Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

Marble Between Crank and Trans ?????

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 09:47 AM

Marble Between Crank and Trans ?????

Hello, I just swapped from A4 to M6 .. Its a Viper Specs T56 .. My engine is also new and came with Spec Alum. Flywheel and Spec 3 Clutch. Today when I start the engine I heard the noise coming form shift. This noise gone when I press clutch pedal. Some people said that maybe the sound coming from marble (between flywheel & crank).. They said maybe engine builder forgot that.

I even don't know that part exist. Is there any opinion????
Old 07-18-2006, 11:18 AM

Re: Marble Between Crank and Trans ?????

sounds like throw out bearing
Old 07-18-2006, 01:01 PM

any pictures of throw out bearing??? Is there any posibility to forget it before install the flywheel and clutch ??????
Old 07-18-2006, 04:34 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by JustNO
any pictures of throw out bearing??? Is there any posibility to forget it before install the flywheel and clutch ??????
You install the T/O bearing when you install the pressure plate. Its always possible to forget the T/O bearing, but if you did, the fork would not be able to move the clutch fingers to disengage it.

Did you do the A4->M6 swap yourself? If you did, you should have a pretty good idea what the T/O bearing is and what it does.
Old 07-18-2006, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
You install the T/O bearing when you install the pressure plate. Its always possible to forget the T/O bearing, but if you did, the fork would not be able to move the clutch fingers to disengage it.

Did you do the A4->M6 swap yourself? If you did, you should have a pretty good idea what the T/O bearing is and what it does.
The engine came with Flywheel and Clutch. We just connected the transmission with clutch. I didn't the swap my self, but its not the thing. I want a picture for T/O bearing because if I see I will understand whats that. (in my country every parts have a different name, and still there are some names in english that I couldn't learn like T/O Bearing)

The people who did swap told me a marble is covered by something, and if the engine builder forgot that something, this would be the reason of that sound. So tomorrow before we drop the trans I wanted to ask you what could it be.

Last edited by JustNO; 07-18-2006 at 05:06 PM.
Old 07-18-2006, 06:18 PM

sounds liek you didnt install the clip on the throwout bearing to me...i almost did this..ooops
Old 07-18-2006, 09:19 PM

Mine does the same thing, and I did a T56 swap. I tried putting in a new throwout bearing when I changed the clutch, but the noise is still there, and it doesn't go away until the clutch is completly disengaged. It's embarassing too, but I kind of learned to live with it.
Old 07-19-2006, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
Mine does the same thing, and I did a T56 swap. I tried putting in a new throwout bearing when I changed the clutch, but the noise is still there, and it doesn't go away until the clutch is completly disengaged. It's embarassing too, but I kind of learned to live with it.
Today we drop the trans with flywheel and clutch. Everything is there, no missing. I think you are right. Maybe this is all about SPEC. Maybe when I get the center consol the sound will be dissapear.
Old 07-19-2006, 09:21 AM

What about the pilot bearing/bushing in the end of the crankshaft? Does it have one? It'll run without one, but will be noisey and lead to front/countergear shaft bearing wear in the transmission.
Doug
Old 07-19-2006, 09:44 AM

if the pilot bearing is missing, when I press the clutch pedal the nois is gone?

I did a big search to find the pictures, but couldn't find any. I mean I found the pictures but I don't know the parts name. I post some pictures here maybe you can tell me the name of parts.
Old 07-19-2006, 09:47 AM
Super Moderator

Is it possible that he's just hearing the layshaft spinning when the clutch is engaged and the shifter in neutral? I can hear it in mine (at least, that's what I think I'm hearing), but only if the car isn't moving.
Old 07-19-2006, 09:50 AM

Here can you see throw out bearing or pilot bearing?? (This isn't my car)

Old 07-19-2006, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
Is it possible that he's just hearing the layshaft spinning when the clutch is engaged and the shifter in neutral? I can hear it in mine (at least, that's what I think I'm hearing), but only if the car isn't moving.
Yeah yeah thats it. The problem is I just swapped from A4 and this is my first time to hear Spec 3 and I don't know the nois is normal or not.