Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

spinning sound

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 08:11 PM

spinning sound

hey fellas idk if im posting this in the right forum,whats going on is that i hear something spinning where the gear shifter is at,ill usually hear it when im downshifting to 2nd gear,or when im slowing down and throwing it in neutral. im not sure if its a grinding sound or what but its not affecting my speed or performance when im driving. Plus the whole plastic piece is missing that covers the gear shifter so basically its all exposed,idk if i hear because that whole thing is missing n im going nuts.... in August i had a whole new clutch kit put its a stage 3 racing performance one,idk if its because i hear thats due to the clutch having a lot of power? also had manual fluid done too

thank u for any suggestions
Old 09-11-2014, 09:34 PM

Re: spinning sound

maybe i didnt make it clear or make sense, sorry basically sometimes when i put it in 1st gear ill hear grinding where the shifter is at,also in reverse too but when i accelerate in any of those gears i wont hear the grinding.also when i downshift to slow down in 2nd gear ill hear the grinding but not as bad i just wanna kno if ill damage anything bc i just had this stage 3 competition clutch installed and idk if its bc the clutch has a lot of power.what do i need to check for the grinding issue.

i have the haynes manual said these things....
1.to check clutch spin down time run the engine at idle speed with tranny in neutral clutch pedal up.then push clutch pedal down wait several secs shift to reverse,no grinding should be heard. did that and i didnt have grinding. i can rule out pressure plate and clutch disc had those 2 changed.

2.complete clutch release check....run engine (parking brake applied)hold clutch pedal about 1/2 inch from floor.shift tranny into 1st and rev several times.if shift is hard or grinding occurs.check release cylinder pushrod travel.
i did that test and it only did that sometimes and my clutch pedal travel feels great no binding or play in it.
Old 09-12-2014, 08:55 AM
Administrator

Here's a link to the T56 shop manual. The "troubleshooting" section is limited, but does get into some specifics regarding grinding when putting it into gear. See page 1-2:

4th Gen LT1 F-body Tech Articles

Did you replace the pilot bushing when you changed the clutch?
Old 09-12-2014, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Here's a link to the T56 shop manual. The "troubleshooting" section is limited, but does get into some specifics regarding grinding when putting it into gear. See page 1-2:

4th Gen LT1 F-body Tech Articles

Did you replace the pilot bushing when you changed the clutch?
i dont think the pilot bushing got replaced Fred,whatever the clutch kit had is what got changed. Is the piot bushing underneath the clutch pedal if it is,is it an easy fix that i can do? i just hope the whole clutch doesnt need to be taken out
Old 09-13-2014, 11:19 AM
Administrator

The pilot bushing is in the center of the flywheel, it supports the front of the trans input shaft, which has a reduced diameter nose that inserts into the bushing.

It's just one possible cause of the gear clash problem. I would investigate all possible causes before jumping to the conclusion that it's the pilot bushing.
Old 09-13-2014, 09:26 PM

The pilot bushing is in the center of the flywheel, it supports the front of the trans input shaft, which has a reduced diameter nose that inserts into the bushing.

It's just one possible cause of the gear clash problem. I would investigate all possible causes before jumping to the conclusion that it's the pilot bushing.
my mechanic told me it was replaced Fred,um idk if its actually grinding as im downshifting to 2nd gear to slow down ill hear it a lil bit,but is it a real big deal to worry tho
Old 09-13-2014, 10:11 PM
Administrator

Can't tell without hearing it. You've described it as a spinning sound, then a grinding. If it's "spinning" doesn't sound serious. "Grinding", if it never did it before the clutch, sounds more serious.
Old 09-17-2014, 10:03 PM

Can't tell without hearing it. You've described it as a spinning sound, then a grinding. If it's "spinning" doesn't sound serious. "Grinding", if it never did it before the clutch, sounds more serious.
i think its been doing it before but i never recognized it i think im just paranoid on the car thats all,would the grinding sound be the sound if u were to put the car into gear without pushing the clutch in? because if its that sound thats not the sound im hearing....im able to put the car into all the gears without any issue (Shifter is soft clutch pedal has no play). ill keep driving and see if anything happens but so far its been great