Exhaust System From headers to exhaust tips

Replacement intermediate pipe / over-the-axle on a Hooker catback

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 08:32 PM

Question Replacement intermediate pipe / over-the-axle on a Hooker catback

I've got a Hooker catback on my car, and the intermediate pipe and over-the-axle pipe are completely messed up--I had it sawed in three different places. A complete mess.

I suppose that I could try going the Summit route and buy another intermediate pipe like this one, but I'm worried about how well it will mate up to the Hooker muffler, which has a 3-bolt flange.

Has anyone ever had any luck purchasing just the intermediate pipe and the over-the-axle pipe, or will I just have to cough up the money for a new catback?

Thanks!
Old 06-04-2009, 10:42 AM

Have you considered consulting an exhaust shop to see if they can weld the pieces back together? It will probably be cheaper and easier then finding and purchasing new pipework.
Old 06-04-2009, 12:34 PM

Honestly, I don't think the pipes are in good enough condition to warrant welding. I placed an order for the WLK-54064 pipe in the driveshaft tunnel... I think that will put me in much better shape than what I've got now. I'll post up pics so everybody can see the shape of the pipes side-by-side.
Old 06-09-2009, 01:51 AM

The new Dynomax / Walker 54064 intermediate pipe arrived today. Overall it seems about on-par with the Hooker piece. One of the noticeable differences is that the Hooker is a straight shot with a 45 degree bend, whereas the Dynomax piece has a steady contour throughout the length that helps buy some extra clearance around the driveshaft towards the back.

You'll notice that the Dynomax piece is also a bit shorter at the bend that rises towards the axle. Based on the illustrations that I've seen online, it looks like they just designed the junction point beween the over-the-axle pipe to be at a lower position than the Hooker exhaust.

Tonight I placed an order for the Dynomax over-the-axle pipe. When it arrives on Thursday I'll remove the old exhaust completely to mock up how this setup looks vs. the official Hooker piping.

The first image on the left shows the new Dynomax piece compared to my hacked-to-hell Hooker unit. You can see where it was leaking profusely despite band clamps. The other images show how the angle of the rear portion looks. Unfortunately it's not a direct bolt-in with the Hooker over-the-axle unit, but I have a feeling that the Dynomax over-the-axle pipe will create a nice, clean-fitting combination. I'll keep you guys posted!

asdfasdfasf
Old 06-26-2009, 08:22 AM

I have a BN SS 3" Borla right angle pipe.