Forced Induction Supercharger/Turbocharger

with turbo....

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2005, 07:06 PM

with turbo....

im a newb to FI somewhat, unsure of the fuel diff. in the turbo vs supercharger but im told its a pretty big difference, ive noticed alot of people get fuel management systems , why woudlnt just a bigger fuel pump work? and could u not have an ok cam, something very very streetable, and only run 6-8 #'s then flip it up when i want to get on it and have around 13-16 if you get all the right internals?...im asking bc ive just been looking to sell my car and buy an already boosted car but lately ive seen if its done right its either not for sale , or really expensive, and i figured' id just do mine how i wanted it, and if im going to BUILD my car for boost i'd rather be turbo than supercharged bc of the performance advantage, would 8.5:1 be too low? just wondering where i'd be safe at runing on 93 octane for the MAX to be around 15 #'s , i figure im gonna buy a bare block off ebay or locally and start from there, slowly...take my time so i dont see my bank account fall off completely lol, a part every 2 weeks will be fine --a slow build but it'l get done--crank one week pistons 2 weeks later and if i do get a block off ebay what all will i need to have done to make sure its in tip top condition, hot tanked etc?

---and ive seen where alot of people ask similar questions on here, and the responses are "its all about what you want" well, i want a engine thats reliable and isnt going to take a crap on me, and i want some pretty good power 450-520 would be more than enough, and ive see nwhere youve suggested going good heads/cam but can you really be streetable, not every day car but ...i do drive it regularly when i dont work, maybe 2-4 days out of 7 i would drive it

Last edited by glennxx1; 07-12-2005 at 07:09 PM.
Old 07-12-2005, 11:31 PM

Re: with turbo....

500 RWHP is fairly easy with FI. No need for an aftermarket fuel management system at that point. Where you're going to run into trouble with the factory PCM is the adjustable boost levels. The fuel and ignition curves will need to be tuned to the amount of airflow into the engine, so any time you turn up the boost you would also need to reprogram the PE tables and ignition advance tables in the PCM. I guess you could get around it somewhat by using an FMU for fuel enrichment and running an ignition box with a boost retard feature like the MSD-6BTM which is more or less how most of the FI kits are sold.
Old 07-15-2005, 01:36 PM

First, 8.5:1 is a pretty common comp ratio for FI. In respect to your question on block preperation, I would have it hot tanked, blasted, and tanked again. Have it inspected for cracks and any other damage. Debur all casting flash on the inside and outside of the block. Have ALL threads tapped. Before final assembly wash with mild soap and hot water to ensure it is clean. You could get away with the two bolt with ARP studs at that level of power, but I would go with 4 bolt splayed for future peace of mind. Ultimately it comes down to nothing is bullet-proof. You should be more than ok, but bear in mind that anything can happen. As long as you go with a nice set of custom forged slugs and have everything in check ie, tune, intercooling and fuel system you should be very happy with this setup. Most people break S**T on account of an improper tune or they just simply get greedy with the power and crank the boost without adding the proper octane fuel to the mix.
Old 07-15-2005, 01:51 PM

One more thing I forgot to mention. If you are planning on going the turbo route, it is often times much more expensive that what you will pay for a blower setup. Granted you want to be in the 500hp range which is easily attainable for a turbo LT-1, but if you decide to go beyond that level it starts to get VERY expensive. I am in the process of building a 900-1000rwhp 355 LT-1 and I am amazed at how much it is going to take to arrive at my final goal. The thing I love about turbos is that they are so efficient and are adjustable from the comfort of the drivers seat cruising down the ave as opposed to having to swap out a pulley ever time you want more boost. Turbos are just plain COOL. If you have the means, I highly recommend buying one. Call PTK, Im sure you have heard of them.