Drag Racing Technique Improve your track times

When your at the track...

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2005, 08:37 PM

When your at the track...

i have been thinking a lot about taking my car to teh track and seeing how it does.... but one thing has been scaring me

I see posts on here about people saying they loose control of thier cars when the are racing down the track...

What causes this and is there anything i can do to better help me not do that? Im guessing it has something to do with suspension and the way you drive.... maybe?

Thanks
Dakota
Old 09-29-2005, 11:15 PM

Re: When your at the track...

Probably the number one reason for losing control, badly, is a mechanical failure. Something like that could happen at any time not just at the track.

It really depends on what you mean by losing control. Sometimes it's just traction. If a track is cold and slippery, every time you shift gears, the tires can break loose and cause problems.

The only problems I have at the track are usually on the starting line. My car launches hard and pulls to the right. I haven't had time to adjust the suspension yet to straighten it out. After the 60' mark, my runs are smooth unless traction is poor but when it is, I'm not usually going down the track anyway.
Old 09-30-2005, 12:27 PM
Administrator

The car in your sig is basically stock. If you launch at the track and it goes to the right or left something is wrong with the car you you should get it looked at by a mechanic. I have over 4000 passes on my car with no accidents.

Just use common sense. If the car heads for a wall, take your foot off the gas. I mean if you "get on it" on the highway and it goes straight, the odds of a problem at the track are pretty slim since the lanes are wide straight and flat.

The last time I was worried about not going straight was when I blew a tranny hose just after the launch and the car shot toward the wall but I have a lot more power than you and I had more than ample time to get out of the throttle and pull over to the side of the lane (so I minimized oil in the groove).
Old 09-30-2005, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by tnthub
The last time I was worried about not going straight was when I blew a tranny hose just after the launch and the car shot toward the wall but I have a lot more power than you and I had more than ample time to get out of the throttle and pull over to the side of the lane (so I minimized oil in the groove).

Sounds like you are a very good racer/driver Not many racers. Will do that. They will continue go down the track if they can. Anyways glad you did not get hurt.

Cliff
Old 10-01-2005, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by cliff929
Sounds like you are a very good racer/driver Not many racers. Will do that. They will continue go down the track if they can. Anyways glad you did not get hurt.

Cliff

That's cuz half the people that do that are *******s. Granted the other half probably don't know something broke and they don't have traction problems. Ted knows what's up, I wish more people that have problems at the track were like him. It's a major pain in the *** having to wait an hour or more for a 1/4 mile clean up.