Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

F-Body Driveshafts???

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2004, 05:40 PM
Banned

F-Body Driveshafts???

So what's the deal, I bought a new driveshaft out of like a 2001 Firebird V6 which has the 4L60E in it and it won't fit in my 96 SS M6??? WTF?? The yokes look EXACTLY the same but like it wont go all the way in the tailshaft of the tranny Like I have to REALLY FORCE IT.. My LS1 aluminum shaft doesn't do this... Neither did my stock shaft...

So my ? is are the shaft's all the same??? This shaft is the exact length and the yoke looks the same so whats the deal?
Old 01-09-2004, 10:48 AM

I have never heard of anyone using a 4th gen V6 driveshaft in a V8. Also, I thought the V6 driveshafts were 2 piece? I guess they must have changed them in the later models? I assume the one you have must be a 1 piece or there would be an obvious problem there. Anyway, if it's not slipping into the tailshaft of the trans easily I would definitely not try to force it, it must not work. Also, why are you swithching out an LS1 ds for one from a V6 car anyway?
Old 01-09-2004, 12:46 PM
Banned

Originally posted by GREGG 97Z
I have never heard of anyone using a 4th gen V6 driveshaft in a V8. Also, I thought the V6 driveshafts were 2 piece? I guess they must have changed them in the later models? I assume the one you have must be a 1 piece or there would be an obvious problem there. Anyway, if it's not slipping into the tailshaft of the trans easily I would definitely not try to force it, it must not work. Also, why are you swithching out an LS1 ds for one from a V6 car anyway?
Yea they are all the same.. I found out from another source.. THis is only a ONE piece shaft as well..

Im switching it because the LS1 shaft is junk and I know it's not going to hold for my 1.4 60's and low ten sec times much longer so it's gotta go

I chose the V6 shaft because it was a 2001, it was a V6 and an auto at that.. THis way I knew that even if the previous owner drove like a maniac there isn't any harm they could have done with a car that doesn't make any power
Old 01-09-2004, 12:57 PM

If you are running low 10's why would you want to use a driveshaft from a V6 car? I'm not sure how strong they are but I can't imagine GM put a better ds in the V6 cars than they did the V8's. I know the LS1 ds isn't the strongest, I've seen and heard of many people breaking them. I would think you would want to go with one of the stronger aftermarket shafts out there though with the kind of power you're putting down.
Old 01-09-2004, 01:40 PM

Originally posted by GREGG 97Z
If you are running low 10's why would you want to use a driveshaft from a V6 car? I'm not sure how strong they are but I can't imagine GM put a better ds in the V6 cars than they did the V8's. I know the LS1 ds isn't the strongest, I've seen and heard of many people breaking them. I would think you would want to go with one of the stronger aftermarket shafts out there though with the kind of power you're putting down.
Agree strongly with the above.

Rich Krause
Old 01-09-2004, 03:03 PM
Banned

WOW you guys know a lot

The shaft they put in the newer V6 f-bodys is the EXACT SAME steel shaft that they been using in the LT1 Z28's and SS's for years... They are plenty strong... I know plenty of people pulling sick times with them and have ZERO problems...

WHy waste money on $hit I don't need when cheaper more ready parts work just fine
Old 01-09-2004, 03:16 PM

Originally posted by InjectedSS
WOW you guys know a lot

Ok, you're right. Maybe all you need is a BFH to get that ds all the way into the tailshaft, I'm sure it will work fine then. Good luck with it.
Old 01-09-2004, 08:46 PM

With a lot of horsepower, why chance a driveshaft breaking and destroying stuff along the way? This is one part that can do a lot of damage if it breaks. Go with a 3" mild steel driveshaft. Dennys and PST are good. Spohn makes one too. I had a local shop make mine, with 1350 U-joints of course. Aluminum ones are good too, but aren't as durable as steel shafts, that's a fact.
Old 01-15-2004, 04:52 PM

WOW you guys know a lot

The shaft they put in the newer V6 f-bodys is the EXACT SAME steel shaft that they been using in the LT1 Z28's and SS's for years... They are plenty strong... I know plenty of people pulling sick times with them and have ZERO problems...

WHy waste money on $hit I don't need when cheaper more ready parts work just fine
Your attitude is forcing me to say this.

If YOU were so smart you'd recognize that a large amount of LT1 people like to ditch their steel driveshaft in lieu of an LS1 driveshaft when they start to make power and cut hard short times. I'm not trying to start anything, but what you're saying is making no sense.
Old 01-16-2004, 12:12 PM
Administrator

WOW you guys know a lot

Must really be wonderful to have all the answers.....

I bow to your superior knowledge.
Old 01-16-2004, 09:22 PM

WOW you guys know a lot
Yeah they apparently do, your probably the first to want to put a V6 DS in a 10sec car??? Why come on here and act like an a$$ when people take the time to post helpful replys. The LS1 DS has proven over time to be a better DS than the ones that came in LT1's, why take the chance, get a good aftermarket shaft if your that worried about it to swap a DS that hasen't failed for an inferior one...
Old 01-17-2004, 01:20 PM

but when you get down to 10 second times on the aluminum shaft it kinda curls up into a ball (figure of speech but it does twist all to hell). the steel shaft won't do it but his best bet would be the lingfelter 3 1/2 monster shaft
Old 01-17-2004, 01:22 PM

and calm down on him ppl, he is just trying to save a buck, aren't we all?

look at his other post on clutches, he has done us all a GREAT favor or atleast me. i just hope the stage 4 isn't an on/off engaging clutch
Old 01-17-2004, 01:34 PM

You obviously didn't see his tirades in a cam topic in LT1 tech then.
Old 01-17-2004, 01:51 PM

if he is truthful about how fast his car is i think i would take his opinion over most others.

Quick Reply: F-Body Driveshafts???