Forced Induction Supercharger/Turbocharger

Anyone running an ATI F-1 blower?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2004, 05:29 PM

Anyone running an ATI F-1 blower?

Just looking to get some insight. I would really like to hit 1K horsepower this time around, and I don't think the D-1 has enough flow to get there. I also like the F-1's self-contained setup vs. Vortech's YS trim. Does anyone have any experience with the F-1 setup in an F-body?
Old 06-29-2004, 07:10 PM

Re: Anyone running an ATI F-1 blower?

Originally posted by Josh-'97 WS6
Just looking to get some insight. I would really like to hit 1K horsepower this time around, and I don't think the D-1 has enough flow to get there. I also like the F-1's self-contained setup vs. Vortech's YS trim. Does anyone have any experience with the F-1 setup in an F-body?
If you do a search you will find that there are a couple of us running them and some good info. Anything particular you need to know?

Rich Krause
Old 06-29-2004, 08:51 PM

Re: Re: Anyone running an ATI F-1 blower?

Originally posted by rskrause
Anything particular you need to know?

Rich Krause
Most of the dimensions look the same as a D1, so I'm wondering about fit and placement. I assume ABS is a goner. Also, are you running the D1 brackets?

Are you using an off the shelf ATI intercooler, or a custom Spearco type like LJ's? I know ATI's twin intercooler setup will not flow enough to reach my goal.

Rich, any other thoughts or issues that you came across doing your setup?

Last edited by Josh-'97 WS6; 06-29-2004 at 08:55 PM.
Old 06-29-2004, 09:04 PM

Re: Re: Re: Anyone running an ATI F-1 blower?

Originally posted by Josh-'97 WS6
Most of the dimensions look the same as a D1, so I'm wondering about fit and placement. I assume ABS is a goner. Also, what brackets are you running?

Are you using off the shelf ATI intercooler, or a custom Spearco type like LJ's? I know ATI's twin intercooler setup will not flow enough to reach my goal.

Any other thoughts?
Hmmm....I dont know if the F1 will provide enough flow you need inorder to make 1krw. Most likely the F1r will make enough to get you to your goals. As far as brackets go, the F1 will fit the d1 bracket just fine. alot of people on here are using just that. As far as a tensioner goes, I would highly recomend going with a SD-Concepts unite as its a higher quality constructed peice.
Yes, you are correct that the twins will not support the f1's flow capabilitys(sp). I would go with a sheet metal intercooler from Jordan musser or ATI them selves. Hope that gets the ball started for ya.
Old 06-29-2004, 09:10 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Anyone running an ATI F-1 blower?

Originally posted by MEAN LT1
Hmmm....I dont know if the F1 will provide enough flow you need inorder to make 1krw. Most likely the F1r will make enough to get you to your goals. As far as brackets go, the F1 will fit the d1 bracket just fine. alot of people on here are using just that. As far as a tensioner goes, I would highly recomend going with a SD-Concepts unite as its a higher quality constructed peice.
Yes, you are correct that the twins will not support the f1's flow capabilitys(sp). I would go with a sheet metal intercooler from Jordan musser or ATI them selves. Hope that gets the ball started for ya.
I'm not looking for 1K RWHP, "just" flywheel. That is still a great amount of power for a street/strip car.

I've read quite a bit about ATI's tensioner issues. What is different between ATIs and Vortechs tensioners? Do you know SD Concepts website?

Thanks gentlemen.
Old 06-29-2004, 10:19 PM

http://www.sd-concepts.com/
Old 06-29-2004, 10:25 PM

Good answers so far. I am not using an IC but am using water injection from www.kennedysdynotune.com

My car has TC, we did have to move it a little but you can also just remove it if you prefer.

To really utilize a blower the size of the F1 or YS to the max you need a hella strong short block, upgraded drivetrain, mondo fuel system, huge injectors, etc. And you still are likely to be shy of 1,000hp if you plan to run pump gas. I don't think you can build a 23 degree head small block that will flow enough air to do this without an even bigger blower, more boost, and race gas.

The parts bill alone gets imposing even with "just" an F1 if you plan to max it out. Here's a rough PARTS estimate from mine.

blower/brackets/etc. $3,000
shortblock 6,000
valvetrain 1,500
fuel system inc. injectors, etc. 3,000
water inj. 500
drivetrain 5,500
heads 3,000
misc 2,000

That's $25,000 in parts. Doesn't include the labor that I had to farm out, tuning (which I do myself), etc. And it's not 1,000hp. More like 800-850hp without the nitrous. All the parts are high quality, you save a few hundred here or there. But it's a realistic ballpark. Each additional increment in hp costs a lot more than the one before and introduces it's own set of compromises.

Rich Krause
Old 06-30-2004, 06:41 AM

I agree with both statements made by MeanLT1 and rskrause. Another thing to add is you will have to grind a little on the block to get the F1 to fit properly. Also if you decide to run a front mount intercooler you will be looking to spend anywhere from 700-1100 depending on the dimensions and where you get it from. If you goal is 1000 hp then the F1 and YS are just not going to cut it.
Old 06-30-2004, 03:50 PM

IDOXLR8, Well, I'll get as close as I can to 1K with the F-1. I don't think I would be able to fit a blower bigger that. I can always add a small shot of N2O if I need to, which would probably be a big help to combat high IAT anyway.

Rich, thanks for the help. I am well aware of the costs, having choked down most of your list on my last car, only to lose it in a garage fire. You listed 6K for the shortblock. What components are you running? I was thinking Callies crank and rods, with JE pistons.