Fuel and Ignition Fuel Pumps and Systems, Ignition and Spark Systems

96 Z28 accelerates unevenly

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 06:12 PM

96 Z28 accelerates unevenly

Okay, so here's my problem. I have a 1996 Z28 and initially my car was missing out really badly and the service engine soon light would flash. I took it to the shop and they told me the water pump gaskets were bad and coolant had leaked down onto and ruined the distributor. So I took it home and my dad and I put on new water pump gaskets, new plugs, new plug wires, a new distributor, new radiator hoses, new heater hoses, and a new radiator. My car then ran fairly well except I noticed that at higher speeds it had a very uneven or herky-jerky acceleration. It also seemed to have another small coolant leak. I decided to take it back in and see what might be going on and the shop told me the same damn thing. Now they said the water pump was bad and had leaked onto the new distributor and that they both needed replaced. I went ahead and let them do it and I really regret it. I really don't think the distributor was ruined that quickly. The car was not missing out at all like it had when I knew the first distributor was bad. And now the car behaves the exact same way. In fact it now accelerates unevenly at 0-60 where it didn't seem to before. And my service engine soon light flashed for a few seconds this morning. So they seemed to have actually made it worse. My problem seems to be only during acceleration. It idles fine and once you get up to highway speed and put on the cruise control, it runs smoothly. Any ideas on what's going on? The water pump, distributor, plugs, and wires should all be good. Could it be a timing issue or maybe a transmission problem? I just found out yesterday my rear transmission mount is broken. But that shouldn't have anything to do with it. I found that out the other day when I heard a thump on my floorboard when the car shifted. Or is it more likely to be something like a bad fuel injector, filter, or pump?