Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

Problem with a 6 speed swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 04:42 PM

Problem with a 6 speed swap

I just finished my 4L60E to T56 swap. I have a newly rebuilt T56 with all the heavy duty goodies (built by a GM transmission tech on the side). I'm having issued with my reverse lockout. The car is really hard to get into reverse at idle, and the lockout is open when I'm driving. I have a stock shifter installed (which is loose as sh**) while waiting for my MGW short throw to arrive. I figured I had somehown wired the lockout backwards, so I swapped the wiring, but there is no change.

I have not put a 6 speed tune in the car yet. Is that causing the problem? I was wanting to break in the clutch nicely before I tune the car again, so I can do a good dyno tune and adjust my WOT settings.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!
Old 10-18-2012, 05:01 PM
Administrator

Re: Problem with a 6 speed swap

The PCM operates the reverse lockout and the skip shift solenoid. It has to be programmed for an M6 trans. Your speedo should be wayyyyy off without the M6 tune.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:11 PM

I know the PCM operates it, but from AFRESH's install guide makes it sound like the car can be fully driven without the M6 program and only the speedo being affected is mentioned. I put my new MGW shifter in today, and now I can't get into reverse at all. I haven't tried unplugging the reverse lockout solonoid yet, I'm going to try that in a few minutes.
Old 10-20-2012, 01:33 PM
Administrator

The key here is that the reverse lockout solenoid connects to PCM pin D6 with a manual trans. In a 94 A4 with the switched converter lockup, pin D6 is not used. In the 95 and up A4's that pin drives the PCM converter lockup.

But maybe AFRESH (whoever he is) has the key.

When you say "The car is really hard to get into reverse at idle..." do you mean you have a hard time moving the shift lever hard right into the "reverse" gate, or do you mean that once it is in the gate, the shifter will not shift the trans into reverse? When you are moving, can the lever be moved freely into the "reverse" gate, or is there resistance to moving the lever to the right?