Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

Decisions, decisions.....TH400/200-R4 (RSKrause)

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2003, 06:52 AM

Decisions, decisions.....TH400/200-R4 (RSKrause)

I have been having a bit of a hard time deciding on what tranny swap to do.

Needless to say my 4L60E is on its very last legs....

I was seriously considering a TH400 strictly for the strength...on the flipside, I'm not looking to spend another $2K on an OD kit even though I really would prefer OD.

Then of course a T56 swap came to mind since, with a good clutch, it would more than hold what I plan on doing.

But now my buddy just sent me a little article on the 200-R4 which has definitely grabbed my attention.

After doing a search I really haven't found much information as far as costs, ease of installation, etc.....

Anybody have any input on the 200-R4? Rich...I know that you were looking at about everything under the sun before you chose the 400....did you consider a 200?

Thanks for any help.
Old 08-19-2003, 08:29 AM

F-bud: to give you some decent insight, please indicate a little more about your combo and how you drive it. 1/4 mile times and hp numbers would be useful. Additionally, it would help to know what rear end gears you are running.

Before going into any more detail though, I can tell you I would have stayed with the T56 if I thought it would stand up to my current combo.

Rich Krause
Old 08-19-2003, 09:03 AM

Sorry...should have given a bit more detail.

Current setup is basically all boltons plus P&P'd H/I and a moderate cam.

I haven't done much racing this year due to work schedule and working on the car. It's a daily driver but won't be driven in the winter except on nice days.

I'll be starting my forged 383 buildup within the next couple of months. Low compression for FI but I haven't finalized on S/C or turbo. I'm leaning toward the turbo (PTK) but still waiting on the Turbolocity kit to come out.

The rear will also be swapped for a 12 bolt. Currently I'm using 3.73's but was considering a shorter gear if I went with the TH400 so it will (hopefully) be a little more friendly on the highway.

S/C I would most likely go with a D1SC and turbo I'm still debating between the T66 and T72.

I'm still looking to keep this a daily driver during the summer months and luckily smog isn't an issue.

One of the main reasons I was somewhat hesitating on the T56 is that I plan on bracket racing quite a bit more next season and I love the consistency of an automatic. Not to mention that my last 2 Camaro's have been A4's and I'm admittedly rusty in the M6 department.

Forgive me if this post is bouncing around a bit....I'm just finishing up a 13 hour shift and am looking forward to getting a good day's sleep.
Old 08-19-2003, 04:18 PM

IT sounds like you are planning to have over 700hp. If not I would say stick to the 4L60 and have it properly built. The 2004R is a good choice and one I'll prolly make myself. It is good to 980HP or so with the right builder and offers excellent efficiency and t-brake option. It also has a little better gear ratios IMO than the 4l60. If you are planning a t-brake and didn't get the rear yet, I would recommend a 9" with a locker or spool.
Old 08-19-2003, 04:23 PM

Here is a link for one of the best 2004R builders in the world:

PTS Xtreme Transmissions

In your case you might have the tranny shipped to you and then get a local builder to install it. The conversion can be tricky so it would be best if you could find someone who has done it before.
Old 08-19-2003, 06:38 PM

Originally posted by GhostZ
I'm leaning toward the turbo (PTK) but still waiting on the Turbolocity kit to come out.

The LT-1 kit from Turbolocity is being finished up this week and should be available very soon! The LS-1 kit will hopefully be in the next month. They are waiting on a part that is back ordered. (I wanted a specific color otherwise that would probably be done too)
Old 08-19-2003, 09:19 PM

Someone suggested a spool, my opinion, FWIW: Forget the idea of a spool, it's completely non-streetable. Flat out dangerous as well as unpleasant and very hard on rear tires. A locker is something some people can live with on the street, but I couldn't. Very unpleasant when it locks/unlocks.

Back to trannys: I don't know a lot about putting a 700R4 in a 4th gen. Assuming the conversion can be done easily, I still wonder about the size of the input shaft and the weight/power of a blown 4th gen. I know the tubo Buick guys are using them, so I'd suggest findiong some of those guys to see who is building them and what parts they are using.

Rich Krause
Old 08-19-2003, 09:35 PM

I appreciate everyone's help on this.

And thanks for the link Tekprodave....I'm going to talk to my tranny guy at the track this weekend and see what he thinks about the different options. I know that he was leaning towards the TH400 for me but I'll see what he has to say about the 200.

Senor Krause...I agree with you on the spool. I want to attempt to keep this as streetable as possible for what it is.

qwkrnu...thanks for the update. It's going to be December/January before I finalize on which kit so that should give plenty of time to see how well the turbolocity kit works out.

Again...thanks for everyone's help. I'll do some more research on the 200 and post up any info I can find.
Old 08-20-2003, 10:38 AM

Originally posted by GhostZ
I appreciate everyone's help on this.

And thanks for the link Tekprodave....I'm going to talk to my tranny guy at the track this weekend and see what he thinks about the different options. I know that he was leaning towards the TH400 for me but I'll see what he has to say about the 200.

Again...thanks for everyone's help. I'll do some more research on the 200 and post up any info I can find.
The turbo 400 will be a bit cheaper but you lose the overdrive. The link I posted is for the best 2004R builder in the country in my opinion. Bruce Toelle is the guy you want to talk to and he is the owner. Tell him I sent you and he'll treat you right. They are catering to car clubs right now so you might want to mention that also. He also owns the Turbobuick.com site and they have a board there also. There is a lot to the conversion but no more than a TH400 conversion. As far as the weight issue, turbo buicks are just as heavy and just as potent. Many are running well into the single digit 1/4 mile times with a 2004R.