Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

Why you should Kare about "K" (the truth about stall speed)

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 11:28 PM

rskrause, thankyou for your time.. but I still need more clarification.

Are you saying that if I had a transbrake on, the torque convertor would prevent me from revving the engine to red line? And what ever that RPM is, that is my stall speed?

Now, without a transbrake, it's impossible to know what the actual stall speed is?

How about when the car shifts gears? Say I'm going WOT down the 1/4 mile. When the car shifts, it's only going to go so low right? would that be the true stall speed?
Old 05-25-2009, 07:53 AM

rskrause, thankyou for your time.. but I still need more clarification.

You're welcome!

Are you saying that if I had a transbrake on, the torque convertor would prevent me from revving the engine to red line? And what ever that RPM is, that is my stall speed?

Yes.

Now, without a transbrake, it's impossible to know what the actual stall speed is?

Yes.

How about when the car shifts gears? Say I'm going WOT down the 1/4 mile. When the car shifts, it's only going to go so low right? would that be the true stall speed?

No, because by definition stall speed occurs with the output side of the converter at zero rpm. In the circumstance you describe, the engine rpm will be higher than the stall speed.

The stall speed per se doesn't mean much because the only time you see it is if you use a transbrake and even then most cars actually launch better below the stall speed. For example, on my race car 3,000-3,500 rpm works best. But it is useful as a way of comparing converters in terms of how loose or tight the converter is.

Rich
Old 05-25-2009, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by rskrause
No, because by definition stall speed occurs with the output side of the converter at zero rpm. In the circumstance you describe, the engine rpm will be higher than the stall speed.
This is "flashing" right? this is where torque multiplication takes affect?
Originally Posted by rskrause
The stall speed per se doesn't mean much because the only time you see it is if you use a transbrake and even then most cars actually launch better below the stall speed. For example, on my race car 3,000-3,500 rpm works best. But it is useful as a way of comparing converters in terms of how loose or tight the converter is.

Rich
So if my goal is to find a torque converter that keeps my engine in it's power band, stall speed isn't what I need to be looking at?

What should I be looking at?
Old 05-25-2009, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by TUNDRKYS
This is "flashing" right? this is where torque multiplication takes affect?

So if my goal is to find a torque converter that keeps my engine in it's power band, stall speed isn't what I need to be looking at?

What should I be looking at?
No, that's how you compare how loose or tight it will be.

Rich
Old 01-26-2016, 07:21 PM

Re: Why you should Kare about "K" (the truth about stall speed)

I posted in another thread about converter swapping between stock GM converters to get what I need....my cars LS1 stalls at 1500 with 350ft/lbs,.. I was told I could use the factory (hi stall unit for a Trailblazer) which is an 1900-2100 stall....so behind my LS1 your formula would give me almost 2300 with that "hi stall" factory unit...if I'm correctly using your way of figuring that would be perfect for my very mild early type LS6 factory cam...Am I barking up the right tree? and will that unit hold up in a mostly gently driven daily driver??
Old 05-20-2016, 04:49 PM
Administrator

Re: Why you should Kare about "K" (the truth about stall speed)

Unfortunately Rich (rskrause) has not been back to this site for about 4 years.