear whether you meant a PCM code or the LTCC LED.
Old 03-17-2017, 02:28 PM

Yes PCM was scanned and no codes were thrown. Only got 2 and 3 red blinks from the LTCC.
Old 03-17-2017, 02:32 PM

http://www.torqhead.com/buy-24xlink-...egory=14327802

Thinking about getting this kit since I already have the 8 coils mounted. It is fairly pricey but I'm thinking it might be worth it for reliability and elimination of opti spark problems.
Old 03-17-2017, 04:03 PM

In your honest opinion, do you think its worth it to do this conversion and get rid of the opti all together? I just want reliability, really don't want to have to deal with the opti sensor going bad again. I could get an AC delco opti.. but are they even reliable anymore? Apparently AC Delcos have remanufactured sensors.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:05 PM
Administrator

After I got rid of my original unvented unit and deleted the high voltage, I never had a problem. The fastest known LT1 on the planet, about to break into the 7's in the quarter mile, uses a stock Opti, single coil. The people at ltxtech are the last of the hard core LT1 fanatics. 1/2 of them seem able to live with the Opti, the other 1/2 seem to have gone 24X and now the torqhead. Probably a better question to ask them. I took the middle ground, and kept 1/2 of the Opti.

At this point it isn't a question I need to answer personally. I'm at the point in my life where I'm retired and getting ready to sell my car for the small amount of money it will (hopefully) bring, and to save the cost of insurance and registration..
Old 03-20-2017, 03:48 PM

Thanks for your help. I just registered for the LTXTECH forum