Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

Play in tire rotation

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 11:26 AM

Play in tire rotation

I am in the middle of changing out my gear lube, and was inspecting the rear end. I have the car on stands now and put the car into neutral. I then proceeded to rotate the tires so I can inspect the ring, and how far gone it is. I will go on about that in a second.

When turning the tires I noticed it had a good bit of play from when I started turning the tire, to when it caught in the rear end. Kinda like when you have play in your steering wheel and can turn it a little left and right before it actually turns. Same thing here. What would cause this to happen in the rear end?

Secondly the ring gear is pretty sharp, and there was a good bit of metal caught on the cover magnet. All the teeth are there but the edges are all pretty sharp. I also noticed a nice little gouge on the rear cover. I took some pictures of it if you all want to see it (though I am thinking you all have seen it before). That and the fact that there was only maybe 1.5 cups of fluid that was in it.

I knew when I got the car that the rear was on the way out, so its not a big shock, but until I can fork over 2K+ on a new rear I would like to make this one last as long as I can, for as little as I can. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you
Old 11-22-2006, 01:06 PM

I found that the driver side mains on my diff were so loose that I could not only turn one of the nuts, but the top stud was about to fall out. Im sure that will help things have play in them a bit.

Tightened it all up cleaned it out really well, and loaded it up with Royal Purple gear lube. Im gonna intall a fuel pressure gauge and take it for a drive see how it turned out.