Drag Racing Technique Improve your track times

Stay Away From Summit Racing!

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2003, 12:11 AM

Deleted post, as "religious zeal - spin and opinion" was added to hard facts. Recovering from kidney cancer surgery. I am in pain, on pain meds and grouchy.

Last edited by I CORNER1; 05-14-2003 at 08:14 PM.
Old 05-11-2003, 01:53 AM

It's called a restocking fee. All companies do it including Jegs and PAW.

Maybe you should buy the parts you need. The less parts you return, the less you'll pay in restocking fees.

For the shocks, you should get a replacement set since you were supposed to have purchased a new set.

For everything else, you should be aware of what you order the first time. Buying something that doesn't fit isn't the stores fault.
Old 05-11-2003, 06:34 AM

i have been dealing with Summit for over 10 years,and the 15% is standard restocking fee.
The shocks were a bum deal.
The Taylor plug boots not fitting arent summit's fault,heck even the Taylor catalog doesnt SPECIFY the boots wont fit 10.4 mm wires.

Sorry you had some bad dealings with them,but not all mail order houses are great.
I waited 2 months for 1 wheel from jegs,when it was "supposed" to be in stock........chance you take when dealing with mail order.
Old 05-11-2003, 11:34 AM
Administrator

1. Shocks:

Sounds like a bad deal... so what did you do about it, and did Summit replace them?

2. Wires:

You can't expect the sales people at Summit to know details to the level of what fits or doesn't fit on the ends of the plug wires on an LT1 - I doubt 90% of the people here could answer the question. Did you check with Taylor before you bought them? Did you check the ends before you cut the wire?

3. Surplus parts

No sympathy at all on that one... they were 100% correct.

Unless you can say you told them about the shocks in a reasonable period of time and they refused to do anything about them, you have a weak case, IMHO.
Old 05-11-2003, 12:49 PM

Thumbs up

Sounds like a bad deal on the shocks.
I've had good luck with them for years and a few cars. BUT you need to know EXACTLY what you need before you order. Great place to get stuff at a good price, but their Tech is scary at times.
Steve...
Old 05-11-2003, 02:29 PM

Just a thought...

If people wouldnt buy parts with the intent of returning a large portion of them for trail and error purposes, then maybe there would be no need have restocking fees, and surely with the lower volume of returns, there would be less mixups (like the shocks).

I find it ironic that you're complaining about a problem that you've helped to create.
Old 05-11-2003, 03:06 PM

Going on ten years now. Most times I have my parts the next day if I order in the morning. No problems returning items. Got a hurst shifter from them one time looked used( scratchs etc.) called them and they sent me a new one. Never had a single problem with them.
Old 05-11-2003, 06:06 PM

I've been using Summit for well over 10 years and never had a problem.Prices are pretty good,quick delivery and delivery is free.
Old 05-11-2003, 10:14 PM

You can make the lt1 boots fit by taking a drill and drilling out the hole for the wires. I honestly don't see the need for 10.4's cause they are just 8.8's with another exterior shield.

Steven
Old 05-12-2003, 06:12 AM

it is unfortunate that you had those problems with summit. no mail order parts business will make everyone happy every time. I have had worse dealings with jeg's moreso then summit,but i still use both as i know custom/aftermarket parts can be hit or miss on ANY level.

That's also a good thing about living where we do,you can choose who you want to do business with,in this case jegs over summit.

Good luck with your future projects/purchases.
Old 05-12-2003, 07:57 AM

I've had extremely good results with Summit, but I've always ordered exactly what I knew I needed. I've talked to several of the smaller F-body vendors and they said their biggest problem was customers who ordered the wrong parts for their application and then expected the seller to pay for the mistake. I can imagine with Summit that problem is amplified given they deal with a fairly wide range of vehicles.

Hope things work out for you.

TJ
Old 05-12-2003, 01:59 PM

You are every shop's worse nightmare!! I own a performance shop and a body shop. I don't care what you do for a living, it's hard for ANYBODY to get time to work on their projects. That's why you PLAN, then EXECUTE. Not order half the damn catalog then return what you don't need. Guess what, it costs money to pay someone to pull, package, and ship your parts. It also costs money to unpack, sort, restock, and issue your refund of the surplus you decided you don't need. The only thing you mentioned that is remotely Summit's fault is the shocks. Everything else is your own ignorance and poor planning. Your the same type of guy that drops off a car for a custom paint job or engine with the famous "I don't care how long it takes, I just want it right" line. Until, how long it takes doesn't coincide with what you have in your mind as how long it "should" take. Then you wanna bad mouth the shop all over town because it takes time to do quality work. I'll tell you the same thing I tell my customers, you can have it done "right", or you can have it done "right now", but you can't have both, you decide. If you spent as much time planning your project before placing your order as you have crying about how no one else will take responsability your mistakes, you'd be alot better off.

And THAT, ladies and gentlemen, is my $.02!

Last edited by RADLT1MO; 05-12-2003 at 02:32 PM.
Old 05-12-2003, 02:23 PM

Damn...

I'd say that's at least $.05...