Forced Induction Supercharger/Turbocharger

Going with twin GT35's ...

Old 04-14-2014, 10:15 PM

Going with twin GT35's ...

My first setup in 2008 was Log manifolds (Realquick) and a single TC76. Next setup (current) was a tubular manifold (Realquick) and a single PT7675. Both turbos are great but I wanted more low end grunt w/o giving up the upper end. I asked Jose at Forced Inductions and the guys at SpeedInc about what I should choose for 2 small twins. Both guys where in the ball park of 58 to 60mm with a .63 A/R in their recommendations.
Ordered 2 GT35's with .63 A/R. The hotside that Realquick provided has tubular headers pointing forward and emerging behind the front swaybar. I *think* I can keep the manifolds and just run some piping up to put one turbo where the battery currently is and the other turbo on the corresponding position on the drivers side. Looking forward to the challenge of the installation.

BTW, went to a car club meeting over the past weekend. Bee You ti full weather and an hour and a half drive with 6 or more 5th Gens, 3 of the new challengers and one new 5.0 Mustang. The other guys were doing several flybys with each other but I only did it once. Hahaha.. no one did another one after that. I have the fastest street car in the club.

Some of the guys. I'm the red 4th gen behind the Green 5th Gen and next to the state trooper, lol...

Last edited by DirtyDaveW; 04-14-2014 at 10:23 PM.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:14 PM

Re: Going with twin GT35's ...

Dave, you work on your car more than you drive it. I do too, but pretty much stuck with the same theme all along. It'll be interesting to see how yours comes out this time. Just don't spend all summer working on it. Get a little driving in too! The car show looks like fun!

BTW, we had snow yesterday and this morning in Wisconsin... My car safe and warm in the garage for a few more days...
Old 04-15-2014, 06:36 PM

Hahaha.. .yeah.. There's a guy that owns a shop here (Twisted Synergy) that says "Dave, you love your Fboy toooo much" because I work on it all the time.

I really enjoy getting under the car and checking things and imagining how this and that will make it perform better, etc.

As usual, along the way, I have more than my fair share of frustrations. Example: a couple of years ago, I took out the 60# high impedance injectors and installed some new low impedance 95# and the "versafueler" to drive it. It hooked up right the first time and it ran great from day one. Then, I had one of my coil packs(LTCC conversion) lose it's ground when the nut/bolt came apart. I didn't know that was the issue at first and thought the connectors on the versafueler had perhaps shaken loose (I had just hit a monster pothole when the bolt/nut vibrated off). While the car was struggling to run, I unplugged the connector and quickly reconnected the versafueler. THEN I saw the ground wire disconnection. I put that back together and thought "all is good". I cranked it but it kinda stumbled then died. I ended up having to 'clear flood' it (Holding pedal to the floor while cranking) it was like the injectors were locked wide open. A huge white gas cloud came out steadily as I quickly drove her home. Good thing no wild fires were around.... Anyway, I assumed I'd popped the versafueler chip by unhooking and reconnecting with the power on. I tried swapping the box in and out and always, it runs great w/o the box and floods the living sh*t out of it when the box was hooked up. I told myself, well, buy another versa fueler Dave. You've roasted this one I guess. So I ordered another $239 versa fueler. I got it last Friday, installed it and guess what, SOS. Flooding.. I take the box out of the circuit and she runs fantastic. Put the box back on, never hits a lick w/o clear flooding it, which always sends out the white gas cloud of death. Ugh... .Well, when I get home this weekend, I'm going to setup a bunch of super bright LED's, connect them to the clips (unclipping all from the injectors) and then crank the car and see what the LED's show in terms of blinking. Then, I'll hook up the box and then crank the car again and see what THEY do. I've contacted Jeff about this and asked questions. Jeff can't see how in the hell they would lock wide open. This means my first box wasn't bad either. I've even switched PCM's, thinking that the injector drivers might be toast. No change. If the box is in the circuit, flood city. If it's not, it runs great.

Hope you get some decent driving weather soon!
Old 04-16-2014, 07:36 PM

According to Fedex, they arrived today. Wife picked them up and tucked them into the house till I get there tomorrow. I've been envisioning how to set them up. I feel like a kid before christmas, lol. I downloaded a Garrett Turbo app on my adroid and have been running it. Have you guys tried it? You find it (free) on the android store. It's called "Garrett Boost Advisor". It asks you a few questions and then recommends 1 or more Turbos and tells you the torque, etc and shows you compressor maps.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:45 AM

Neat little app. Said I should use twin GT3788's on my 408.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:42 PM

Well, couple of things today. I put my LED tester on cylinder #4, using the stock/standard harness. I then started the car and watched the LED flash rhythmically. Then I put the Versa fueler in the circuit and cranked it. Didn't hit one time but the LED stayed illuminated the entire time. Took the box back out of the circuit and cranked it (had to clear flood it) and the LED again flashed rhythmically. Jeff (creator of the versa fueler, always a nice guy) said I should send it back to him and he'll check it out.

The other thing was... Last Saturday, I went to wash the car for the car club get-together and let it get into about 15 psi of boost, just playing around. Well, it made this weird noise I've never heard it make before, then, at the next stop sign it wouldn't go below 2,000 rpm at idle. I wondered what had just messed up but thing it might be a stuck Throttle body. I flapped the gas pedal quickly, but the idle stayed high. I got out and checked for vacuum hoses off their nipples or any other unmetered air but could not see anything. I could swear I heard a telltale hiss of a vacuum leak though. The wide band didn't show any odd A/F ratio and the manifold pressure was still 15" of vacuum. I chalked it up to perhaps a bad Idle Air Control(IAC) motor/seat. I decided it to tackle it next weekend(this one today).

So, I get out my tools, taking off the Upipe going to the MAF and then grab the TrickFlow cast aluminum elbow going into the Throttle body when I noticed the entire throttle body was loose and wobbling around on 3 (yes, THREE) of the four bolts. The fourth one was completely out and only retained by the hose nipple coming off the water pump housing/Thermostat. Yikes... My mind flashed to...
  • I bet a section of gasket blew out and that's why my idle is so screwed up.
  • Hmmm.. I wonder if this is why this turbo (PT7675) didn't seem like that much of an improvement over my prior TC76 turbo?
  • I wonder if fixing this will make it spool noticeably more quick?

So, I pull off the throttle body and sure enough, a segment right where the idle air channel is located was gone. I had a new gasket in my shop so I cleaned the surfaces and reinstalled the TB. After hooking up everything else, I took her for a test drive. Good God...... Spool is quicker and it comes on so hard when boost starts. I'm unbelievably happy right now. Might wait to install the small twins till later.
Old 04-19-2014, 11:33 AM

Don't feel too bad about that Dave. I once gave my friend a ride out to where we were working on his car and on the way I got on it a little bit when the road opened up. It didn't seem right and the idle was also doing weird things. Otherwise it started and ran OK. When I got it home I took the piping apart before the throttle body and there was a big wad of shredded paper towls in there from the last time I worked on it. I had put the wad in the blower outlet so nothing would fall in there and forgot to take it out. My engine was devouring it bit by bit, but there was still enough to block half the throttle body and make it run like crap when I gave it the gas. Easy fix though and only a little embarrassing

Last edited by Kevin Blown 95 TA; 04-19-2014 at 11:35 AM.
Old 04-19-2014, 11:41 AM
Administrator

Even the pro's slip up..... The guys that built my engine, Second Street Speed, has a sub 7-second Pro 5.0 Mustang of their own. They were testing it on a track rental, made some changes, sent it out, and it fell on it's face. The towel they threw over the throttle body to keep the sun off it and keep the bugs out of it was still laying on top of the TB....
Old 04-19-2014, 07:51 PM

Hey Dave,

If you need somebody to test those 35's, let me know.

Old 04-20-2014, 08:19 AM

Lol... will do!

Originally Posted by 97WS6SCharged
Hey Dave,

If you need somebody to test those 35's, let me know.

Old 05-02-2014, 10:24 AM

I'd been posting on other sites, looking for pictures of other LT1's with side mounted turbos...

This is from Jim Morans old twin turbo 96 SS...