Forced Induction Supercharger/Turbocharger

Turbo oil restrictors causing smoke?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 07:27 AM

Turbo oil restrictors causing smoke?

I had a question reguarding oil restrictors in the feed lines for the turbo's. My oil system consists of a stainless -4 tube off the port above the oil filter and runs to the front of the motor. It then T's off to the 2 turbo's via -4 braided line to a 90deg fitting. These 90Deg fittings have been drilled and tapped to accept a set screw that has an orifice drilled in it (the restrictor).

I know drains are important and mine do have some near horizontal runs, but there is a good vertical drop before these runs and they are still pitched toward the motor oil pan.

I don't remember what size hole was drilled in the restrictor, as I did this many years ago, I'm thinking around .060 or so.

Here lies my question, a friend who has a very similar setup as me, and myself expereince some what I would call excessive smoking during WOT. Both motors are freshly rebuilt, his with new valve stem seals, mine with some newer AFR heads. Are these oil restrictors inhibiting the dynamic seals on the exhaust side from doing their jobs (sealing) and allowing oil into the exhaust? Do I really need restrictors? Any insight would be great!

Bill